Finally!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

When it comes to official releases: they were only released as solo tracks by Syd. There are some of those 'outtakes' RoIO's which contain studio versions of the songs by Pink Floyd. And on very early live RoIO's (from 1967, I think) the songs are played live by Pink Floyd.
In september and november of 1967, scream the last scream was played live and recorded by the audience. There were also 1 or 2 recordings of scream the last scream by the BBC. As for vegetable man, i think it was only recorded at the BBC.

I think both should be added, personally. I mean, they were both studio recorded and they were both played live with all of the original members of pink floyd.

I think that would make it very confusing. Therefore, here's the good news. After this one is done, and I hope it's a success, I'll start one on the live versions of Pink Floyd
I'm guessing you mean soundboard/commercially released live concerts? Because that would be quite a list you'd have to put together if you took into account roios :p
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Official releases

Post by ganaffe »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
ganaffe wrote:When it comes to official releases: they were only released as solo tracks by Syd.
Sorry but there are no official releases of them by Syd solo, I dont think there are any solo recordings of these by Syd. Theres the Top Gear versions and the studio recordings in various states, some with the Laughing Gnome style overdub, some without, each have surfaced in either stereo or mono.
:oops: You're right... I have them on a compilation which is credited to Syd, I thought it was an official compilation, but it's a bootleg... Sorry for the wrong information. :wink:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Official releases

Post by simpledumbpilot »

ganaffe wrote:
simpledumbpilot wrote: Sorry but there are no official releases of them by Syd solo, I dont think there are any solo recordings of these by Syd. Theres the Top Gear versions and the studio recordings in various states, some with the Laughing Gnome style overdub, some without, each have surfaced in either stereo or mono.
:oops: You're right... I have them on a compilation which is credited to Syd, I thought it was an official compilation, but it's a bootleg... Sorry for the wrong information. :wink:
No drama Ganaffe, easily done. Boots can be deceptive. When the British Winter Tour 74 boot surfaced on vinyl just prior to the WYWH album it managed to sell a couple of hundred thousand copies due to people thinking it was the new Floyd album!
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

OK. Voting ceased. It was a little fascist of me to post the list and feel happy :roll:

There are so many officially released singles that people want on that list and SimpleDumbPilot you have a point. People may not vote.

Though I've recieved 2 lists as of yet, they are safe with me.

First we are going to make a list. ALL OF US! Whoever wants to take part. Simple, right?

There might be some songs I'm not aware of, that were officially released. Let's give it another week, what do you say?

Let us let you make the list. Pink Floyd experts like Ganaffe, Simpledumbpilot and others with their knowledge will filter the songs and then we'll put up a date for the final list.

Simpledumbpilot and Ganaffe it won't take a lot of your time :mrgreen:

The list that I last posted we'll use that as the base and add more songs to it.

Let's me know what you think.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Ridan, i hope you didnt think I meant that nobody would vote at all, I was just referring to those songs that arent on the list. I think this poll is a good idea and should spark some interesting debate, Im probably reading your post all wrong arent I :oops: I did try something similar awhile back on the polling thing here but I put in too many songs and couldnt narrow it down enough.

OK so here goes the remaining tracks missing from the list that have appeared on official releases in some form or another...

Big Theme (La Carrera Panamericana)
Carrera Slow Blues (La Carrera Panamericana)
Country Theme (La Carrera Panamericana)
Heros Return Part 2 (Not Now John single)
Mexico 78 (La Carrera Panamericana)
Pan Am Shuffle (La Carrera Panamericana)
Pompeii (Pompeii film intro piece)
Seabirds (More video)
Small Theme (La Carrera Panamericana)

Like I said, I dont think anyone would vote for these in their top 10 anyway so its your call Ridan.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Hey Ridan and SDP

I was happy with the list they way it was :D
Any addition is alright with me, I was just trying to keep the list a bit short. There is a vague boundary between what should be on it and what not. I was afraid that we, once crossing that line, would loose track of the whole thing.

SDP already did beat me on the PF-track knowledge :wink: so I think his additions will be cool. And like he said: "I dont think anyone would vote for these" so I think there's no problem.

One other thing: I really think it should be a top20 :lol:
No serious, when I make a top10 list, there's to much songs that I've to ditch that I don't want to ditch... but maybe I just have to trust that other people will vote for them.

Ridan, I don't mean to freak you out on this, it's just a suggestion. You've got a good thing going here... [-D-]
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Top 10 is way to small.
It would burst your head about what songs to leave out.
Top 30 could be just about right.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Jack Dempsey wrote:Top 10 is way to small.
I agree with you, were considering to make it bigger. Top30 would take to much time while counting the votes, I guess. Top20 seems manageable to me. We'll be back on this as soon as possible.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

ganaffe wrote:
Jack Dempsey wrote:Top 10 is way to small.
I agree with you, were considering to make it bigger. Top30 would take to much time while counting the votes, I guess. Top20 seems manageable to me. We'll be back on this as soon as possible.
The more i think about it you could be right old trapper.

Oh no my head's about to explode....
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

How about people making a list of their top 15 or 20? Some songs that might be on my list may not be on say, Ganaffe's or Syd's or SDP etc. etc. So people will make a list of their top 15 or 20 and from those lists we'll sort out the top 30...what do you say?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Sounds good Ridan, thats all the officially released songs listed now. The unreleased list may be short enough to fit on a poll on this site, I can compile that if you like?

As for voting in the big poll perhaps some kind of points system could be introduced say 15 points for first place song, 14 for second place and so on down to 1 point for 15th place. I think a 15 song list would be about right, some people say 10 songs isnt enough and 20 might make too much work. If you need any help with the counting just say the word. If you like I could set up a seperate e-mail address for votes to be sent to so we dont clog our inboxes and share the password with the people counting, what we could do is designate a day for each person counting to check the account and delete the e-mails after the tally has been made so we dont do the same ones twice. I was thinking this could run for 4 weeks, we could publish the end results each week here and then do a final overall poll for the 4 weeks. What do you think?
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

Now we're talking business Simpledumbpilot ;)

I had something similar in mind. :D

What about the unreleased songs and their polls? Do you think we should add them?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

I think the unreleased tracks would fit on a poll here and would be easier, but Im game if you are :D As to whether they should be included with the official releases Im not really sure, songs like Scream Thy Last Scream are very popular and I must admit it wouldnt be too far out of my top 15 but I think the unreleased poll could be a whole seperate bit of fun. I say we have enough on our plates with the official releases and do the unofficial stuff in a months time when these polls are finished, it could also open up a third poll then to pit the official top 10 songs against the unofficial top 10 songs, just an idea, let me know what you think and I'll get that e-mail address set up.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

That's an interesting idea, Stu. We could go ahead with this poll and then we could start one with unreleased songs poll. This will give us more time for interesting topics :D

About counting votes, Ganaffe suggested one of us should count so as not to confuse ourselves. I volunteer as I have loads of time. The e-mail address idea is a good one.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Ridan wrote:So people will make a list of their top 15 or 20 and from those lists we'll sort out the top 30...what do you say?
That seems quit good. But when there are, for example, five songs who should all be on place 15, I guess that a lot of songs will be the same in peoples top-15: Echoes, Dogs, etc.