Pink Floyd's Quadrophnica

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
benryves
Axe
Axe

Post by benryves »

Seeing as I'm on a school system I can't install any p2p stuff - all my downloads must come from web pages via http (ftp kinda works, but is given a low priority so it's pretty slow).
Dydion
Axe
Axe

Post by Dydion »

Meddler wrote:I got my from the p2p program emule. Try that. And I know I said Animals if a fake, but what I ment is it wasnt originaly recorded in quad then converted to DTS. DTS is just the means for the quad to be played. And when I tried playing Animals it just came up ad dolby stereo not DTS or 5.1. So I might just got a bad Animals DTS file.
You're not the only one who has complained about the 'fake quad.' And I find it interesting that you said it came up as dolby stereo. The two formats are incompatible. It is possible that somebody pulled a fast one, or somebody thinks that the 'd' in dts stands for dolby and encoded it as such. Bleh. DTS beats dolby anytime in MY book. You won't hear discrete channels, or the discrete quad channels...after all, dts is a 5.1 mix. But it is clear.

I have never heard a pure quad Floyd mix. I would like very much to hear the SACD, though, when I get rich and buy an SACD player... :roll:
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I actually like the quad mix better than the sacd.
benryves
Axe
Axe

Post by benryves »

Well, I've listened to the 5.1 mix at last -- very nice, even if you think the Quad mix is better. :)
Land into Gold
Axe
Axe

Post by Land into Gold »

I own DSOTM in this format plus quite a bit of other vinyl - the sound quality is superb. Only problem is, I don't own a quad player anymore!
benryves
Axe
Axe

Post by benryves »

bobh
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bobh »

I have the Atom Heart Mother double CD ROIO. The first CD is described as quadrophonic and the second is alternate tracks.
The CDs are SQ-P003/4 and the packaging is very professional.
I do not know what equipment I would need to listen in quad
The tracks sound fine, though I suspect that they were transcribed from vinyl as there are the odd pops and clicks.

AHM was the first PF LP I bought, some 23 years ago and I still consider AHM to be the ultimate PF track (closely followed by echoes) so would be quite keen to listen in quad.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:
Jack Dempsey wrote:Went to The Orb and they played in quadraphonic sound !!
That must have been fabulous. They create some of the most fantastics sounds. I love to listen to them when I'm driving on a long trip. Unless I get very tired, then I like to pull over, take a nap listening to the rest of the album. Dreamy.
Yeah it was a class gig.
They are still knocking around although i think it's just Alex Paterson now.
Have to keep an eye out for them.
What about An ever pulsating brain that grows from the centre of the underworld (think that's what it's called).... now that is was you call utter brilliance.
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

Post by Sir. Psychedelic Soul »

i listen to all my floyd cd's on my theatre system whihc is 5.1 and DTS compatibe and i can usually notice different channels for the tunes...espeically money...wow does that sound amazing....the "chi ching" sounds from the register come from teh back speakers adn then the bass comes from teh front adn the guitar from the 2 front speakers .....it soudns ace.
benryves
Axe
Axe

Post by benryves »

On the SACD the "chi-ching" sounds come from all the speakers (as in each separate part of the "chi-ching" sample comes through a different one). On the Run is the ultimate in 5.1-- hearing the footsteps running around the room :) Very cool stuff.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Sorry to go with this Orb thing, but there was another thread that asked who the new Pink Floyd were... well none. But the Orb reminds me of the early trippy period of PF, I think Orblivion has the cover that plays off the Animals cover?

I had DSotM Quad on vinyl many years ago, but never got around to hearing it properly.

Dave invented Quad? I don't believe it. If anything, I thought Syd came up with the idea for the Free Games For May gig.
wicco
Embryo
Embryo

Post by wicco »

(Hello all!)

I got the WYWH DTS yesterday and :

It is simply the most amazing thing I ever heard. I noticed several differences from the "remastered cd" i have - just amazing. crystal clear sound, roger & richard behind me & david in front :)

Just quite simply beutiful...

Just wanna clear up something : the DTS DSOTM that is floating around, is that mixed from the SACD or from the original quad ?