aussie floyd?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
davelucs
Embryo
Embryo

aussie floyd?

Post by davelucs »

i am off to see the "aussie floyd show" in bolton tomorrow night.
really looking forward to it. has anyone seen them, am i right to expect great things??
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Seen them a few times, can't seem make my mind up about tribute bands of any sort. Just isn't the same is it.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Yeah I saw them once. I remember they used a synthy saxaphone instead of a real one during shine on and they played too many post-roger songs for my liking.

For a tribute band they didn't really look the part either. They're kind of fat and middle aged. I'd rather they'd have chosen to mimic the floyd during the 70s not as they are now.
johnjohnstone
Knife
Knife

Post by johnjohnstone »

I've seen them a few times, and really like them. Their stage show is excellent and musically, they're spot on. I'll be going to see them in Morecambe next month.
davelucs
Embryo
Embryo

Post by davelucs »

...got tickets for morecambe too.
ahaseurus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ahaseurus »

decampos wrote:Yeah I saw them once. I remember they used a synthy saxaphone instead of a real one during shine on and they played too many post-roger songs for my liking.

For a tribute band they didn't really look the part either. They're kind of fat and middle aged. I'd rather they'd have chosen to mimic the floyd during the 70s not as they are now.
I saw them in Bristol last night and thought they were excellent. They used a real saxophone on all the sax parts and only played 3 post-Waters songs out of a two-and-a-half hour set.

As to their appearance - none of us can help getting fat and middle aged, that doesn't mean we should be disqualified from playing the music that we want to play. The Oz Floyd are a tribute band and not a bunch of Floyd impersonators. Musically they were as close to the real thing as you're going to find, and visually the slick light show and clever back projections more than made up for the fact that they didn't look like the Floyd.

Let your ears be the judge. Highly recommended.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

ahaseurus wrote:
decampos wrote:Yeah I saw them once. I remember they used a synthy saxaphone instead of a real one during shine on and they played too many post-roger songs for my liking.

I saw them in Bristol last night and thought they were excellent. They used a real saxophone on all the sax parts and only played 3 post-Waters songs out of a two-and-a-half hour set.

As to their appearance - none of us can help getting fat and middle aged, that doesn't mean we should be disqualified from playing the music that we want to play. The Oz Floyd are a tribute band and not a bunch of Floyd impersonators. Musically they were as close to the real thing as you're going to find, and visually the slick light show and clever back projections more than made up for the fact that they didn't look like the Floyd.

Let your ears be the judge. Highly recommended.
I'm sure some of you can help getting fat. Eat less pies and move around some more.

I don't want to have to use my imagination when seeing a tribute band. I want the experience to be as though I was really there in the 70s.

I don't believe they're 'musically as close to the real thing as you're going to find'. Pink Fraud are far closer to the Floyd sound in my opinion and they also look like the Floyd c.1971 (although Gilmour's a little bit c.1979). As for the 'slick light shows' - that's more a nod to the post-roger floyd so I'm not really interested in that part of the show.
mooninjune
Axe
Axe

Post by mooninjune »

I seen them about 3 or 4 years and i remember thinking they sounded spot on, almost note perfect, iwas impressed (although i was totally
p!ssed.)
I seen think pink and they were sh!te (that was about 6 years ago and i think they have new members now, so they might be better), too much adlib work on the guitar which wasn't at all in gilmours style.
ahaseurus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ahaseurus »

[quote="decampos
I don't want to have to use my imagination when seeing a tribute band. I want the experience to be as though I was really there in the 70s.

I don't believe they're 'musically as close to the real thing as you're going to find'. Pink Fraud are far closer to the Floyd sound in my opinion and they also look like the Floyd c.1971 (although Gilmour's a little bit c.1979). As for the 'slick light shows' - that's more a nod to the post-roger floyd so I'm not really interested in that part of the show.[/quote]

At the risk of starting a war of words - why the intolerance? Agreed, if what you are looking for is a bunch of pretend Floyd clones, then give them a miss - this is not the band for you!

However, if you just want a good night out. listening to the music of PF played live (and played well in my opinion!) then give them a listen.

We shouldn't have to reduce everything to comparisons of who looks most like, or who sounds most like the Floyd. I would love to be able to step back in time and experience PF in their glorious heyday of the early 70's - but that ain't gonna happen. If we want to hear Floyd music played live we have no option but to rely on tribute bands, and not everyone with the requisite musical ability to play this stuff is going to look like the appropriate member of Floyd.

If you decide that tribute bends in general are not for you - that's fine, no problem. If you don't mind tribute bands as long as they look like the real thing - that's ok too, it's your choice. But let's not descend to knocking a band who've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into the show they put on, purely on the basis that they don't look like Floyd and that they play some Floyd stuff which is not from the "golden age"!

If you've seen the Oz PF and really don't like them - I'm not going to change your mind (nor am I trying to). All I ask is for a less blinkered approach and a more considered argument as to their merits/demerits.
benryves
Axe
Axe

Post by benryves »

I've seen the video from their site, and listened to a few clips -- no, is all I can say. Pink Fraud were better - they just sounded more like the original Floyd. The sound was spot on, and the "light show" they had was little more than back projection and flat washes of colour through fog (not like the laser light shows of the later Floyd)

Pictures:
http://www.pinkfraud.co.uk/gllry.htm
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

benryves wrote:I've seen the video from their site, and listened to a few clips -- no, is all I can say. Pink Fraud were better - they just sounded more like the original Floyd. The sound was spot on, and the "light show" they had was little more than back projection and flat washes of colour through fog (not like the laser light shows of the later Floyd)

Pictures:
http://www.pinkfraud.co.uk/gllry.htm
right on brother
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

ahaseurus wrote: At the risk of starting a war of words - why the intolerance? Agreed, if what you are looking for is a bunch of pretend Floyd clones, then give them a miss - this is not the band for you!

However, if you just want a good night out. listening to the music of PF played live (and played well in my opinion!) then give them a listen.

We shouldn't have to reduce everything to comparisons of who looks most like, or who sounds most like the Floyd. I would love to be able to step back in time and experience PF in their glorious heyday of the early 70's - but that ain't gonna happen. If we want to hear Floyd music played live we have no option but to rely on tribute bands, and not everyone with the requisite musical ability to play this stuff is going to look like the appropriate member of Floyd.

If you decide that tribute bends in general are not for you - that's fine, no problem. If you don't mind tribute bands as long as they look like the real thing - that's ok too, it's your choice. But let's not descend to knocking a band who've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into the show they put on, purely on the basis that they don't look like Floyd and that they play some Floyd stuff which is not from the "golden age"!

If you've seen the Oz PF and really don't like them - I'm not going to change your mind (nor am I trying to). All I ask is for a less blinkered approach and a more considered argument as to their merits/demerits.
I don't know what you mean by that last part. I'm well aware of what the Australian Pink Floyd do. The arguments I have against them are very well considered as can be read in my previous posts.

A tribute band that only sounds like the Floyd is just a few notches up from seeing a pub band of rocking dads. You're rubbishing the notion of tribute bands making the effort to look the part. I think visuals on that level are very important - as you say: "I would love to be able to step back in time and experience PF in their glorious heyday of the early 70's - but that ain't gonna happen" at least with Pink Fraud, you're as close as you can get to that actually happening.