Pink Floyd's Quadrophnica

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Pink Floyd's Quadrophnica

Post by Meddler »

Has anyone ever heard Pink Floyd in quadraphonic? 4 channels of sound in a square around you, for those who dont know... As far as I know they mixed Atom Heart Mother, DSOTM, and WYWH this way. There is one of Animals floating around but it is faked. I found the original Quad mix of Dark Side and WYWH. And let me just say it was awesome! I'm thinking about making them available, to people who dont have the time or means to download it from emule and burn them to a disc... The only thing is, you have to have DTS playback capabilities. Those of you who dont know if you have it or not find out. Those of you who do, would this be something you would be interested in?

Here's a good article about Alan's Quad mix for Dark Side of the Moon:

http://www.stereosociety.com/body_foursides.html
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

Excellent Meddler :wink: I grew up in the quad era and remember both DSOTM and Quadrophenia (The Who) but they were both played on a Quad system. Will Surround deliver quad?

I recently got a line on WISH YOU WERE HERE QUAD AND DEFF MIX (ROIO?) and WISH YOU WERE HERE COLLECTOR'S EDITION(Commercial) which includes the alternate tracks. They're low on my list of 'need to get' because I can only play them in stereo but I undersand that they are unique mixes of the WYWH music.

And just 'cause I'm blabberin'...

Did you know that Pink Floyd (specifically Dave) invented Quad? Just ask Dave :lol: He'll confirm it :wink: It was originally called Quadrasonic sound and was used during their shows and, eventually, concerts. It was controlled by a gizmo called an Azimuth Coordinator. The Azimuth Coordinator was eventually bought by little Billy Gates for use in his Flight Sim game and was renamed 'joystick' :^o

But I digress and I'm sure you know all this stuff.
Happy listening :D
Choi dude
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

The DTS puts it in the four speakers. So it does work. No center speaker is used. So its just like quadrasonic ;)
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Went to The Orb and they played in quadraphonic sound !!
andeerik
Axe
Axe

Post by andeerik »

I got DsotM and Wywh aswell. It's exellent..
But thought that both AHM and Meddler was available i Quad.. But not been able to find them.
The thing is that almost every Floyd album is available i fake quad, and on this site http://www.floyd4u.biz you can see all about it, kind of... (think I found the site from this forum some time ago actually:-)
I also have the A Collection Of Great Quad Songs, but not been able to burn them as DTS.. They are in shn format (for some reason), and whatever I do I'm not able to get them to play on my dvdpalyer (please help me:-).
But I think this is a must for all the fans out there with a DTS system. (use DC(++) and you probably find them as large 4-500MB.gi files)

GO QUAD!!!
TheVegetableMan
Axe
Axe

Post by TheVegetableMan »

I own the original 3 Floyd albums done in QUAD on vinyl. They do kick ass.

The DSOTM Quad vinyl pressing is quite different to the new SACD mix.

Meddle was also supposed to be released in QUAD, but was scrapped for some reason. Man, ECHOES in QUAD would have made me sh**.

I used to collect Quad vinyl exclusively for awhile and aquired some interesting items

Sanatana - Abarax
Country Joe and The Fish - Best Of
Doors - Best Of
Simon And Garfunkels - Bridge Over Troubeld Waters
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
Mike Oldfield - Boxset (includes Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Heritage Ridge and Collaborations)
Tangerine Dream (Double Package Vinyl) Alpha Centauri/Electronic Meditation
Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation/Apostrophe

I may have forgotten one or two.....
johnjohnstone
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd's Quadrophnica

Post by johnjohnstone »

Meddler wrote:I'm thinking about making them available, to people who dont have the time or means to download it from emule and burn them to a disc... The only thing is, you have to have DTS playback capabilities. Those of you who dont know if you have it or not find out. Those of you who do, would this be something you would be interested in?
Meddler,

I've got DTS and would be very interested in getting hold of these on CD
benryves
Axe
Axe

Post by benryves »

Is there any way some kind soul could "rip" the tracks into two separate stereo MP3 files? (Is this even possible?) I've got a Quad sound card in my PC - most of my DVDs are old and have "faked" surround - watching "The Wall" on it made me jump -- one of the first surround sounds is of a shell whizzing past behind you. I have since turned down my rear speakers :)
I'd love it if someone could find a way to do so. I have the 5.1 SACD of DSOTM, but can't play it in all its goodness :(
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

benryves wrote:Is there any way some kind soul could "rip" the tracks into two separate stereo MP3 files? (Is this even possible?) I've got a Quad sound card in my PC - most of my DVDs are old and have "faked" surround - watching "The Wall" on it made me jump -- one of the first surround sounds is of a shell whizzing past behind you. I have since turned down my rear speakers :)
I'd love it if someone could find a way to do so. I have the 5.1 SACD of DSOTM, but can't play it in all its goodness :(
Ive seen the quad versions of wywh and dsotm for download, the files are names like welcome to the machine (reear channel mix) or something similar, so it is possible.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Jack Dempsey wrote:Went to The Orb and they played in quadraphonic sound !!
That must have been fabulous. They create some of the most fantastics sounds. I love to listen to them when I'm driving on a long trip. Unless I get very tired, then I like to pull over, take a nap listening to the rest of the album. Dreamy.
andeerik
Axe
Axe

Post by andeerik »

Alternative 4 wrote:
benryves wrote:Is there any way some kind soul could "rip" the tracks into two separate stereo MP3 files? (Is this even possible?) I've got a Quad sound card in my PC - most of my DVDs are old and have "faked" surround - watching "The Wall" on it made me jump -- one of the first surround sounds is of a shell whizzing past behind you. I have since turned down my rear speakers :)
Ive seen the quad versions of wywh and dsotm for download, the files are names like welcome to the machine (reear channel mix) or something similar, so it is possible.
Dark side is often called (mine is) pfdsotm_dts.gi 434MB and
WYWH is called owl-pinkdts.gi 454MB
and you have to burn them with Stomp RecordNow Max
Use DC(++) and you would probably find them pretty soon.. I did:-) just try some big hubs...
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I used Nero for mine, works perfectly!
Dydion
Axe
Axe

Post by Dydion »

Of the Quad mixes, all three have been done in dts by fans. DSotM was done several times, the last one being from SACD, some kind of way. Sounds great! They ALL do. Animals in dts is my personal favorite.

NONE of them are done by the dts company and ALL of them are homegrown and rolled by savvy fans.

I saw a couple of posts here and there where someone would be quite vehement about Animals being fake quad in dts...yes, Animals was also done in dts, but the fan never claimed that it was a conversion from a quad mix. It's a stereo-to-dts conversion. Some people may have thought it was a fake quad because the first song, POTW pt1, did not use the center channel. The rest of the album used all the channels., and it sounds damn good. :mrgreen:

Warning to people who want to listen to the dts (Digital Theater Surround) CDs: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BURN AND LISTEN TO A DTS CD IF YOUR AMPLIFIER/STEREO SETUP DOES NOT EXPLICITLY DECODE DTS AUDIO!! YOU WILL ONLY HEAR NOISE AND IT CAN VERY WELL RUIN YOUR SPEAKERS.
benryves
Axe
Axe

Post by benryves »

Unless my DVD drive can decode DTS through a DVD playing piece of sotfware, these files won't be much use to me. I can't even find any of these tracks anyway. I've had a hard time finding any PF mp3, and finding it in quad with separate files for front and rear is even harder (as such I haven't found it at all).
If anyone can provide some links (I've tried Hotbot/Google searches-- nothing) I'd be very grateful.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I got my from the p2p program emule. Try that. And I know I said Animals if a fake, but what I ment is it wasnt originaly recorded in quad then converted to DTS. DTS is just the means for the quad to be played. And when I tried playing Animals it just came up ad dolby stereo not DTS or 5.1. So I might just got a bad Animals DTS file.