Martin Scorcese and Francis Ford Coppola rock

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!

What's the best, The Godfather Part 1, 2, or 3?

The Godfather Part 1
33%
The Godfather Part 2
No votes
The Godfather Part 3
No votes
Something else
22%
I am in the mafia
22%
Fuggedaboudit
22%

Total votes: 9

Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I adore American Pie. Last Summer I must have watched that ten times! Odd, considering it's the type of film I'd usually hate more than war and famine... The bit where Finch says "God bless the internet" is just comedy genius... 8) Uplifting.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Clerks is prettty good.

I've seen it too many times, though (got it on DVD)

;)
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Apocalypse Now is my favorite FFC. It's beautiful and horrific all at the same time. My favorite parts are when Martin Sheen (*not* the character Willard) is going through his mid-30s madness period (don't worry, you'll all go through it yourself if you haven't already) in a hotel room in the beginning of the film. He cuts his hand...this is not acting and fake blood...this was really happening to him. Also the part where Willard is about to kill Kurtz and they're playing The Doors "The End" in the background...it just meshes so perfectly.

But my favorite Scorcese is an often forgotten film from '82? or thereabouts..."The King of Comedy." It's a bit of an uncharacteristic venture for both Scorcese and DeNiro, who plays a cheesey-moustached comedian-wannabe/fan gone too far. It's too bad it's so overlooked in lieu of the director's more mob-related genre....it's quite the quirky gem.

Hey, what about Kubrick and Lynch? Two more of my faves...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I'm REALLY p**sed off, 'cause clerks is my favourite film and you americans get it on DVD while over here in Britain you can only get it on video. I have all the other Kevin Smith films on dvd, all the comics, a boigraphy and posters for every film, yet a can't get my favourite damn film on dvd. It's not fair :!:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:I'm REALLY p**sed off, 'cause clerks is my favourite film and you americans get it on DVD while over here in Britain you can only get it on video. I have all the other Kevin Smith films on dvd, all the comics, a boigraphy and posters for every film, yet a can't get my favourite damn film on dvd. It's not fair :!:

Perhaps you should invest in a DVD drive for your PC and buy a copy of the DVD from the states and play it with PowerDVD! :)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I have a dvd drive but no credit card, and my mum's one of those mary whitehouse figures who would refuse to order a dvd of a film that i'm not old enough for.

In saying i'm hardly old enough for any films i have so she's not to good at doing that. I even got in trouble at school during an exam for having a tshirt with a swear word on the back. The teahcers told her about it and she said she knew i had it.

I can never understand my parents :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:I have a dvd drive but no credit card, and my mum's one of those mary whitehouse figures who would refuse to order a dvd of a film that i'm not old enough for.

In saying i'm hardly old enough for any films i have so she's not to good at doing that. I even got in trouble at school during an exam for having a tshirt with a swear word on the back. The teahcers told her about it and she said she knew i had it.

I can never understand my parents :D
If you want to send me a cheque, postal order or cash in the post, I will order it for you and have it delivered to your house. Let me know. :)
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Uhhh.....I hate to be the one to throw in the cliche here, but I was disturbed to see Orson Welles's "Citizen Kane" was not mentioned!!!

Welles, Kubrick, and Hitchcock are my favorite filmmakers. Runners up are Cameron Crowe, Todd Solondz, the Coen Brothers, later works of John Waters, and I rather enjoy the films of most that have been mentioned thus far. I have been going through this phase for the past year or so where I have to go back and watch all those greats I never got to see, but everyone else has, like "The Deer Hunter" (that's some heavy stuff there!) and "Rosemary's Baby", etc. etc. etc. I must say I'm glad I've been doing that. "Clerks" is good, too, but I feel that the more money Kevin Smith has to work with, the less creative he is.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:...Runners up are Cameron Crowe, Todd Solondz, the Coen Brothers, later works of John Waters...
Love the Coen Bros! Fargo is one of my all time faves! But I much prefer Roger to John, any day. :wink:
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

8) The Big Lebowski
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

madcap69 wrote:8) The Big Lebowski
Good call. What an amazing film.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i heard a critisism of Kevin Smith out there about money ruining him. Well lets have a look at the evidence (sorry, but Kevin and Pink Floyd are my to obsessions so i will defend him.)

. I think the reason Mallrats failed was not because of it's budget but because it was totally ahead of it's time. It was a typical gross out comedy film that would have been hailed as brilliant had it come out along side American Pie. This film cost 6.1 million to make, most of which went in to the set (an unsuccesful mall was used as the studio so various shops e.t.c had to be set up.) The main flaw was the insincere characters.

. Chasing Amy was a masterpiece, the most dramatic comedy yet and the most humerous drama yet. This film was both touching and hailarious with a lead character you love and hate in equal measures. This film was made for around $250, 000, 2000 of which was used for holding a comic convention.

. Dogma was superb on my opinion. I feel the only problem with this was the original 3 hour and 17 minute script would have nefited it so much. Having read the script they missed out a lot of great scenes. And it's with the whole mythology that it's flawed. There was far to much to take in and not enough brakes to let you do it. Money was no the issue here.

. If you didn't like Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back then you have no sense of humour, enough said.

Kevin Smith is one of the most beleiveable film writers creating dialogue that is cose to life and characters that are close to life. He can explore the human condition and have characters wise craking one minute but being completly honest the next. The charactcerisation alone which has been varied and vast thorughout the series is amazing, and the chronology/ chacters that link them have always been great to. He's been creative all down his route and lets be honest, few comedies are as original as Dogma which expressed more biblical knowlege thatn most in it's audience.

Mallrats may have been uncreative, but pay attention to the clerks credits, it says "jay and Silent Bob will retrun in Dogma" cleraly a film that was on his mind, but out of fear of Dogma being slated he wrote the idea of Mallrats.

Chasing Amy wasn't original either but came from a real life fling he had with actress (and star of it) Joey Lauren Adams, of whom he broke up with because of his lack of experience in comparrison to her. He went through exactly what Silent Bob (who he plays obviosuly) mentions in the script.

JASBSB was totally original man. What other comedies can have such creative set pieces, Scooby Doo, The Fugitive, it's all slagged off here. The whole last part set in the Miramax studio is brilliant, and the creativity needed to have Ban Affleck playing both his character and himself in the same film while commenting on his own acting ability.

What i feel ruins his films are when the films are to heavily based on jokes. It's the serious moments that made Clerks and Chasing Amy so good. Dogma didn't have enough of those and Mallrats was lacking to. The sincerity and honesty of clerks and chasing amy made them classics and utterly timeless. Kevin's characters had grown with him and it's this maturing subtext that gave the films their heart and soul.

Kevin writes drama comedy brilliant, and with or without money that's wht he should stick to. he's still a creative genius.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I think Chasing Amy is pretty good, but it's not a classic by any stretch of the imagination. I think it is better than Mallrats (I found this VERY boring), Clerks (OK), and Jay and Silent Bob Strike back (Was boring after a while...). I have not seen Dogma yet.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Hey I dig Kevin Smith...I just feel "Clerks" was his best. Completely brilliant. I loved "Mallrats" and "Chasing Amy"...but here's my thing. While the jokes in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" and in "Dogma" were hilarious, and the script was incredible...I don't feel Kevin Smith made it as well as a director in those 2. I just think that had he not had such a high budget to work with, he might've been more creative. I don't know how to quite put in words what I think (I'm still exhausted from seeing 3 shows in a row this weekend) but I just really think when he had a $27,000 budget and was forced to be more creative and resourceful, the end result was more REAL. Not trying to offend here, David, just my opinion. I am an aspiring filmmaker myself, so I'm pretty big on cinematography, etc.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Syd'smadcap girl, can i advise you a book, it's available in USA and it's called An Askew View by John Kenneth Muir. Absolutly superb and detale the making of each film.

He's not as creative a director, but he's never been a great director. Kevin has always just been a great screen writer.

Oh if anyone took my long rant wrongly, that's just my opinion and i repect anyone elses, i just disagree that's all.