What Is Floydian Music About???

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

What Is Floydian Music About???

Post by ganaffe »

I was just writing down my opinion about TDB in seamusz his thread. In doing that I compared the album to some characteristics of the music of Pink Floyd... kinda hard to really do that in a clear way, so I was just wondering what you all would see as "defining characteristics" of their music.

When you had to explain to someone what the music of Pink Floyd is all about, what would you say to him/her? How would you describe their music in such a way that the description doesn't apply to any other group, but only to Pink Floyd?
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

life, death, madness
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

human feelings, sensations, moods...it?s about the human condition itself (IMO)

Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

It is like a rainbow without all the colours getting in the way....or being in the desert next to a windmill....or soaring through space but not moving (at least not 3 dimensionally).....or like punching someone in the face that you hate as many times as you want with breaks in between to have sex with a supermodel....or being a kid and being allowed to catch the curtains on fire.....or quite simply...musical gluttony, minus the calories

"are you outta yo' damn mind?" says Tom
"gotta be crazy" replies Pink

......and all was well with the land.

THE END
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

:lol:

Some nice answers, but not exactly what I meant with the question. I'm looking for a somewhat "less emotional" definition of their music, in terms of: slow grooves / mellow soundscapes / or more tiny details like gilmours distinctive use of delay on his guitar etc.... what makes pink floyd music, well... pink floyd music...?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

it has a laid back jazzy feel (11/12 timing or something like that), which is a slow PULSing rhythm, over which soundscapes are laid. It is like a soundtrack to the perceptual field...

Geez, help, how to describe this?
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Exploring inner space.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Communications between people, value those around you (friends, lovers or family) 'cause in the end they're always going to be there for you and help you over come the obstacles of life in whatever form they come

(this applies purely to the albums from DSOTM to TFC, maybe TDB to actually)