Covers?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Rosebud Discoballs made a fantastic album of Floyd cover versions in a disco style, its a bit too kitsch in places but good fun, Fish did Fearless on Songs From The Mirror, heres a bunch more that I compiled on a CD (please excuse the capitals, I copied and pasted the tracklisting and cant be bothered to change to lower case)...

VOIVOD - ASTRONOMY DOMINE
LOVE & ROCKETS - LUCIFER SAM
ETIENNE DAHO - ARNOLD LAYNE
JESUS & MARY CHAIN - VEGETABLE MAN
THIS MORTAL COIL - LATE NIGHT
FORTRAN 5 - BIKE (Sid Sings Syd)
GRAPES OF WRATH - SEE EMILY PLAY
RITALIN - SCARECROW
SOFT BOYS - GIGOLO AUNT
DANGLERS - ASTRONOMY DOMINE
HAWKWIND - INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE
NEIL (from the Young Ones) - THE GNOME
AT THE DRIVE IN - TAKE UP THY STETHOSCOPE AND WALK
SHAMEN - GOLDEN HAIR
NIKI MONO - FLAMING
REM - DARK GLOBE
ELEVATOR THROUGH - NO GOOD TRYING
GRADED GRAINS - LUCIFER SAM
THREE TO ONE - SEE EMILY PLAY
THE MELVINS - INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE
THE VINDICTIVES - BIKE
(theres some Syd ones in their too, I put together a CD of covers of songs written by Syd)

and finally lets not forget Luther Wright and The Wrongs fantastic country and western version of the Wall album! I have loads more too but it would take ages to rummage through.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

simpledumbpilot wrote:NEIL (from the Young Ones) - THE GNOME
Oh, that would be hilarious to hear!

I used to be a big Damned fan, and just recently discovered that they covered Arnold Layne and Lucifer Sam (I think) although I don't remember hearing these songs from their repertoire back in the early/mid 80s when I was listening to them.

Does anyone know when they made those covers?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Pugs on the Wing wrote:I used to be a big Damned fan
Cool, the guy that sings back up in our band is the Damned's driver! I'll see if he can find out for you.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Pugs on the Wing wrote:I used to be a big Damned fan
Cool, the guy that sings back up in our band is the Damned's driver! I'll see if he can find out for you.
Really!? Nifty! Say, do you know what the band status is now? I mean last I checked it out on the web out of morbid curiosity a few years ago, Sensible was back in and Scabies was out. (!?!) And Vanian was sort of affecting a sleazy Elvisesque persona which disturbed me. I sort of lost interest in the late 80s, though.

Syd was a big influence on Sensible, so I hear (just to get the conversation back to PF)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Im sure it wont hurt to stray from topic a little here :D

Yes Rat Scabies is no longer with the band, the drummer they have now is a guy called Pinch whose a friend of Steve's (our backing vocalist, which is how he got the driving job), whoever Pinch has recently been working with the Offspring so his Damned days may well be coming to an end, I believe hes going to try and juggle the 2 but Im not certain if that will work. There may be a short American tour in the pipeline but as is so often the case things are being finalised or are in talks and so on so it may not happen. I'll have a chat with Steve in the next day or 2 and see if I can find out some more for you.

Captain Sensible lives about 10 minutes away from me and has been DJing a lot recently, including a few stints in Ireland, I see him about every now and then but dont really know him personally, same goes for the rest of the band, theyre friends of a friend if you like.

Hope that helps for now, as I said, I'll try and find out more.
syd67ro
Axe
Axe

Post by syd67ro »

drafsack wrote:I have had a play it should have looked like this.

And I reciently heard a cover of Welcome to the machine in a rap/metal fashion.
I have also heard this version once at a radio station.It is Foo fighters/Brian May.I believe it is on Mission Impossible 2 OST.Haven't see the movie though.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Placebo also covered Dark Globe and it was wicked. The metal cover of welcome to the machine was probably shadows fall.