Meddle...one of my favorite albums...but...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Meddle...one of my favorite albums...but...

Post by Stiggs »

I love Meddle. Echoes is my favorite Pink Floyd song, but I read somewhere that Meddle is Pink Floyd's first concept album, just like DSOTM, The Wall, Animals, etc. If this is true, can someone explain to me how the songs progress to each other and their meanings? I know that Echoes is a song about evolution (that I can explain in great detail, cept for one part)...actually, could someone also explain that one part in the middle of the song for me as well? Those really trippy squeaking sounds? Someone said it's the progression of music over time, another person said it's "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Playing Music In A Cave" (boy that title sounds familiar, don't it?)
Well if anyone could answer either or both of my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it. :D
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

meddle

Post by drafsack »

Stiggs

From what I have read Echoes was put together from sequences of music that were (for want of a better word) left over from the studio sessions for meddle and previous albums. In terms of it being a concept album, I have never heard that, but it was writen in the same way as DSotM, WYWH and my all time favouret Animals. ie They went into the studio with nothing, played around, jammed and put together the album. The Wall on the other hand was already writen proir to going into the studio.

When you talk about the squeeky bits in the middle, are you talking about the seagulls which squeal prior to the echoe sounder sequence?
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Hmm

Post by Stiggs »

I can tell that those parts are birds squawking, but I didn't think they were seagulls. To me they sounded like crows, or ravens. But anyhoo, the part I'm talking about (I'll be specific) is the part of Echoes from 11:12 until 14:09 of the song...I'm starting to lean towards the "Animals Playing Music In Caves" theory, but again, I'm still unsure. I read somewhere that Echoes was their first concept album, and it didn't really make sense to me. I think that all the songs are about emotions, how they are developed. One Of These Days is about revenge. A Pillow Of Winds (I think) is about peace and love. Fearless is...well...not being afraid to be yourself. San Tropez is wishing (I think)...whoever the song's about wants to go to San Tropez, some sort of fun or peaceful place. Seamus doesn't really mean anything to me, but I guess it's about...something.
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

I never thought of it as a concept album. To me, it seems like a bunch of songs thrown together. They're all great songs of course, but I could never find an underlying meaning throughout the album. About the "gull sounds" (that's what they were referred to on the Abbey Road master tapes), they're sound effects that Gilmour created with his guitar. The first time I've heard him do this is in Pink Floyd's 1970 performance for the BBC. Gilmour did this in the middle of "Embryo."
Mr. Floydian

meddle

Post by Mr. Floydian »

I don't think it's a concept album- where did you read that?
:?:
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Meddle.....What A Concept?

Post by pinktim »

I would not classify Meddle as a concept album. There does not seem to be any cohesion between the songs.

There is a big question as to how the band went from an album such as Meddle onto Dark Side Of The Moon in the short of period of time it did. Remembe, that only about a year separate the two.

The genesis of Echoes is supposed to have come from the first three notes that occur in the song. They are supposed to be tones that Rick Wright generated from his electric piano or possibly from plucking the strings from a piano that was in the studio. The tones had never been heard as such ever before. So the band developed the song from there.
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

the opening note on echoes was recorded using a piano fed through a leslie speaker cabinet
syd67ro
Axe
Axe

Re: Hmm

Post by syd67ro »

Stiggs wrote:A Pillow Of Winds (I think) is about peace and love.
There was a time when I was very sleepy and I was listening to this song.I was closing my eyes,then,after 2 seconds,I was opening them.And that made me understand that A pillow of winds is about a dream,or about the process of the way from reality to dream."
Stiggs wrote: Seamus doesn't really mean anything to me, but I guess it's about...something.
I believe that Seamus was made because of the same reasons we see a cow on the cover of AHM.To show people that pink floyd can be funny.Or maybe they wanted to show that they will not be that psychedelic in the future.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I don't think Meddle is a concept album. Only an uninformed person can say that. Pink Floyd themself think of it as of a big step towards Dark Side and WYWH in terms of writing (music).
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

There's no story in Meddle, there is just six songs put together. I can't see anything that would make Seamus and Echoes a concept :lol: or it's very hard to understand concept.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I love Meddle- but I would not call it a concept album, either. As for the noises in echoes, I've always thought that they were representative of whale communications... I think the lyrics tie it in: "...and deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves". Just my take on it, tho...
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

San Tropez is basically telling a tail of a very melancholy life.

One of These Days, I thought, was about how they hated that DJ... I forget his name, but they played a part of his routine during allen's psychedellic breakfast, raving and drooling, etc.

Oh, and as far as I know, the first concept piece (although not really an album) was The Man and the Journey.
Holden Caufield
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Holden Caufield »

Text ,,One of these days I'm gonna cut you into little pieces'' PF dedicated to English radio presenter Jimmy Young. I like medlle but I don't like Pillow of the wind , this is their one of the worst song.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Holden Caufield wrote:I don't like Pillow of the wind , this is their one of the worst song.
:shock: One of their worst?????!!!! It may not be one of their best songs.... but its certainly lovely to listen to.

The whole Meddle album is meloncholy, kinda dreamish.

my 1000th post!
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Fox-Mike wrote:San Tropez is basically telling a tail of a very melancholy life.

One of These Days, I thought, was about how they hated that DJ... I forget his name, but they played a part of his routine during allen's psychedellic breakfast, raving and drooling, etc.

Oh, and as far as I know, the first concept piece (although not really an album) was The Man and the Journey.
I thought games from may was?

Pillow of winds is one of floys best songs!!!!!!!!!