Cry

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Cry

Post by seamusz »

So I was just reading on another post about someone crying when they first listened to a song (Jugband Blues), and Ive heard a bunch of people say that this or that song made them cry. Now, Id like to consider myself a guy thats in touch with his feelings, but I dont think that Ive ever even got "misty" while listening to PF or any other artist's song.

I was just wondering who here ever gets emotional while listening to music. And if you don't mind, mention if you are male or female too.

(Im male btw :wink: )
Devil man 665
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Devil man 665 »

i got pretty emotional when i first heard outside the wall in succession to the whole album.

it was the shrill singing in the background that did it i felt sad but i didnt cry! btw I'm male 2
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

well, I dont cry but I get emotional and im like...um....it can be breathtaking. music gives me lot of feelings but I really dont actually cry. I might get little teary but I dont start to cry.

(Male)
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Funnily enough, I put up this question a few days ago on another forum. So, believe it or not, these songs made me nearly cry (I don't think I ever cried while listening to music):

The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard for the first time. That Alf Razzel told story.

Song Of The Wind from Santana's Caravanserai. It comes after some 15-minutes of rather wild Latin-jazz-rock session (IMO some of the best music ever recorded) and it's really a sad and soft instrumental. Funnily enough, the last song on the album, Every Step Of The Way, moved me even more. It starts like drifting on a jungle river and breaks to a powerful piece with brass orchestra. You have to hear it to understand me. I still remember when I first heard this one. It's like a universal instrumental story for me.

Another song(s), in fact the whole last side of The Swing Of Delight, a double album - collaboration between Carlos Santana and Miles Davis' band featuring Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. The last songs are very emotional and each instrument is played like it was a call of the musician's soul. The songs' names are "Gardenia", "Golden Hours" and "Shere Khan, The Tiger" if anyone's interested.

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun. So powerful.

SOYCD parts 6-9 live in 1977. First heard the New York show. This is so wonderful. A strong candidate on my favourite live Floyd performance.

Erik Truffaz - Turiddu. Melancholic music.

BTW I'm a male or something like that.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Can't say i've ever cried during a song, though i've come closest with Perfect Day by Lou Reed, Like A Hurricane by Neil Young and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

and i'm male if you hadn't guessed
atomaxe
Axe
Axe

Post by atomaxe »

i almost cried with pride earlier this week, we were out driving when 'wish you were here' came on the car radio, my wife said 'oh good i love the eagles' and then my six year old daughter corrected her from the back seat with ' don't be stupid mum ,it's pink floyd isn't it daddy. my kid's musical ear is obviously better than her mum's. :D
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Well, I never cried because of music itself (and I'm female), only a few times because I've heard a song that reminded me of something very sad, like favourite songs of someone who was very closed to me and had died recently... It's quite the same feeling when listening to music by people who were so unhappy like Syd Barrett, or Ian Curtis - but again, it's more because I know the story of the person, and canm't listen to pure music.

Often I am very deeply touched, but it's more a kind of extatic state, like the ones we mentioned at the "Eargasms" thread. There are just a few bands or artists, that make me really sad - maybe the voice of Mark Hollis is most probable to make me cry, but never did.
Also certain instruments, like violins in The Waterboys and Dirty Three music, or cello in Nirvana's songs...

It's something different during the concet: when I am standing in the crowd in front of the stage, looking at the band playing, singing with all the people... I nearly cried when Tool played "Sober", R.E.M. "Drive" or King Crimson "Red"... It's a question of perceiving music in a huge group of people - like in theatre, you start to share common feelings.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

I got pretty emotional when I first listened Dark Side Of The Moon, I was in a very bad period of my life...and the lyrics shocked me because some of them described quite well how I was feeling at that time...specially Time.....
Besides, I think, and I feel that the main reason I like Pink Floyd music is because it gets to me in a very emotional way, beyond music....it helps me to give things a second thought....and it helped me a lot at that time..

Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Wish You Were Here, live, from A Delicate Sound of Thunder is emotional for me, as it brings back wonderful memories from tough times in my life; I saw the Momentary Lapse of Reason show a couple of times, live, (from which TDSoT was created;) and WYWH is my favourite song, as my brother and I were 1500 miles apart during those tough times.( for both of us.) One of the shows I caught was with him, at the Kingdome in Seattle, and it was phenomenal.
Also, Say Hello to Heaven, by Temple of the Dog, as I heard it right after my grandma died (after not having heard it for many years;) It was like a sign...

Oh yeah- I'm female.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

I NEARLY cried about 6 months ago, when I saw Kate Bush's Cloudbusting video, since the last time I saw/heard it I was about 11 years old or something...

Some of the stuff by Joy Division, The Triffids and Elliott Smith can almost make me cry too, dunno if it's the fact the main men in those bands are all dead now... :smt022
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I haven't cried for two years now, never because of music.
Male 8)
RKBfan
Axe
Axe

Post by RKBfan »

I recall ones crying because of music.
My next door neigbor was a pathetic drunk who just had the most horrible music taste ever. It was this night when i was about 11 or 12 years old and my neighbor haf be keeping me awake for many hours by playing suicide music with an real depressing Icelandic men choir. This would go on and all of a sudden he played all for love with Brian Addams that tottaly filled the meter and broke me down and i started to cry.
This is one of my worzt child hood memories.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I am close to crying when listening to KISS' "Forever". It somehow reminds me of their late drummer Eric Carr. Yes, I know it's a love song. It's the music that makes me cry.

(Male)
dorothy
Knife
Knife

Post by dorothy »

atomaxe wrote:i almost cried with pride earlier this week, we were out driving when 'wish you were here' came on the car radio, my wife said 'oh good i love the eagles' and then my six year old daughter corrected her from the back seat with ' don't be stupid mum ,it's pink floyd isn't it daddy. my kid's musical ear is obviously better than her mum's. :D
This is so sweet Atomaxe, your kids must be great.

As for the topic... I am very emotional about music or should I say, sensitive... but I don't remember myself crying while listening to something... Oh, I may cry during some song if it reminds me of something I can cry over. That's all.

(Female)
dorothy
Knife
Knife

Post by dorothy »

I remember now!!! I did cry because of a song once.
It was some time ago, when I first heard Helloween playing / singing David Bowie?s ?Space Oddity?. I just couldn?t help crying.
Why not Bowie-version, you may ask (?).. Because I only heard this song performed by Helloween.