30%
George Roger Waters
70%

Total votes: 30

Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Roger didnt push Syd. :shock: they were best friends and there were many attemps to get some help for Syd. (and they met in same art class ;) so I think Waters is little more than Rock&roll star )
Syd.LSD
Blade
Blade

Post by Syd.LSD »

he did push. why do u say he didnt?
"And then I understood that the only way to record Syd was to record him as he wanted him to be recorded" One of Syd's managers.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Syd.LSD wrote:I respect him very much but he IS NOT an artist. He is just a musician
:lol: You have to be joking. Roger is not much of a musician, but definately an artist in the truest sense of the word. Syd screwed himself up, you cant blame anyone else for his collapse. Obviously, by the results of the poll, you stand in the minority in thinking that Syd was a better lyrisist. All of Rogers lyrics weren't about war, DSOTM being a wonderful example.
Syd.LSD
Blade
Blade

Post by Syd.LSD »

Majority is always wrong :)

And dont forget the words of Oscar Wilde "all art is quite useless" i cant apply this definition to anything more than to Barrett's tunes and lyrics. Can u ? :) Can u help doing that? :)

BTW, watching now Waters's performance of Shine On You Syd Barrett (lol) In the flesh. (2000). So romantic they are doing it... Really thats a nice one. Though i think the majority(arghh) of the songs on "In the flesh" are much worse than original ones... U know what i mean....
So.. he does...
---------------0----
------6-------------
----------0---(0)---
---8----------(8)---
--------------------
--------------------

oh...
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Syd's lyrics are great, but there are so many transcriptions of it. Nobody can say he's sure what he sings here and there. That annoys me. I'm trying to decide them all for myself.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Syd.LSD wrote:thanks for poll, David. :)
Thank you, thought it added that extra little bit to this thread if people felt like voting Syd but didn't want to admit to it

Sir Psychedelic Soul (nice name by the way) I think it's a bit pointless to bring it down to Syd only doing 1 Floyd album, lets not forget Hendirx is one of the finest song writers in the history of rock'n'roll and he only did 3 studio albums, same amount as Syd unless you want to correct me, but i'd say he's stronger than mic and keef who have done like 30 studio albums

I'm more of a Roger fan but i could recognise Sys as being superb and that even if he didn't write many songs the one's he did write were often fantastic
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Jimi was unique. Even his outtakes are classic. There are two 80-minute CDs of Jimi's outtakes and material intended for the unfinished album. They are called "The First Rays Of The New Rising Sun" and "South Saturn Delta". Both great. I love the song "Look Over Yonder".
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I actually got those, wasn't counting them though because that would mean counting Opel

Love South Sothern Delta, Jimi playing his finest bit of blues on that set of songs, not so sure about First Rays... though
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

The second half sounds a bit the same, but songs like Freedom, Drifting, Nightbird Flying, Angel, Out From The Storm and Beginnings are in my view as good as the best stuff on his previous albums.
Syd.LSD
Blade
Blade

Post by Syd.LSD »

Btw, about Jimmies..
Morrisson was great in lyrics.
ah... why was?

JIM IS ALIVE!!!
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

For Hendrix i'm firmly n the camp that thinks his best albums Electric Lady Land, what about you?

Band Of Gypsies had some lovely bits to, specifically the playing on Machine Gun

Hmm, and yeah, as i was saying it's quality over quantity IMO
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Electric Ladyland is great. I love it. Besides the songs that get included in all those compilations, the 1983 is wonderful, so is Little Miss Strange (Jimi plays fantastic solos in both Noel's songs, don't you think?) and Long Hot Summer Night - fantastic.

Band Of Gypsies is a good record. Buddy Miles is a top drummer. I like all the songs on it maybe except the last one. Listening to the Jimi Live At Fillmore album (interetsing BTW), you realise that it was just a jam cut down.

Morrison - great.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Hey hey, watch out for my new Jimi Hendrix avatar. 8) (I might get back to Donatella Horovitz or the lion someday...)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Still not got Filmore, going to have to buy it soon

1983 is my favourite Hendrix song, the detail in it's immense with all sorts of guitar parts just being put away in to the distant soundscape, it's got that dream like quality of Strawberry Fields by The Beatles

I think Jimi plays brilliantly on every song on the album, in particular the blues jam voodoo chile's brilliant

Morrison- Good but overated IMO

Jimi Hendrix is good but he's no Jimmy Ray :lol:

And yes that was sarcassim of the extreme variety
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

David Smith wrote:1983 is my favourite Hendrix song, the detail in it's immense with all sorts of guitar parts just being put away in to the distant soundscape, it's got that dream like quality of Strawberry Fields by The Beatles
Exactly.