Covers?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Covers?

Post by Stiggs »

I'm curious. Lots of bands (well, pretty much all of them, past and present) not only play their own songs, but do covers of songs from other bands too. Did Pink Floyd ever do that? Play covers of other band's songs? I'm just curious.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

No they didn't......Tho Roger Waters did cover a Bob Dylan song for a movie soundtrack which is on his Flickering Flame cd, and David Gilmour has performed covers at various charity shows.....he also does a couple of covers on his new live dvd
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

They used to cover some R&B stuff in the early days I think as far as I remember. :?: :?: :?: :) Before they were signed.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Keith wrote:They used to cover some R&B stuff in the early days I think as far as I remember.
That's what I recall too.
FloydNZ wrote:No they didn't......Tho Roger Waters did cover a Bob Dylan song for a movie soundtrack which is on his Flickering Flame cd,
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (I don't care for his version much, especially compared to Dylan's original masterpiece)
FloydNZ wrote: he also does a couple of covers on his new live dvd
A couple? More like half a dozen:

Terrapin (Syd Barrett cover)
Je Crois Entendre Encore (Bizet piece)
Dimming of the Day (Richard Thompson cover)
Hushabye Mountain (From the film musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1970))
Dominoes (Another Syd Barrett cover)
Breakthrough (Richard Wright cover. Rick was present for this performance.)

I'm a tad surprised he played so many covers and no songs from his two solo albums. I think "Murder" would have worked well.
shineonyoucrazydiamond

Post by shineonyoucrazydiamond »

I believe Roger as a solo artist did a cover of Across the Universe, which, I'm not sure, is either a Beatles or John Lennon song.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Roger Waters performed Across The Universe, by The Beatles (Written by Lennon/McCartney), at a John Lennon tribute in 1985.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

It was a bloody nice cover wasn't it. I downloaded it and was impressed
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I actually like it more than The Beatles' original version, and that's saying a lot.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I actually like it more than The Beatles' original version, and that's saying a lot.
The Waters version is polished pop. I am not sure I like it too much. :lol: The Beatles are the greatest!!! :)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Rog also covered "I can tell" by Bo Diddley a track they also used to cover back in the old days
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

On a bootleg called early flight part 9 or something they have pink floyd covering Like A Rolling Stone. It sounded a bit pish, but still, download it or something cause it's still something you HAVE to hear.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Rog also covered "I can tell" by Bo Diddley a track they also used to cover back in the old days
Are you sure he covered Bo Diddley's "I Can Tell"? I've always been under the impression that he once performed a song called "I Can Tell" during his Radio KAOS Tour, but it wasn't Diddley's classic...
David Smith wrote:On a bootleg called early flight part 9 or something they have pink floyd covering Like A Rolling Stone. It sounded a bit pish, but still, download it or something cause it's still something you HAVE to hear.
As far as I know, Pink Floyd never covered Like A Rolling Stone. However, David Gilmour recorded a demo of this song in his home studio on a Casio toy rhythm machine and aired it on Radio One on July 28th, 1992. That's probably the recording you have. I'd very much like to get that from you sometime...
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I don't have a copy of the song. I was in a shop where i saw the bottleg and i just asked them to play it. The guy did so, i was tempted to buy it, but it cost 15 quid, and most of the cd was AMLOR done live so i decided not to bother.

But yeah it probably was the 1992 version by Gilmour.
Syd_Roger_Rick_Nick_David
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Syd_Roger_Rick_Nick_David »

What about Lucy Leave and I'm A Kingbee

I don't know who wrote them but I remember seeing names of people that are not in the band.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

"Lucy Leave" is a Syd original, although it does bear more than a passing resemblance to "Gloria" by Them. Great singing from Syd, as well as some fine guitar playing from Bob Klose.