WOW...

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

WOW...

Post by crofloyd »

High all,
I was just reading some of the topics and think to myself:
DO YOU ALL BUY CDs IN STORE OR DO YOU BURN CDs?
I have about 200 CDs in my collection, mostly Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Doors, Santana, Eric Clapton, The Cream, Dire Straits, Steve Ray Vaughn...but mostly all are burnt CDs. My original most valuable Cds are The Beatles Anthology 1,2,3 and it took a lot of blood and tears to get to them. And the others are just burned CD because for the price of one original i could get 10 burned CDs. Very rational, what do you think?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I think it's pretty smart.

I also think your musical taste is pretty damn good.

(Ie, I own stuff by nearly all of the above. See General Discussion - A Collection Of Great CDs.)

I'm a sucker for packaging, though - I love the booklets and official-ness of compact discs.

<Cream rock.>

The only burnt ones I own are Abba Gold - Greatest Hits and a few Solution albums (Dutch 70's prog).
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I'm not against burning CD's but NOBODY can burn Pink FLoyd's CD's!!!???!!! I want to enjoy the fantastic album artwork of Pink Floyd so I couldn't think of taking to my CD-tower burned CD's. (Well I have Janis Joplin 3CD-collection that was burned to me and Iäm very proud of it but there was nothing optional artwork in the sleeves.)
NiceJangly
Axe
Axe

Post by NiceJangly »

About half my collection is on cd-r, but as the vast majority of it is over 15 years old, I have just burned them for convenience. I bought (and still have) most of it on vinyl - bought the first time round.
pinkhank
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pinkhank »

why not burn em money in your pocket is better than in someonelese, i think the music industry has been over charging for years now its time for us to get our own back and enjoy the music at the price it shopuld be,
has anyone heard the rumour that virgin are going to install download points instore so you can download your fav albums/tracks and burn to cdr ???? lets here from you guys would you pay for it ????

cheers
pinkhank
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i don't burn cds. I guess it's cause i got a part time job and little to spend money on. The only burned CD i own is The Final Cut which i'm getting on proper CD in 2 days time.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I dont burn CDs either, just like having the original
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

Ireally don't like burning........I mean aren't all those glossy cover inserts really cute? :P
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I tend to agree.

Pity most CD booklets are so darn shoddy, what with staples plunged into the delicate papers... :roll:
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I've bought most of my CDs. The only ones that I have that are burned are a few metallica albums, and some roio discs. I also have a few eatles albums on mp3 disc, but I intend on buying them eventually regardless of the fact that I already ''have'' them.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I like the smell of the finisher they use on those really glossy booklets. For that alone I will buy CDs!! I only download stuff from the net that I would not buy so nobody is getting harmed by that I dont think. If a good album comes along (like Feeders Comfort In Sound, bar a couple of songs) then I will make a purchase.

Music should not just be a resource limited in supply to everybody for budgetary reasons. Buy what you can afford and "evaluate" the rest!!
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

While I have mp3s of some songs, I'm against burning official releases. If the whole album is good enough, I'll go out and buy it.

But if you're talking about RoIOs, I'm guilty of burning those. I would rather have people share these than have some company, not affiliated with Pink Floyd, making money.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Burning official releases is not a nice thing. Burning a whole album is a filthy business indeed. :evil: Unless, of course, it is a compilation CD you are making for the car, for example, and burned from your official purchaced CDs in your collection. Ohhh yess! :lol:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I dont think bands lose money to napster anymore, people are buying CDs more than ever, except maybe Hootie and the Blowfish, they kinda died out, anyways, to see why i hate metallica, go to this great site

http://maddox.xmission.com/metallica.html
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

If anything, I find that getting stuff from file sharing sites actually helps me decide if I want to but an album or not. On more than one occasion i've bought an album on the strength of one song, only to find out that the rest of the album is pretty bad. At least I now have the option of hearing some other tracks before deciding whether to buy the album or not.