The End of Pink Floyd

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

The End of Pink Floyd

Post by nosaj »

I was really thinking about the song Flickering Flame (see Roger Waters section) and came to the realization that Pink Floyd may really be through forever. ITAOT and ITF appear to do several things. ITAOT seems to me to be an album Roger said yes to if PF finally came to an end. I think Roger has a lot of sway in what gets released in many respects. With this, he is able to have a new release that compliments his own tour and the ITF album. Flickering Flame has a number of layers to it. But one intrigues me, the sense that he will be the last to lay down his guns in the battle of PF. Like a native to his land/band. He is released from this pressure as well as the others in the song. He is back to love. Performing his songs...

So, we might expect his supposed solo album will have a concept. But, Dave. I think Dave would make a nice all around pop album with many flavours. It'll happen. I'm sure I'll like both. And you know, with Pink Floyd out of the way it may free them up a bit. But, we will be wondering which one's Pink. I think ITAOT and ITF are Roger's exclamation of victory, with Flickering Flame as the laid bare guiding principle and declaration. I hope it's the last, and that subtext ends (though it has at times been strangely fun). These two better get on with it, and that includes more "archival" releases.
NewEarthMud

Obscured by Clouds - VINYL

Post by NewEarthMud »

oops.. wrong thread
Last edited by NewEarthMud on Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

I was really thinking about the song Flickering Flame (see Roger Waters section) and came to the realization that Pink Floyd may really be through forever.
Hope you're wrong (but I don't think so), I'm really tired of loosing favourite bands, started with Genesis after W&W (The later Genesis is another band), followed with ELP (Love Beach and later stuff is not worth paying 2 cents), PFM, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, and now Pink Floyd, this is too much.

I'm too old to learn to listen new genres of music so I'll remain faithfull to my old albums and DVD's and the few new bands l?ike Magenta, Echolyn or Glass Hammer who are worth listening.

Iv
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

If Nick Mason put out another solo album I will still consider it a division of the Floyd... same as the other members. The more members in the band the stronger they are. But apart they are elements of PF. :shock:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Yeah, I can't wait for Nick to do something really noticebly his own. But what I think, is that if PF is over, no legal problems, the solo work might benefit from not trying to outdo eachother and trying to be Pink. I think Dave could make a really cool, raw album like his first, that is not the techno wonder that is Pink Floyd. Or how about the fun of all lovers are deranged...it's more him, like one slip. Roger would presumably do the concept thing - but maybe not. We'll see after the opera I guess, though, Dave's Choral thing on his latest DVD seems to have a, you can do operas, and I can do french songs and Shakspear... will the subtle battle ever end?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Re: The End of Pink Floyd

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

nosaj wrote:Flickering Flame has a number of layers to it. But one intrigues me, the sense that he will be the last to lay down his guns in the battle of PF. Like a native to his land/band.
So would this analogy mean that:

Roger was a native to the land Pink Floyd. Along came a new settler (David) and they co-existed in harmony, but soon battles ensued and eventually David took over the land. But one day, the restless native will rise again?

---

OK, what about the line with his ego letting go (leggo my ego!) of his end of the bone...doesn't that sort of contradict the other meaning?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I hope pink floyd never make another album, that would just be a great way of runing a legacy that was almost already ruined
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

David Smith wrote:I hope pink floyd never make another album, that would just be a great way of runing a legacy that was almost already ruined
I agree on that. I mean, I guess the PF legacy is not SO ruined, I mean, MLOR and TDB (with all their bad and good things) can't ruin a legacy built on such strong albums as DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall... but, they should not make another album. Anyway, I believe that they have to make some kind of official announcement... I feel like Dave is keeping the name 'in reserve', never agreeing to say 'PF is over definitely'...
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Legacy Shmegacy... Id take a new album anyday!
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Especially with Roger back on the board!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote:Especially with Roger back on the board!
And i was thinking a new album was unlikely :lol:
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I know it's impossible, but.....
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

In the bottom of our hearts... :cry:
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

If PF did release a new record I would buy it, but i would not be expecting much from it. I havent really been too impressed with Dave or Roger's stuff that has been released in the past decade or so. So, if by some cosmic powerful way they did reunite, I don't think it would be of the caliber of their earlier stuff at all. Then again, you never know!