Far away guitar?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Far away guitar?

Post by Charade I am »

Is it just me or the guitar playing on The Division Bell seems a little far from the other instruments? I use to have that feeling, that the guitar is weak through the whole album. It doesn?t sound so sharp, like it does on other albums. Maybe it?s something that has to do with the production of the album, or maybe it was meant to be like that....don?t know. Anyway, I still like it, but I think it would be better with a sharper and stronger guitar sound...IMO. I don?t know about you....

Axe
Axe

Post by gillis »

i never had that feeling about that. in fact the solo at the end of wearing the inside out is one of my dave's favorite. the acoustic guitar on poles apart sounds great to me. the slide guitar in high hopes sounds very good as well.

well i think i can't really agree with you man :cry:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

80's portion of reverb!! :lol: When was that album made?
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

gillis wrote:i never had that feeling about that. in fact the solo at the end of wearing the inside out is one of my dave's favorite. the acoustic guitar on poles apart sounds great to me. the slide guitar in high hopes sounds very good as well.
I never said it sounds bad...the music is great, but I just feel the sound on the guitar playing is a little distant from the other instruments....who knows! maybe I have a bad copy...haha

Axe
Axe

Post by gillis »

Charade I am wrote:I never said it sounds bad...the music is great, but I just feel the sound on the guitar playing is a little distant from the other instruments....who knows! maybe I have a bad copy...haha

well keep it safely it's probably a collector item by now! :D :D :D
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

gillis wrote:
Charade I am wrote:I never said it sounds bad...the music is great, but I just feel the sound on the guitar playing is a little distant from the other instruments....who knows! maybe I have a bad copy...haha

well keep it safely it's probably a collector item by now! :D :D :D
hehe....or I?m just being paranoid :smt120

Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

The solos and overall guitar sound - well the overall sound of Division Bell is softer than what Floyd used to be in late 70s/early 80s. But I think it fits well.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I love the guitar work on TDB and I think it's Dave's best work on any Pink Floyd record. I believe this to be true mainly because of all the different styles he incorporates into the record:

What do you want from me - great in your face blues guitar and very distinct sound

Poles apart: Wonderful acoustic with alternate tuning

Marooned: Incredible with the pitch shifter

Another great day for freedom: Pretty basic Dave sound

Wearing the inside out: Great solo at the end but I love all the short notes that he fills with; very subtle

Take it back: An E-BOW..........only Dave

Coming back to life: In my top 3 of Dave solos all time. Great sound and I love all the bends; It's a bitch to play. This style is Dave all the way

Keep talking: Not ground breaking in any way but I love the incorporation of the talk box.

Lost for words: Great acoustic and I love how it's layerd. Plus I love acoustic solos.

High hopes: The best PWPF song IMO. Here comes the slide........an it's awesome.

This record is what makes Dave my guitar god. unlike other great players, he is adept at many different styles but more importantly, he knows when to use them in a song. He has an incredible sense of timing and knows his limitations.

I editted the names of the songs, it's much clearer now :)
Syd.

NOTE FROM ADMIN - Mods make sure the rules are met!! :?:
emiemi2375
Knife
Knife

Post by emiemi2375 »

everything dave gilmour's done is brilliant. tdb is kinda too light for to suit pf imo. however i think part of that is the production, it does seem very quiet but i'e noticed that technique in some queen records and some more arty producers like the velvet underground's stuff. what it#s meant to do is have you concentrating on it (screwing your eyes shut and telling everyone to shut up.) it somehow works that you pay more attention to the quiet bits. subtlety is a nice word but doesn't have much to do with this technique.

...in my opinion
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote:The solos and overall guitar sound - well the overall sound of Division Bell is softer than what Floyd used to be in late 70s/early 80s.
That?s what I meant. I feel the guitar playing is softer than it was in other 70?s albums. But that doesn?t mean I don?t like the album, it?s just a different style and It?s one of my favorite pink floyd albums.

Knife
Knife

Post by emiemi2375 »

yeah it;s a great album. soft, but good