Atom Heart Mother - Video

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
crunged
Embryo
Embryo

Atom Heart Mother - Video

Post by crunged »

All,

Glad to see so many floyd followers out there.

Just wondered on the back of Pompei DVD and KQED - Is there any know concert footage of the band performing Atom Heart mother?

I suppose what i really would like to know is how much footage of the band is there pre 1980?

Cheers.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

There are lots of footage I suppose. I've seen a few snippets from the KQED performance in the spring of 1970, looks very nice, a great DVD possibly. Also there is some footage from the Rainbow Theatre 1972, with the band peforming the early Dark Side Of The Moon - this is partly available on the Dark Side Of The Moon DVD. I myself wish there was something from the 1977 tour, which is probably my all-time favourite.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Well...the KQED show has them performing AHM...and I think the video anthology VCD's available on ebay have a live performance of it.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I've got them performing it in Japan which is reasonable picture-wise but the sound is pretty awful. The KQED performance is good but for about half of it the band is replaced by an undulating landscape of farmland.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

How many Floyd heads are fustrated by the lack of live concert footage from the 70's and the wall gigs. As far as i can remember the footage of the Wall shown on the documetary Behind The Wall looked professionally filmed, so who's holding all the aces ?????
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Jack Dempsey wrote:How many Floyd heads are fustrated by the lack of live concert footage from the 70's and the wall gigs. As far as i can remember the footage of the Wall shown on the documetary Behind The Wall looked professionally filmed, so who's holding all the aces ?????
Good Old Rog
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Jack Dempsey wrote:How many Floyd heads are fustrated by the lack of live concert footage from the 70's and the wall gigs.
Here's another!
Jack Dempsey wrote:As far as i can remember the footage of the Wall shown on the documetary Behind The Wall looked professionally filmed, so who's holding all the aces ?????
I'd like a DVD of that documentary (at least). The footage looks great.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Jack Dempsey wrote:How many Floyd heads are fustrated by the lack of live concert footage from the 70's and the wall gigs.
Not me.

But then, I have two shows from The Wall gigs on video, the KQED show, the video anothology on VCD, Pompeii and if you really use your head, you can figure out which films on PULSE and Delicate Sound Of Thunder accompanied the Seventies shows.

Perhaps this is an oversimplified view, but this is how I see it...there IS a wealth of Floyd video footage out there if you just go looking for it. What most of it bears out is that Pompeii shows a "typical" performance as far as what the guys were doing onstage (which really can be summed up in the phrase "not a hell of a lot.") I think that my imagination of what the light shows might have been like are probably more exciting that what the actual light shows were, so, combine these two things together while you're listening to an ROIO or even a studio album and it's probably actually better than watching video footage.

Admittedly, there are two things that I would like to add to my collection, but I don't think they exist...

1.) Footage of the animation that was shown during SOYCD (which is where the falling leaf man in The Trial came from.)

2.) A complete Animals show.

I would say that the chances of this stuff showing up are less than a snowball in hell, but I once thought that about a complete Wall show...and, as I've already said, I have not one...but TWO.

So, maybe there is SOME kind of hope out there. I've already seen a 20 second clip from '77...maybe there's more somewhere.
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

I've got them performing it in Japan which is reasonable picture-wise but the sound is pretty awful. The KQED performance is good but for about half of it the band is replaced by an undulating landscape of farmland.
1971-08-09

Anyway, there are some 1968 shows around that were flimed, kqed, some promo videos of sysyphus, ASOS, and a multitude of others the pompeii Divx, the 1970 kralingen fair with celestial voices (smoking), and part of set the controls. 1971-08-15 with get to know your pink floyd, it has a little bit of Set the controls on that. 1973 may 18 or 1972 on june 29, i don't know the exact date, it has careful with that axe eugene filmed, and it's simply amazing. Those are the ones that come to mind, i'm sure there are a few more.

Oh yes, home movie footage of 1972-09-22 - has a lot of interesting stuff on that. the 1975 show in april mentioned above, roland petit ballet, although, that was studio work... that's all i can think of.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

mosespa wrote:
Not me.

But then, I have two shows from The Wall gigs on video
these two shows are horrendously generated and (in my opinion) almost unwatchable.
mosespa wrote:
there IS a wealth of Floyd video footage out there if you just go looking for it.
Yeah but, there's nothing professionally filmed from after the release of Dark Side, the wish you were here tour and the animals tour. I dunno about you guys but I've never enjoyed watching someone's home movies of gigs.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

decampos wrote: I dunno about you guys but I've never enjoyed watching someone's home movies of gigs.
I view it as being better than nothing.

Could just be me, though.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Ive always wondered if the GOOD wall shows were actually taped in Germany...no one ever remembers the shows in germany....maybe they're the missing link!
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

mosespa wrote:
Not me.

But then, I have two shows from The Wall gigs on video, the KQED show, the video anothology on VCD, Pompeii and if you really use your head, you can figure out which films on PULSE and Delicate Sound Of Thunder accompanied the Seventies shows.

Perhaps this is an oversimplified view, but this is how I see it...there IS a wealth of Floyd video footage out there if you just go looking for it. What most of it bears out is that Pompeii shows a "typical" performance as far as what the guys were doing onstage (which really can be summed up in the phrase "not a hell of a lot.") I think that my imagination of what the light shows might have been like are probably more exciting that what the actual light shows were, so, combine these two things together while you're listening to an ROIO or even a studio album and it's probably actually better than watching video footage.

Admittedly, there are two things that I would like to add to my collection, but I don't think they exist...

1.) Footage of the animation that was shown during SOYCD (which is where the falling leaf man in The Trial came from.)

2.) A complete Animals show.

I would say that the chances of this stuff showing up are less than a snowball in hell, but I once thought that about a complete Wall show...and, as I've already said, I have not one...but TWO.

So, maybe there is SOME kind of hope out there. I've already seen a 20 second clip from '77...maybe there's more somewhere.
I have a copy of the Wall from Nasseu, and how anyone can call that watchable is beyond me.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The Earls Court show is infinitely better.

Sure, it's another multi-generation videotape and the picture's a bit grainy...but, COME ON, MAN...

For years we've been told that there is NO surviving footage of The Wall shows...Two (not one, but TWO) complete shows have surfaced and people are complaining because they're not "pristine" enough for ya?
:roll:

Give me a break.

Tell ya what...anyone who has one or both of these shows who is so dissatisfied with the quality of the images and/or sound that they never watch them anymore...PM me and I'll give you my mailing address and you can send them to me.

I'll keep them as the copies I watch so that MY copies can sit safely on the shelf.

I assure you, they WILL be watched plenty at my house.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

My first answer sounded really smart sorry.

I really want a copy of these shows.