A question about Dark Side album sales

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
dc_disciple
Blade
Blade

A question about Dark Side album sales

Post by dc_disciple »

Does anyone know aproximately how many copies of Dark Side of the Moon have been sold? The only figures I have are from the mid 90's, and Im sure its higher now, especially with the new SACD having been released. If anyone could tell me how many, and if possible provide a link that would take me to any sort of "official" record sales numbers, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Dan
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

On EMIs official Pink Floyd site - http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk it says that there have been in excess of 35 million copies of Dark Side sold worldwide
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I have absolutely no imput on the subject, but I was curoius what your avatar was dc_disciple. The reason I ask is it reminds me of a book that I read a long time ago and I can't remember the name.

Thanks
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

I heard there's an average of 1 million sold a year in the latter years; statistically, you could say there's a copy of DSOTM being played somewhere in the world, right now...
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

it sure is playing in my house.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Dark side and the Wall still sell by the bucketload where as AMLOR and TDB sell comparatively nothing. Weird that.
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Um...yeah; weird......
Goes to prove that in the end, quality always prevails.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

decampos wrote:Dark side and the Wall still sell by the bucketload where as AMLOR and TDB sell comparatively nothing. Weird that.
As do Piper, Final Cut, More, Ummagumma, etc. Wierd that, too. Well, not really.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Richter_M. wrote:
decampos wrote:Dark side and the Wall still sell by the bucketload where as AMLOR and TDB sell comparatively nothing. Weird that.
As do Piper, Final Cut, More, Ummagumma, etc. Wierd that, too. Well, not really.
Heh, beat me to it.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I wasn't aware that sales depicted quality. :?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Dark side and the Wall still sell by the bucketload where as AMLOR and TDB sell comparatively nothing. Weird that.

Yes and who gets the CBE - there is no justice
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

drafsack wrote:

Yes and who gets the CBE - there is no justice
He got that CBE because he very publicly donated money to charity. I don't reckon music had anything to do with it.
dc_disciple
Blade
Blade

Post by dc_disciple »

seamusz wrote:I have absolutely no imput on the subject, but I was curoius what your avatar was dc_disciple. The reason I ask is it reminds me of a book that I read a long time ago and I can't remember the name.

Thanks
I dont know what it is from, its just a cool pic I found. It seems to be Floydian, the spinning plates, you know, just going around and around, only to eventually fall off and break. Or maybe I just think too much.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

He got that CBE because he very publicly donated money to charity. I don't reckon music had anything to do with it.

The press reports did say it was his contribution towards music, but they will say anything if you give 4.5 million to charity
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

drafsack wrote:

The press reports did say it was his contribution towards music, but they will say anything if you give 4.5 million to charity
Yes, he 'bought' that CBE.