Dark Side of the Moon - Project Observing Group Creativity

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
HarryFan
Embryo
Embryo

Dark Side of the Moon - Project Observing Group Creativity

Post by HarryFan »

I am taking a class called "Creativity in Managers" on my journey to obtaining my masters degree.

One of the Projects involves observing group creativity. I have been listening to a lot of Dark Side of the Moon lately and I thought that it would be a fun assignment to observe the band discussing the creativity process that they used to develop the "Album of the 70's".

The group creativity process is a cycle with 9 parts.
1) How the band observed existence (back in '72) in terms of Matter, Energy, Space, and Time.
2) How the band members risked conflict with one another due to their different thinking and behavioral styles (eg: Logic vs Intuition, Synthesis vs Analysis).
3) How the band thought about developing alliances to help them to complete the task at hand.
4) How the band members formed intention to fulfill the dream.
5) How they generated options
6) Developing Prototypes
7) Energizing their decision by considering what is needed, what will be left behind, and what to reject.
8) Evaluate how reality was changed
9) Discuss the pursuit of excellence. How were improvements made.
(This process was developed by Dr. Stuart Wells)

I bought the new The Dark Side of the Moon DVD to guide me. I also have Pompeii. I can access the DSM press release. I also found a useful BBC interview with the band. All of these provide some detail on the process the band went through to create the album.

This is a lot of work writing this paper. Yet this is such an exciting topic to write about. I feel an obligation to the band to do a great job and accurately protray their endeavor in creating Dark Side of the Moon.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

You must post your full report when your done!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Yes, let us know what you come up with...music from the body by Roger Waters and a lot of other little elements between 1969 and 1972 point to DSotM - it's amazing that you can hear Us and Them and Great Gig germanating in some 1970 live recordings...
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Listen to OBC. That record was recorded for a soundtrack in 10 days (Feb '72 I believe) and is full of little things that can be found in Dark Side.