Dovregubben
Axe
Axe

Best Pink Floyd Book?

Post by Dovregubben »

I have tree Pink Floyd books:
1. Jones: Another Brick in the Wall : The Stories Behind Every Pink Floyd Song
2. Miles: A Visual Documentary
3. Povey /Russel: Pink Floyd: In the Flesh (The Complete Performance History)

Whitch book should I by next? What is the best book - and what book(s) is crap?
atomaxe
Axe
Axe

Post by atomaxe »

i have echoes by cliff jones which is good ,pink floyd by andy mabbett which is a cd sized bible,the press reports and the pink floyd encyclopedia by vernon fitch which are must have's, crazy diamond by watkinson and anderson which is a good read and the wall book which is really just a collectors thing , isuppose there are some crap ones out there, but there are lots of differences even in the ones i have
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Saucerful of Secrets : The Pink Floyd Odyssey by Nicholas Schaffner

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

TheDoctor wrote:Saucerful of Secrets : The Pink Floyd Odyssey by Nicholas Schaffner

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
yep, that?s really good. Unfortunately it stops in 1991/2.
Van Halen
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Best Pink Floyd Book?

Post by Van Halen »

Dovregubben wrote: 1. Jones: Another Brick in the Wall : The Stories Behind Every Pink Floyd Song
Is that just a more recent version of Echoes??
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Yucateco wrote: yep, that?s really good. Unfortunately it stops in 1991/2.
it still covers most of Floyd's career...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yucateco wrote: yep, that?s really good. Unfortunately it stops in 1991/2.
Well...it's not as if a whole lot has happened since then, you know.

Which One's Pink by Phil Rose offers some interesting analyses of DSOTM through TFC and also offers a bit of Floyd related history along the way, as well as a comparatively recent interview with Roger (in which he states in no uncertain terms that Animals WAS NOT influenced by Orwell.)

Bricks In The Wall by Karl Dallas is a fantastic companion piece to the Schaffner book...if you can find it.

From what I understand, these "The Story Behind The Lyrics Of EVERY Pink Floyd Song" are utter rubbish and would probably do your collection a world of good to be rid of.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Hey mosespa

Did you get the Miles book you were after?
Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it
Blade
Blade

Post by Ef.U.if.U.Dont.Like.it »

Which One's Pink by Phil Rose offers some interesting analyses of DSOTM through TFC and also offers a bit of Floyd related history along the way, as well as a comparatively recent interview with Roger (in which he states in no uncertain terms that Animals WAS NOT influenced by Orwell.)
I hated this book. The guy is Can. and really tries to put his own meanings to these songs. I believe that only someone who is British of about 50 or older could truly interpret these songs correctly considering Roger has always written w/refrences to things he grew up with, British slang, etc... In the Roger interview the guy tells Roger his interpretation of a few different songs & Roger says... "No, that's not it at all...." "Any Colour you Like" is a good example of what I'm talking about. The guy asks if this has to do w/the prism cover of DSOTM?? Roger replies, "....it's a cockney thing...You can have them any color you like...as long as it's blue." As we know the LP cover wasn't made until the group finished DSOTM anyway. Why doesn't Phil Rose know this? I'd avoid this book at all costs. Unless you want to laugh at the guys misinterpretations, that's kinda fun! I'd like the guy that wrote the above to quote the lines about Animals not being about Orwell because I can't find it in the interview w/Roger. I believe all he says is that he's not particularly fond of Orwell but animals are an easy metaphor to use.

Controls are set.
Arthur King Floyd Werblun
Axe
Axe

Best Floyd book

Post by Arthur King Floyd Werblun »

Hello gang, I have the books A Visual Documentary by Miles ,but it stops in Feb of 1988; I also have Another Brick... The Stories..., and some where stored away in a box is an original hard back copy of "A Saucerful of Secrets,none of the books I have is complete so it's hard to say which book is the best, for me anyway. If I have to chose one it would probably be the Visual documentary,because it has their liive concert dates and when the were doing sessions and stuff :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

drafsack wrote:Hey mosespa

Did you get the Miles book you were after?
Nope...I've not yet got it.

I will someday.

As to the person asking me to quote the lines, I think you just pretty much did the job for me. Except that you missed the part where Roger either says he didn't like the book (Animal Farm) or hadn't ever even read it.