How does DG do sections requiring 2 guitars simultaneously

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
IloveAHMsuite
Embryo
Embryo

How does DG do sections requiring 2 guitars simultaneously

Post by IloveAHMsuite »

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum. Am crazy about Floyd, but was wondering, in many songs, you can hear more than one guitar, e.g. one lead, one rhythm, sometimes two leads. Is it just the case that Dave over-recorded (don't know what the proper term is), like record one bit, then record the other bit, and put the two tracks together?
In which case, how did they perform live?? Floyd has such a great sound that it seems like they'd need 5 or 6 band members to make all that noise, but no, there's only 4 of them...
did they have an extra guitarist when performing live songs that have 2 guitars? If so, did they always use the same guy? Or was one guitar bit just played from a recording?
I hope you guys can enlighten me....
Dave Gilmour is the best guitarist i've ever heard....really orgasmic sounds.....
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Most bands are different live and in the studio so songs are played differently live.

Multitrack recording is where you can record one track, rewind, then record another track whilst listening to the first! Then on to track 3 etc.. Thesedays, there are digital recorders which have no limit on tracks but, at the time of recording Dark Side of the Moon, I think they were up to 16 track at that point.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

I think during the 75 tour was the last time the four Floyd were alone on stage. In 77 they had Snowy White as a second guitarist, and during the Wall shows they had a second person for every instrument. On the last tours they also had a second guitarist on stage.
IloveAHMsuite
Embryo
Embryo

Post by IloveAHMsuite »

Thanks for the info guys! It has all become clear to me now......I'll go do a search on Snowy and read more about him..........
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

In some cases, they didn't play songs that required more than one guitar; just look at the obscured by clouds album.

I think during one of the interviews on the pompeii album, dave is laying down another guitar track on Brain Damage.