POMPEII Question - BAD BAD editing

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
crunged
Embryo
Embryo

POMPEII Question - BAD BAD editing

Post by crunged »

Doesn't it annoy anyone else that on Echoes Pt1 just at the break where nick mason does his role to go into the nice Bass rolling part/change - there is the most awful cut. Obvious that these two parts have just been badly spliced together (sound wise). Really spoils that bit as you want a nice transition.

(Ive checked the original video and it does the same there too :-()

So my question is, does this happen on the bootleg audio that anyone owns.

Does anyone else hear the bad editing of am I being to picky :roll:
(Picky, a pink floyd fan :?: :!: :wink: )

Anyone else spot any other blatant cuts/probs with the film?
crunged
Embryo
Embryo

Post by crunged »

COME ON!!??

You mean to tell me no one has noticed that bad cut?? :roll:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Why did they edit it?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Because they mucked up the take and due to time/ video constraints they couldn't be bothered recording the first 7 minutes or so again
crunged
Embryo
Embryo

Post by crunged »

Arrrrrrrr!!!, thats why..

Am gutted I noticed that cos now every time I watch that part it spoils it for me. :( ho hum
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Never really noticed it myself.

It COULD be two seperate takes of the song spliced together for reasons other than "mucking up" one of them.

Pompeii, sadly, was not meant to be a representation of what a Floyd concert of the day was truly like. It was meant to be a "flawless" audio/visual experience.

Film is a medium unto itself which often requires numerous takes of an individual scene and then (in post-production) cleaning up of some of the "live" sounds which requires the actors to be brought into a recording studio to re-do some of their dialogue.

The Pompeii "Director's Cut" shows Gilmour and Wright double tracking their vocal parts to make them sound "fuller" (the typical reason for double tracking) than they did live, perhaps. Gilmour is also shown either double tracking his guitar solo (also to make it sound fuller) or is shown recording a track to replace the original sound which may have had pops and crackles in it...or a hum...or some other imperfection.

Think of it like this...the whole of Pompeii is comprised of six or seven songs. They filmed over a period of three days and were reportedly hard pressed to shoot the principle photography within that three day period.

Obviously, there was a lot more going on than just filming Pink Floyd playing their songs live.

There is footage that was shot on another soundstage at a later date (all of the footage which shows Nick as the member most to the front is from this later footage) which is spliced into the film to give variations of the visuals.

If you really want to see realistic footage of live Pink Floyd before Waters split, you have to dig up VOIO footage which varies in quality from quite poor to reasonably acceptable. I would recommend the Pink Floyd Video Anthology which pops up on ebay rather frequently as well as the Earls Court Wall performance.

Those are the best bets.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

This happens in virtually all music films, really... the KISS Symphony DVD (yes, I know. Now shut up :wink:) was supposed to be recorded at one concert. Yet, you just have to look at the film to see that isn't the case! Several of the shots come from soundchecks. Konfidential was even worse, cause there they scavenged clips from both soundchecks and different concerts. Paul Stanley changes his shirt 3 times or so in the same song. Now that's bad editing!
crunged
Embryo
Embryo

Post by crunged »

Hehehe, Im an avid zep fan, and the worst of the worst has to be from "the song remains the same", Appauling editing and terrible costumes changes half way through a song :wink: !!. Anyway they thought it was so bad a year later they went to Shepperton studios and recreated the set, wore the same costumes and played the whole set again - then re-cut that into the film.

At least Pompeii look reasonably honest to me!!! :lol:

(except for the nasty computer images which already look outdated so god knows what they will look like in years to come!!............but its the music that matters.)
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Yeah that computer stuff suck arse.
My Geforce 2 can render out graphics in real time that look a billion times less plastic that the pompeii stuff.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Metallica's cunning stunts is nasty for editing glitches at one point jason changes shirt during a song its funny.
crunged
Embryo
Embryo

Post by crunged »

Furious wrote:Yeah that computer stuff suck arse.
My Geforce 2 can render out graphics in real time that look a billion times less plastic that the pompeii stuff.
AGREED!!

Maybe we should have a "Pink Floyd- live at pompeii Directors cut (The DEFINATIVE DIRECTORS CUT" and remove all the computer graphics that look like they were made 5 years agi :wink: