General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Uma Guma
Axe
Axe

Plays the music of Pink Floyd

Post by Uma Guma »

Does anyone here have this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 23-9359005

I'd be well interested to know what its like....
bonzo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bonzo »

a friend of me has an earlier version of it, and i must say, it's sometimes nice to hear a orchestral version of our favourite tunes, but it doesn't have the same drive as the originals of course...
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I own a symphony rock cd that is pretty good, the only floyd on it is abitw2, but its pretty good. I cant imagine ever wanting to listen to it more than two or three times a year. I guess it depends on how much you like symphony.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Plays the music of Pink Floyd

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Uma Guma wrote:Does anyone here have this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 23-9359005

I'd be well interested to know what its like....
Its not a bad album but it does border on lift music, very little seems to have gone into the arrangements and you kind of get the impression that the conductor bought a bunch of ready made scores from the local music store and just handed them out to the orchestra. If youd like to hear some orchestral Floyd versions then the one to go for would have to be ''The London Philharmonic Orchestra Plays The Music Of Pink Floyd''. This is arranged by the mighty Jaz Coleman who has really gone to town on the arrangements and is quite a fascinating listen, its also produced by his fellow Killing Joker Youth who has captured a monumental sound!. The album even bolsters its prog-rock credentials by having Roger Dean artwork :D
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

I like SOYCD and WYWH, they have some nice arrangements, love the violin replacing the guitar on Shine on's intro, and how they used a bit of Have a Cigar in the middle of Wish; but the rest sounds a lot like MUZAK, and that obviously bothers me (specially because of the shopping mall/dentist's office feeling)
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

I have a good one, not perfect, but good... it's called "Objects of Fantasy, the music of Pink Floyd", by David Palmer and the Royal Philarmonic Orchestra... it's a live recording of a show performed by the Orchestra (directed by Palmer) and a little rock band:

Guitar: Steve hackett / Mitch Dalton
Drums: Charlie Morgan
Bass Guitar: Andy Pask
Keyboards: David Bristow / David Palmer
Soprano Sax: Stan Sultzman
Tenor Sax: Phil Todd
Vocals: Stephanie De / Skyes / Miriam Stockley / Tony Burrows / Carl Wayne / Ian Huni and Clare Torry

I think it's strange that there is Clare Torry and they don't perform Great Gig in the Sky... but anyway, it's a nice listening, good arrangements, IMHO. Some cool guitar solos.
Reakwon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Reakwon »

i got it, and i think it's one of my favs

but take a look @ here:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/for/v ... php?t=2822