The Division Bell

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Do you think that The Division Bell sound Floydian?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:31 pm

Yes, I consider it one of my Favorites.
32%
Yes, I consider it Floyd.
45%
No, but I don't dislike the album, I just don't consider it Floyd.
19%
No, and I don't like the album either.
3%

Total votes: 31

seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

The Division Bell

Post by seamusz »

Im just curious what the consensus is on the question, "does The Division Bell feel like Pink Floyd?"

Try to put out of your mind the Rogerless Floyd preconseption, and rate the album on its own merits.

The poll will be open for two weeks.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

I definitely consider TDB a floyd album. Leaving my Rogerless Floyd Preconception behind :wink: , I don't see why I should consider it otherwise... As far as bandmembers go: there are 3 of them, which is 75% of the original band, or 60% if you consider Syd to be part of the same Floyd (which I do not, I consider him to be part of a band called "The Pink Floyd Sound" which is a different band.... oohooohhoooh there will be a debate again :roll: )

As far as the music goes, there is unmistakingly something Floydian about it... it's dynamic, and elaborated, it consists of mellow soundcapes, slow grooves, guitarparts with distinctive Gilmourian delay, guitarsolos with distinctive Gilmourian tone and construction...
Lyrically it's about things that are bigger than "I love you so" or "I've got a kickass car". It's about absence and human (mis)communication, and feedback being the number one source for life and creative development etc., things you can relate to as an individual without things being to obvious.
All of the above are characteristics of Floydian music, imo (it would be nice if everybody could contribute to this list of Floyd characteristics. What else should be on a list like that? What should be taken off? I'll make a new topic for it, I guess)

But I don't consider it one of my favorites because there are songs on it which I don't like... which is uncommon for a floyd record. Take It Back is too flat and monotonous for me, and I think the beat is very uncreative (possible meant to appeal to the 'dance-generation'). Poles Apart and Coming Back To Life (except for the marvellous guitarpart in the beginning) also don't really appeal to me, mainly because the rhythm is, I don't know, too "country like" or something...

But besides that I like the album very much.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

The Division Bell - my opinion:
The album just plods and plods and plods and has such a thick heavy suffocating sound. Every song has the same tempo and pointless bluesy riffing and the words are mostly meaningless to me. I'm all for albums having a consistent feel throughout - I'm a fan of concept albums but not when the concept is blandness and middle age.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Didn't we just have this poll?
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

yes, i think it?s floydian, though, like i said once before, to me it sounds like a distant and vanished pink floyd.....where are they??? play again!!!!!!

Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

It's P_F but what I want to know is in {Lost For Word} where Dave says {So I open my door to my enemies and ask could we please wipe the slate clean but they tell me to go f**k myself,You knowyou just can't win} just who is he talking about?
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I have a feeling its Roger, or atleast thats the impression that I got. Oh and I consider it PF, but not one of my favs...
Uma Guma
Axe
Axe

Post by Uma Guma »

I had heard somewhere that yes that song is definetly about Roger but suspect Dave has denied it. I reckon it is... i mean it all makes sense when you listen to it.

TDB is a great album and is worthy of the floyd tag. Its a shame my fave track 'High Hopes' is co-written by Daves missus but hey ho.

U.G
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Uma Guma wrote:Its a shame my fave track 'High Hopes' is co-written by Daves missus but hey ho.
Can anybody explain to me why that would be a shame? If it's your favorite track maybe her contribution was a good one... What's wrong with someones beloved one contributing to the music and/or lyrics?
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I think it's a great album, but it isn't very Floydian to me. The lyrics are not so good, musically it is OK, but a good Pink Floyd album has both.
Ganaffe wrote:Can anybody explain to me why that would be a shame? If it's your favorite track maybe her contribution was a good one... What's wrong with someones beloved one contributing to the music and/or lyrics?
I don't consider it to be a shame, but when you are a band as great as Pink Floyd, who wrote big selling and populair albums, you can consider it as a shame when you can't write these great songs any more when just one member is gone. But again: I don't see it that way
Last edited by Powderfinger on Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

ganaffe wrote:
Uma Guma wrote:Its a shame my fave track 'High Hopes' is co-written by Daves missus but hey ho.
Can anybody explain to me why that would be a shame? If it's your favorite track maybe her contribution was a good one... What's wrong with someones beloved one contributing to the music and/or lyrics?
It's supposed to be a Pink Floyd album. It's bad enough that there are so many other songwriters from outside the band, Gilmour's wife writing the lyrics is pure spinal tap
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I prefer the albums with Roger waters
Uma Guma
Axe
Axe

Post by Uma Guma »

There was just something about reading the writers on a track

Waters,Gilmour or Waters,Gilmour,Wright,Mason

then reading on TDB sleeve

Gilmour, Samson

The first time I read them I wasn't aware that it DG's missus.. i was
a little perplexed :(

Not quite the same is it. But I stand by the fact High Hopes is a superb tune. I particulary like the version on the David Gilmour live DVD.

UG
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I consider it a Floyd album, three of them are present and the overall sound is Floydish, though they couldn't find any good replacement for Roger's lyrics.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

the gravy is there. But not the meat