Should we...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Should we have a top thirty Floyd songs list?

Yes
68%
No
23%
Probably
10%

Total votes: 31

princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I have a lot of time because I'm admitted in the hospital because of an infection that went bad
not to be off topic but what happene Ridan? I hope you get better.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I really like the idea, but I agree it would be lots of work... And, Ridan, you shouldn't work too much now!
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Yikes, Ridan, I hope you get better soon! Scary!

It doesn't really matter one way or another to me though regarding the song project as I don't really have the time to contribute to it.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Ridan wrote:I have a lot of time because I'm admitted in the hospital because of an infection that went bad :(
Sorry to hear that Ridan, get well soon!

A list of all offical Floyd releases is easily made (I think we should leave ROIO tracks out of the question for the moment, we would end up with a list of something like 1 million items).

I suppose we could use a system in which each registered user can enter his personal top 10/20/30. Maybe it's nice to make it possible to rank you're personal 'bottom 10' as well. I think it would be nice if the personal rankings are editable by the user afterwards, should keep the list a bit dynamic, I guess.
If the system then could count the votes and calculate the average ranking in some way, it would be cool. But the design of such a system is clearly far beyond my ability :-s I'm trying to do a little bit of webdesign on my own homepage and for the band I'm in... but I'm really a newbie for that matter :D

Is there anybody out there who could design something like this? That fact that you're asking Meddler, somehow makes me think he's the man :wink:
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

A thing like that will take lots of work. Perhaps it'd be better to make it manually - I mean - each member sends the Top 10 and Bottom 10 list on some e-mail address, a team of people (I volunteer) will sort it out and publish the results on the forum. Then, in probably a one month time, another Top 10/Bottom 10 list will be sent for the new members to get included and for the old members who'd like to make changes. All members who won't re-send the list will have their previous (most recent) list included. This will be repeated periodically. This system will take a lots of work as well, but it seems more feasible than the wholly computed thing to me.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

great idea :wink:
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

ganaffe wrote: A list of all offical Floyd releases is easily made (I think we should leave ROIO tracks out of the question for the moment, we would end up with a list of something like 1 million items).
Sorry ganaffe, totally disagree here. Off the top of my head I'd say possibly 10 to 20% of Floyds' best material is found in ROIO. I know where you're coming from though; the size of the project could increase 10-fold with their inclusion... :shock: hmmm... let's see what happens 8-[
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

This is quickly looking like a long term project but the more it settles into my pink little brain, the more it seems like a very good thing to do. But it does have the possibilty of having interesting and exciting interim results.

Ridan. I offer to you a list of all commercial albums with songs, and a second list of all ROIO (CD only, for now) albums with songs and dates taken from http://www.pf-roio.de/. I can have this ready in less than 2 weeks.

I really think you might have conceived a golden egg here, bud.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

Libbywaters74D wrote:not to be off topic but what happene Ridan? I hope you get better.
I went for a swim with some friends and got attacked by jellyfish and then I got a bacterial infection on top of that. It's funny and excruciatingly painful ;)

Thanks Pugs and Anna :)
ganaffe wrote:Sorry to hear that Ridan, get well soon!
Thanks Ganaffe :)
ganaffe wrote:

A list of all offical Floyd releases is easily made (I think we should leave ROIO tracks out of the question for the moment, we would end up with a list of something like 1 million items).
I was thinking along the lines. RoIOs is out of the question for the moment.
ganaffe wrote:I suppose we could use a system in which each registered user can enter his personal top 10/20/30. Maybe it's nice to make it possible to rank you're personal 'bottom 10' as well. I think it would be nice if the personal rankings are editable by the user afterwards, should keep the list a bit dynamic, I guess.
I like this idea. It got me thinking. We could give people a few days time to send their top 10/20 to a particular email address and then we could sort it out.

Yeah Meddler is good with such stuff and it's easy to bug him from time to time ;)
Flame-Sky Diver wrote:A thing like that will take lots of work. Perhaps it'd be better to make it manually - I mean - each member sends the Top 10 and Bottom 10 list on some e-mail address,
I like this idea :)
Mooner wrote:Sorry ganaffe, totally disagree here. Off the top of my head I'd say possibly 10 to 20% of Floyds' best material is found in ROIO. I know where you're coming from though; the size of the project could increase 10-fold with their inclusion... :shock: hmmm... let's see what happens 8-[
It's interesting but it would get way too hectic and time consuming. We could save this idea for a rainy day ;)
Mooner wrote:This is quickly looking like a long term project but the more it settles into my pink little brain, the more it seems like a very good thing to do. But it does have the possibilty of having interesting and exciting interim results.

Ridan. I offer to you a list of all commercial albums with songs, and a second list of all ROIO (CD only, for now) albums with songs and dates taken from http://www.pf-roio.de/. I can have this ready in less than 2 weeks.

I really think you might have conceived a golden egg here, bud.
Thanks a lot Mooner. It would be interesing and keep me busy will I warm this bed for another couple weeks. I hate using the crutches so I prefer sitting and working rather than walking around ;)

---

Officially released songs from the following albums will be included. Any objections, suggestions etc. are welcome.

1. The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn
2. Saucerful Of Secrets
3. More
4. Ummagumma
5. Atom Heart Mother
6. Relics
7. Meddle
8. Obscured By Clouds
9. Dark Side Of The Moon
10. Wish You Were Here
11. Animals
12. The Wall
13. The final cut
14. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
15. Delicate Sound Of Thunder
16. The Division Bell
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Ridan wrote:
Libbywaters74D wrote:not to be off topic but what happene Ridan? I hope you get better.
I went for a swim with some friends and got attacked by jellyfish and then I got a bacterial infection on top of that. It's funny and excruciatingly painful ;)
ouch! :? hmmm. I read that urine would help? or thats what i saw in TV show. they peed on hes hand which got burned. :shock:
ah, that just sucks. Get well. :) You should have started thread or something and all the NPF males would have run to serve you. :lol:

EDIT: oh wait! urine works on those underwater spikeballs. :lol: Or I think it should work on jellyfishes too. :?:
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Yeah it's a great idea, but we could be debating for a long time about this one. I don't know about the rest of you, but my opinion of say a top 10 changes often.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

Diin Jaffa wrote:ouch! :? hmmm. I read that urine would help? or thats what i saw in TV show. they peed on hes hand which got burned. :shock:
Thanks I prefer Morphine :wink: :lol:
Diin Jaffa wrote:You should have started thread or something and all the NPF males would have run to serve you. :lol:
*Cough* What's your point huh? :wink:
Jack Dempsey wrote:Yeah it's a great idea, but we could be debating for a long time about this one. I don't know about the rest of you, but my opinion of say a top 10 changes often.
A healthy debate is good, don't you think? :D

Making a list of top thirty 'all time classics' is what I have in mind.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Ridan wrote:
Diin Jaffa wrote:ouch! :? hmmm. I read that urine would help? or thats what i saw in TV show. they peed on hes hand which got burned. :shock:
Thanks I prefer Morphine :wink: :lol:
Diin Jaffa wrote:You should have started thread or something and all the NPF males would have run to serve you. :lol:
*Cough* What's your point huh? :wink:
Jack Dempsey wrote:Yeah it's a great idea, but we could be debating for a long time about this one. I don't know about the rest of you, but my opinion of say a top 10 changes often.
Look forward to it !!

A healthy debate is good, don't you think? :D

Making a list of top thirty 'all time classics' is what I have in mind.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Ridan wrote:Officially released songs from the following albums will be included. Any objections, suggestions etc. are welcome.

1. The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn
2. Saucerful Of Secrets
3. More
4. Ummagumma
5. Atom Heart Mother
6. Relics
7. Meddle
8. Obscured By Clouds
9. Dark Side Of The Moon
10. Wish You Were Here
11. Animals
12. The Wall
13. The final cut
14. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
15. Delicate Sound Of Thunder
16. The Division Bell
We definitely should include the 'Works' compilation, just for the studio track of Embryo.. it would be unforgivable to forget Embryo :x
I admit that the take on 'Works' isn't that great, but the song is and it should be on the list.

A few other tracks that should be on the list, imo, are the early singles:

Candy and a current bun
Apples and oranges
It would be so nice
Point me at the sky

They can be found on several compilations.

And I suppose we should have: When the tigers broke free
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

That's a good idea Ganaffe.