Floyd Graduate Thesis committee

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Floyd Graduate Thesis committee

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Suppose you are in graduate school at Pink Floyd University (doesn't matter what your major is...can be any discipline) and everyone that teaches there has been in/is associated with Pink Floyd in a professional manner (family members of the Floyd do not count), i.e., Syd, Rog, Dave, Nick, Rick plus artists Gerald and Storm and the late Steve O'Rourke, plus anyone else you can think of. You need to choose four people for your committee. Who do you choose?

I choose Roger as my major professor, Nick, Gerald Scarfe and Syd, but have Storm as a backup in case Syd is not able to make it or forgets or something.

Don't ask me what made me think of this...I think I was having some bad flashbacks....
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Does the question frighten you? :twisted:
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Not really! I think it's amusing!
Wow, a Floyd University would be so cool....it'd be like on Bill and Ted's, only with the Floyd...
I wouldn't pick Roger as my major professor, coz he reminds me too much of one of my actual professors, who might end up as my graduate prof. and I really don't like him.

Since I study Graphic Design, I guess I'd have Storm as major, and then Scarfe, Rick coz I like him, and i guess Dave, coz he's there, and I'd need something to look at. :o
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

For me the question is just confusing. Maybe just since I never finished at the university. I've taken enough classes, but never got to the degree part. I could never focus myself on one area long enough.

Anyway, not knowing exactly what you speak of...

I'd say Nick and Rick first, since they seem to be the easiest to influance. Next I'd maybe say Scarfe (does he count? I know he wasn't in Floyd in any REAL way) just because the guy is of the artist world and free thinking. Finally I'd choose Syd since he might be more willing to see outside the standards.

You see, I wouldn't choose Roger because he can be rigid and un-yeilding. David has shown that he can say one thing, and do another. He has acted as if he could care a less about PF on one hand and then make a big deal about it in another.

I don't know, maybe I don't understand the question well enough to answer it well.
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Well, I dunno how it works for europeans and Americans, concerning college, and degrees. The sole thought of going to California to study animation 3 years from now, scares me to death.
I've read several catalogues and such, but I'm still confused...!

This is how it works wher we I live: you pick a major (which is pretty much final, unless you want a Master's degree, though some schools offer minors, mine does, which are Art bachelor and some other art-related degree ), and if everything goes well, you'll reach your last year, where you're supposed to work on a final project, in order to get your major. Your title. your diploma. A piece of cardboard, proudly displayed in your office.
Since there are many people attemting to do that, a specific teacher will pick you to be on their group, and work on a project.
I know of 4-5 teachers who take in a group for that final term.
The groups are small, so they can all work on a single project; sometimes it's more than one professor, and you can also ask things to other members of the staff thus, you get a working commitee, and a review comitee, at the end of the term.
At least that's how my School does it.

BTW, hypothetically speaking of course, what kind of majors would there be at a Floyd University...?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Tinkerbell wrote:Not really! I think it's amusing!
Wow, a Floyd University would be so cool....it'd be like on Bill and Ted's, only with the Floyd...
Yes, it would be so cool! I just got to thinking that they're all sort of that age that my profs were or thereabouts and I just started fantasizing what it if was Roger instead of Larry J. (not that Larry was bad...he was the nicest of them all, R.I.P, Larry), Nick instead of Richard R. (Mr. Stinky), Gerald instead of Dan R. (Mr. obnoxious Chicago artist ego) and Syd instead of Pat F. (Pistol Packin' Pat)... or hell, any of them instead of the crew I had to take credits from. Yes, I think Roger would be a bit intimidating and rigid, but I'd still want him to head my committee (as he probably wouldn't want it any other way!)

DP&S, I think you understood the question quite well, even though you think you didn't! When I went to graduate school, they didn't explain it to me any better, and that was real life...or maybe not.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I'd choose Storm, Nick, Richard and Roger. Don't know why exactly, but I can't imagine Syd or Dave teaching something...
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I'd choose Dave to head it up, because I have such a deep respect and admiration for him, although he WOULD be tough; and Storm, Nick, and Rick.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

Roger Waters as the main professor, Nick Mason, Gerald Scarfe and Storm