band influences

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
syd67ro
Axe
Axe

band influences

Post by syd67ro »

I was wondering who influenced them most ?What other singers,or,more important ,writers.Who are their favourites writers ? Cause it is obvious that they've read some literature in their life.I thought it was funny for roger to say in an interview something like this : "Reporter: Hey, Roger, what have you read lately:philosophy or pshycology ?"Roger:"well, actually I watched TV lately " .I know he spend a lot of time on tv (he's got 13 channels of sh*t perhaps),but he/they must be influenced by some great writers.I wonder who they are.
Axl Rose
Axe
Axe

Post by Axl Rose »

syd gave them the psychedelic gift IMO then they made into something bigger better and more magical.

so is it safe to say syd was a major influence?:)
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Re: band influences

Post by JML »

syd67ro wrote:"Roger:"well, actually I watched TV lately "
Maybe he was addicted to Peyton Place.
I don't believe that AHM-> Pink Floyd were influenced by anything. It was so unique, not a hint of Beatles or any else band of that era.
Uma Guma
Axe
Axe

Post by Uma Guma »

There's some noticeable Beatles influences on some of Syds floyd era.

Point me at the sky sounds very Sergeant Peppers
and Crumbling Land sounds very much like Love & Arthur Lee's pyschadelic masterpeice 'Forever Changes'

They are just my opinions.

Uma
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I don't know about Roger, but some of David's influences were Bob Dylan, Leadbelly, and Pete Seeger. When he was 13 or 14, he learned to play guitar with the help of a Pete Seeger instructional record. He also saw Bob Dylan's first ever show in England, when he was 15.
Sampdoriano_Canary
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sampdoriano_Canary »

Cmon Folks, Floyd or Waters were specifically influenced by the George Orwells'Classic - Animal Farm for the '75 classic "?nimals".... :wink:

Birdman
Avani
Knife
Knife

Post by Avani »

Wasn't Lennon a great influence for Barrett? :)
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Sampdoriano_Canary wrote:Cmon Folks, Floyd or Waters were specifically influenced by the George Orwells'Classic - Animal Farm for the '75 classic "?nimals".... :wink:

Birdman
Not according to Roger. According to him, although they liked Orwell, The two have no association beyond pure coincidence.
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

I read that Dave and Syd would spend lunch breaks during college trying to master Keith Richard's licks...SO, there is some Stones influence...Also, the Abdabs were playing blues and thier blues tunes ended up being 30 minutes long...There was lots of blues influence.
Roger also says his heros are Lennon and Dylan...
So, there is quite a bit of influence!
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

hmm

Post by BobFloyd »

they must've had some kiind of psychedelic influence.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Re: hmm

Post by Diin Jaffa »

BobFloyd wrote:they must've had some kiind of psychedelic influence.
drugs? :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Blues, jazz and R'n'R were the influences of everybody growing up in that era...then there were the symphonies one would hear - AHM is like a symphony. Speaking of AHM, Ron Geesin was an avant gaurde artist who seems to have had some influence...interestingly, there are a lot of avant gaurde artists from the 50's and 60's who experimented with sound textures...

By the way, did you know Frank Sinatra actually recorded the first Concept album?

Amused to Death gets its title from a Neil Postman book - roger watched a lot of tele to make this album (read the book!).

I actually think David Bowie could be an influence...in the early seventies he commented that watching Woodstock was like watching the Nurenburg rallies...then there is Ziggy, a pink kinda character...
RegV8
Blade
Blade

Post by RegV8 »

One of Rick's great influences are jazz stuff, notabily Miles Davis, even he's being a trumpet player... In the Dark Side documentary DVD you can hear Rick talking about the chosen of the chords in Breathe based on Davis' Kind Of Blue Album.
NotNowJohn
Embryo
Embryo

Post by NotNowJohn »

Let's not forget Sun Ra's influence on the band.
frozen dream
Embryo
Embryo

Re: hmm

Post by frozen dream »

BobFloyd wrote:they must've had some kiind of psychedelic influence.
they have almost invented the psychiedelic music
they invented the light show
the only influences they had werethe Rolling Stones, a bit of the Beatlesand many of blues... (Pink Anderson and Floyd council were bluesman, didn't they?)
until 1966 they only played stone and blues, then they started playin syd's stuff. they recorded their first song, wich hadn't ever been released, in 1966. Then they flown by their own. And more: they became the "stage designers" of the beatles!