Pink Floyd research paper

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
dc_disciple
Blade
Blade

Pink Floyd research paper

Post by dc_disciple »

Hello to all, for my Engilish 101 class I have to do a research paper, and I chose to do mine on my favorite band. I plan to write about the band's entire history, from their inception to the present. I am going to look at the historical perspective and also write about how their music has changed over time. I am looking for some research, and I know that the Syd Barret book recently came out, so Im looking into that, but are there any other books on Pink Floyd? Also if anyone knows some really good essays or bio's, that would be helpful. I thank anyone who might be able to help.

Dan
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Bricks In The Wall by Karl Dallas, A Saucerful Of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey by Nicholas Schaffner and Which One's Pink by Phil Rose are three of the best books I've read on Floyd.

Pink Floyd A Visual Documentary by Miles is also quite good as I recall (I've only read it in bookstores and cannot find a copy to purchase now.)

As for essays...hell, just type "Pink Floyd essays" into Google or Metacrawler and see what comes up.

You are in a good place to get answers to questions...I think someone here ought to be able to answer just about any question you may have on Pink Floyd.

Hell...ten years ago I helped a friend of mine get an A on a paper about Floyd. His instructor said "I didn't know there was this much to know about Pink Floyd."
HarryFan
Embryo
Embryo

BBC Has a Documentary

Post by HarryFan »

I am also writing about the Floyd for a school project (Post: Dark Side of the Moon - Project Observing Group Creativity").

For your purposes, this BBC Documentary bt Bob Harris may be helpful.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/doc ... loyd.shtml

It covers much of the period of time of the band.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

mosespa wrote:I think someone here ought to be able to answer just about any question you may have on Pink Floyd.
:lol: I believe you were the guy that used to claim he knew everything, before you stated that you look like your mother. :lol: Or am I remebering things the wrong way.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd research paper

Post by Keith Jordan »

dc_disciple wrote:Hello to all, for my Engilish 101 class I have to do a research paper, and I chose to do mine on my favorite band. I plan to write about the band's entire history, from their inception to the present. I am going to look at the historical perspective and also write about how their music has changed over time. I am looking for some research, and I know that the Syd Barret book recently came out, so Im looking into that, but are there any other books on Pink Floyd? Also if anyone knows some really good essays or bio's, that would be helpful. I thank anyone who might be able to help.

Dan
The "pink floyd" story in the features section of this site will help. A good few hours of audio about the history of the floyd!!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/featu ... hp?p=0&n=0
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ganaffe wrote::lol: I believe you were the guy that used to claim he knew everything, before you stated that you look like your mother. :lol: Or am I remebering things the wrong way.
No...you're remembering things the right way...and I plan on returning to that signature eventually.

It needed a coffee break or it was gonna quit.

"Vito," from the Signature's Union politely suggested that it would be in the best interests of good relations between "God, I hate knowing everything..........." and my kneecaps to let 'im have some time off.

Sounded good to me.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

mosespa wrote:Hell...ten years ago I helped a friend of mine get an A on a paper about Floyd. His instructor said "I didn't know there was this much to know about Pink Floyd."
He says this with no signs of an overactive ego :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:...overactive ego...

Me?? :shock:

NEVER!!! :twisted:
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

and also write about how their music has changed over time
I'd suggest downloading a few concerts, also. From the early years and the later, to see how all of their music flows. You can easily trace songs like a saucerful of secrets and the violent sequence, recorded in 68-69 to early versions of the great gig in the sky, and to current versions of Us and Them.

It's realtively easy to follow the transition of their music.