Dive Gilmours Next Album = Pink Floyd ?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

Dive Gilmours Next Album = Pink Floyd ?

Post by Sir. Psychedelic Soul »

i think it will be wrong if DAVE GILMOUR releases his next album under the name PINK FLOYD!

Topics talked about in my post:
Dave Gilmour/PINK FLOYD
Noel Gallagher/OASIS
Richard Ashcroft/THE VERVE
Short mention on ROLLING STONES

in 2004 pink floyd could very well be the oldest working band in music history (besides the stones). they released thier debut album in 1967 and the next pink floyd album is planned to be out in the first quarter of 2004.... what other bands from the 60's are still making records today!??? rolling stones are touring and releasing greatest hits cd's and live dvd's but it's not new material, it's just their old stuff being re-packaged and re-sold in new generation formats...
dave gilmour has written a new album and it's being mastered and the final decision is wether he should release it as a solo album or as a PINK FLOYD album.....nick mason and richard wright played drums and keys on the record but did not actually write any tunes....very much like noel did with oasis from DM - SOTSOG...wrote the music and the other members just played his songs...

now here's where my problem begins........i was always used to noel writing the tunes for oasis and releasing his songs under the band name OASIS when he had other people just play the different instruments for the songs he wrote..his music....so in truth OASIS from DM to SOTSOG was noels solo records......

i have a big fuckin' problem with dave gilmour releasing his next album under the name PINK FLOYD (if he does do it)...cos he wrote it and its his music only...a david gilmour album, not a pink floyd record...it would be an illusion of the pink floyd signature sound, just like division bell.

pink floyd was always a band where every member contributed something, just like the beatles and led zeppelin....after roger waters left it wasnt pink floyd...it was a different band, it was gilmours band....only gilmour wrote the tunes...no one else contributed....so i believe gilmour should release his next disc as a solo record and not give PINK FLOYD the fake status as the oldest working band in history (debut in 1967 and latest album in 2004) to be releasing records and touring still cos it's really not pink floyd without roger waters. if he releases it as a PF record then they will be expected to tour the album and i dont think gilmour wants to do that...thats one of the reasons why he is having a difficult time deciding if he should rekease it as a floyd recod or not....basically he'd make way more money if he used the pink floyd name...

richard ashcroft's solo records are a perfect example of what im getting at!!! he wrote the tunes. the drummer and bassist from the verve played on them. that's that. its not a verve record cos the guitarist didnt play on it and contribute to the verve sound.... when it was the verve the guitarist contributed a lot of the guitar parts and a lot of great riffs.........so should have ashcroft released his last 2 solo records under the name VERVE cos the bassist and drumer played on the record even though richard was the one who wrote all the tunes and the guitarist left the band just like waters left floyd?????
i think what he did was the right thing to do....so if what ashcroft did for the last 2 albums he released was the right thing to do, then gilmour should do the same and not release the next album using the name pink floyd just so he can increase the record sales and make more $$$....AND thats what noel should have done from Def Maybe to SOTSOG. it should just have been NOEL GALLAGHER & THE RAIN/Oasis (liam, guigs, bonehead, tony mac) or THE NOEL GALAGHER BAND just like Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band or Dave Matthews Band cos the rest of noels band did not write any music.

opinions?/views?/feedback?/insults?
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I don't think he'd call it Pink Floyd. In that case he'd have to tour. And we all know how lazy about touring is he. But I'll be glad if Rick appeared on some tracks.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote:
i think it will be wrong if DAVE GILMOUR releases his next album under the name PINK FLOYD
Well it wouldn't be the first time!
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Dive Gilmours Next Album = Pink Floyd ?

Post by Charade I am »

Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote:
i have a big ****' problem with dave gilmour releasing his next album under the name PINK FLOYD (if he does do it)...cos he wrote it and its his music only...a david gilmour album, not a pink floyd record...it would be an illusion of the pink floyd signature sound, just like division bell.
In the division bell two members of Pink Floyd colaborated with the album: Dave and Rick, the same happened with Animals, and The Wall, only two members colaborated: Roger and Dave
Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote: pink floyd was always a band where every member contributed something
Actually since wish you were here, not every member contributed with the writing. In Wish You Were Here: Dave, Roger and Rick. In Animals: Roger and Dave, In The Wall: Roger and Dave. The Final Cut: Roger. A momentary lapse of Reason: David. The Division Bell: Dave and Rick
Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote: just like the beatles and led zeppelin....after roger waters left it wasnt pink floyd...it was a different band, it was gilmours band....only gilmour wrote the tunes...no one else contributed....
In The Final Cut only waters wrote the tunes, no one else contributed. And after roger waters left, rick came back to the band and contributed writing tunes for The Division Bell

Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote:so i believe gilmour should release his next disc as a solo record and not give PINK FLOYD the fake status as the oldest working band in history
If he did all the tunes without any colaboration from Wright or Mason I agree with you, that?s what Waters should?ve done with the Final Cut, release it as his solo album. However, if more than one member colaborates with the writing I think it should be named a Pink Floyd album, like in Wish you were here, Animals, The Wall and The Division Bell.

And all of this, of course: IMO

Embryo

Post by nephridium »

i wouldnt mind it being released as pink floyd album just for the fact that ive never seen them before. trust me, i know it wont be the same as seeing pink floyd live with roger but itll still be pink floyd none the less. after that, all i have to do is see roger live...
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Firstly a court of law has given David Gilmour the right to use the Pink Floyd name,so,nothing we say or do will ever change that,so there is no point even talking about that!!.
I really doubt David is going to release this new album under the Pink Floyd name,because he has said in lots of interviews that he is recording a solo album,and just because Rick and Nick might be on it,does'nt make it a Pink Floyd album at all,if McCartney,Harrison and Starr got beck together before george died,it still would'nt be The Beatles,and they knew that,hence they never did it.
Plus there is no pleasing some people,by saying that The Divison Bell did'nt have the Pink Floyd sound,firstly,the 2 instrumentals on that album were more Floydian than anything on Momentary Lapse Of Reason.
And just hearing Rick Wrights voice on a Pink Floyd track and album again is just wonderful,to me Ricks voice IS Pink Floyd!!!!.And his track Wearing The Inside Out had lovely jazzy touches that echoed Shine On You Crazy Diamond,and Us And Them.
But no matter what David Gilmour writes,he will always sound like David Gilmour from PINK FLOYD!!!!.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The Final Cut.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

This is ridiculous.