THE COLOUR THEORY

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

THE COLOUR THEORY

Post by Sir. Psychedelic Soul »

...i made up this theory in high school, like almost 4 years ago....

the colour theory
it categorizes music into colours. for example i hate bands like creed, nickelback, pearl jam....and to me all those bands have a very similar sound and they remind me of the colour brown....
a band like radiohead/sigur ros reminds me of white. zeppelin reminds me of black. bands like the verve and oasis remind me of blue....

pink floyd however has a very complex colour theory....a tune can be several colours....thier songs have so many different sounds and emotions that several colours can come from one song....

although wish you where here (the whole album) reminds me of yellow mixed with white feeling...

dark side of the moon has a deep blue colour to it....

etc....

so basically when i hear a band that sounds "brown" i dont even have to know what band it is i just know it's awful music cos it sounds brown....

all my friends agree with my theory and since i'm the one who thought of it the colours are right if i say they are! :D

but since you people don't know me...ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE!
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

I have similar experiences, but mine are more in tune when I am playing music myself. When I was in my first band I came into a problem one day. We were working out a song and I told the other guitarist to play something with more of a red color to it and he just looked at me kinda funny (we were not on drugs by the way). Anyhoo, it had not occured to me that others could not see musical colors like I could. I had to explain what I meant and it was all good.

The condition, I later learned when senses kind of combine in a weird way is called Synesthesia. It is believed that Hendrix had this as well (look at all the references to colors in his music, which may or may not have been because of LSD).

PS: Floyd's music is generally green to me.
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

so i have Synesthesia??????? mega.....i guess that's a good thing if yer musical like me....

i've always envisioned sounds as colours for many years and sometimes i see them as shapes as well....i always just thought it was creativity that sparked that but maybe you shed some light on why i actually think that way about colours and sound......

ill look into this Synesthesia condition...

cheers
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

It's not an illness, it's a term used in the theory of art. Became very popular at the turn of the 19th and 20th century, when artists tried to create music that had colours and smells, write "colourful" poems (compare Rimbaud's poem, where each letter has a colour), paint pictures that has a musical structure and so on. Philosophers and artists believed then, that there are special connections between every kind of art, and between senses, so you can "translate" one sensation into another, colour into sound, sound into words...
Avani
Knife
Knife

Post by Avani »

Floyd are definitely blue. :P
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Meddle is red and Atom heart mother is green, then.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I disagree with your theory, to simplistic.

There should be a law against putting Creed and Pearl Jam in the same category.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

seamusz wrote: There should be a law against putting Creed and Pearl Jam in the same category.
Of course! You can dislike both, but you have to distinguish the original one and one of the numerous cheap copies :evil:
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

Anna-Roza wrote:
seamusz wrote: There should be a law against putting Creed and Pearl Jam in the same category.
Of course! You can dislike both, but you have to distinguish the original one and one of the numerous cheap copies :evil:
oh c'mon pearl jam has always tried to be like led zeppelin.....so they're not all entirely original....and nickelback and creed are just copying pearl jam....all in all its the same sound b/w pearl jam and those other money grubbing bands like creed.
rockinroll_mister
Axe
Axe

Post by rockinroll_mister »

if you want proof about how pearl jam coppies zeppelin then DL:

pj - even flow (one of their biggest songs i think)
L.Z. - Nobody's Fault But Mine
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

So why don't you attack Oasis for copying the Beatles? Or Sigur Ros for their prog-rock insprations? Is it something different?
Time.Traveller
Axe
Axe

Post by Time.Traveller »

Who exactly are these bands? Pearl Jam, Sigur Ros, Creed?

May I ask for more information about them. Do they have any significance with The Pink Floyd?

<Thank You>
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Time.Traveller wrote:Who exactly are these bands? Pearl Jam, Sigur Ros, Creed?

May I ask for more information about them. Do they have any significance with The Pink Floyd?

<Thank You>
Pearl Jam - co-founders of the Seattle "grunge" rock movement. They and Nirvana cut the path for the catagory of rock called grunge-rock. Characterized by heavy guitar, dark lyrical styling, and a less than flashy fashion sense in apparel. Not related to PF in very many ways.

Sigur Ros - Very ambiant music. Lyrics which do not actually exist, but are rather made up as an additional instrument. Voice sounds are used similar to singing words, but no actual words are used. I wouldn't say it is very closely related to Floyd either, but more close since it is ambiant sounding.

Creed - I can't comment much on this, since I don't know it well. I'd say pop-rock, and not related.

Hope that helps.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

<Thank You>
You need to get out more.
Time.Traveller
Axe
Axe

Post by Time.Traveller »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:

<Thank You>
Pearl Jam - co-founders of the Seattle "grunge" rock movement. They and Nirvana cut the path for the catagory of rock called grunge-rock. Characterized by heavy guitar, dark lyrical styling, and a less than flashy fashion sense in apparel. Not related to PF in very many ways.

Sigur Ros - Very ambiant music. Lyrics which do not actually exist, but are rather made up as an additional instrument. Voice sounds are used similar to singing words, but no actual words are used. I wouldn't say it is very closely related to Floyd either, but more close since it is ambiant sounding.

Creed - I can't comment much on this, since I don't know it well. I'd say pop-rock, and not related.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for trying to help me understand. Although I cannot fully understand what you mean until I hear this music.
Let me tell you about a group that I absolutely love. They are called Cubick's Rube. Two of the members are from Cardiff, Wales and the other 2 are from Chicago. They released their debut digital data card in 2027(this is a format which came into existance in 2021). The album was entitled Boat in the Clouds and they went on to release 3 more amazing works of music. They have changed the face of music and given future artists to work with a whole new structure of sound.
Last edited by Time.Traveller on Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.