R.E.M. Thread

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

R.E.M. Thread

Post by Diin Jaffa »

yes.

So who is into this band and what are your favorite albums?

Mine are pre-warner stuff. :)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I don't have a favourite era of REM, like a bit of everything, murmur, up, document, new adventures..., Fables of the... and of course Automatic for the people

What's good about REM is they manage to do laid back rock without verging in to pop and being able to write about dark subject matter in some songs, and stipe's voice on songs like The Great Beyond and Country Feedback is breathtaking, the amount of different emotions he can capture's a vocal acheivment for anyone

All just my opinions of course
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Well, you know what I think about REM :D
My favourite albums are "Murmur", "Fables...", "Document" and... "New Adventures in Hi-Fi", very dark and powerful album (and that duet with Patti Smith... wow!), they proved they don't care about show-business there...
But writing about my favourite songs would take me hours.
Also great when recording covers... Gabriel's "Red Rain", Barrett's "Dark Globe", and that amazing "Crazy".
Michael Stipe's voice is so strange, and so beautiful, uncomparable to anybody else, but I also like when he is backed by funny nasal Mike Mills' voice, they can create amazing vocal harmonies together.
Peter Buck - great, innovative, very intelligent guitar player, I also love it when he plays mandolin. Pity Bill Berry is not there anymore, :(
I don't know why I didn't list their videos in my top 10. They're also impressive. All these strange releases like "Succumbs". And "Tourfilm" is without a doubt one of the greatest concert videos ever made, love that atmosphere, something incredible... I can still remember the very first time I watched it, not a long time after it was released, very late at night... I wished one they I could see them live, and, of course, dream came true this year... With Stipe even more wild than before :shock:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I saw REM this year to :D

Gotta say i really didn't rate Reveal though, and although it's not going to be from the next album i think Bad Day was a truely refreshing single, REM going political again. Not to keen on Animal though...
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Yes, "Bad Day" is very good... But there was a huge scandal connected with that video - it was proved, that the song was ripped off from the video by the Polish band Pudelsi (very famous here), that was supporting REM... That video, to the song "Wolnosc slowa" (Freedom of speech) is very well known here, and the song is very politically engeged, too.
Menagement of REM just got promo tapes and last album by Pudelsi, that also is an enhanced CD, with a video track with that song... It's very, very similar; not only the whole idea of TVnews, but certain screens, montage... Of course, REM are innocent, but their management :?
Anyway, both bands are connected with Warner, so they made a kind of agreement.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

I like REM a lot, the only records that I have (and the only ones I?ve really listened) are Automatic for the people and Monster. I think Monster is a hell of an album, it?s so strong, with a lot of energy.... :twisted:

Embryo

Post by The Wright One »

Love that band! I suppose my favourite albums would have to be Document and Out Of Time but they are all great. They have the great ability to work with arrangements, sadly lost by many contemporary bands. Success of a song comes just as much from the arrangement as the actual writing.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Hey, bad news davidge. Bad Day is old tune from 80s that later developed Its the end of the worlds as we know it. :wink: I dont think they will be returning to their guitar rock days. :( and Animal is from the new record! :lol: :lol: :lol:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I knew bad day was an old song, my theory is it was a demo for It's The End Of The World As We Know It (and i feel fine) because it sounds just like it... I reckon they just dug it out the hat so people may think they're returning to their old school routes

Animal's going to be the first single of their next album? Ok, i was hoping after the travesty that was Reveal they could get it right again but seemingly not :cry:
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Bill Berry is probably the most underrated drummer in world. His drumming in early records was amazing. I think their new bill (yes, this guy is called bill too.) who has been working with MINISTRY and ROBERT FRIPP will surely give REMs new record a good kick. Bill Rieflin is his name if I remember correctly. I wont judge until I see. REM has made so many great records and that history cant be erased. :D
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I gotta admit i'd like to see REM try an almost dance style album, maybe some chill out on it like sections of Up had (ie Airport man) rather than another boring contemporary pop rock album and i think Animal kind of has that acceptible dance sound

I gotta say i'm surprised it took them so long to get big. You ever seen them live Diin?

When i saw them few things could compare to them first coming on to stage and the silence turning in to Finest Work Song... What a moment that was, makes an audience jump, sing along and feel rocked up within a drum roll :D
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

David Smith wrote:You ever seen them live Diin?
R.E.M. Has visited in finland only once in 1989. :(
They do go in sweden and norway all the time. :evil:

I think I dont want REM to try to be cool anymore. :roll: Shiny happy people and half of green were little too much. :lol:

They make what they make. Im not big fan of drum machines and synths unfortunately. :x
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

REMHQ is happy to post the video for Animal. This video was produced by Motion Theory, and is the second single from R.E.M.'s "best of" record, In Time. The Animal video, along with a few other surprises, will be added to HQTV very soon, so stay tuned!"

Mirrored from REMHQ

To watch the video, go to http://www.remhq.com/flash/news/news.html?news_id=599 and pick the file or connection speed you want (Quicktime or Windows Media at 56, 100, 300 or 450 kb speed)!
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Diin Jaffa wrote:R.E.M. Has visited in finland only once in 1989. :(
They do go in sweden and norway all the time. :evil:
And do you know why? Because Sweden and Norway are better places! :twisted:
But Yes starts it's 35th anniversary -tour from FINLAND!
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!