Swearing

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Swearing

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Are these words considered "swear" words (I ask because they are not censored when you post them):

Bloody
Bugger
Git
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I sorted those out! :lol:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

It seems to me everytime I have posted a dirty word the site edited it itself which may have saved my tail a time or 2.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

flashback wrote:It seems to me everytime I have posted a dirty word the site edited it itself which may have saved my tail a time or 2.
The site has a word filter for filtering out filth. :-) I have to add them to it though so we can be caught out with that!! Just out of interest, does anybody actually want to be able to swear when they like on this forum? :lol:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I figure it's really pretty good the way it is,sometimes I just get carried away & don't think but the site kicks in & takes care of it.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Swearing

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Are these words considered "swear" words (I ask because they are not censored when you post them):

*muddy*
*mugger*
I have a problem with "those" two words too. David pm'd me and told me what "mugger" (heh) meant, but now I'm really puzzled about "muddy". I mean, being from the States, I guess they just don't have the impact on us here as it would someone from the Isles.

I mean here, "muddy" means you're just, well, you know, like cut yourself shaving or hacked off a finger or something...no big whoop. A little gory, perhaps but nothing more than that.

I guess it means something else entirely, though, other than the literal meaning. Not as up on my British slang as I should be.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

That's an interesting question...There's another web board that I go to in which swearing is completely tolerated...it doesn't bother me.

The fact that swearing is handled here by word substitution is a wonderful thing, I think...that way, the point still gets across.

I am one of those people who doesn't see swear words as "gasp...he cursed...for shame" sort of things. To me, curse words are modifyers...if you want to stress a point, you use the "D" word...if you really want to REALLY stress that point, you use the "F" word.

Maybe it's just me...........(Deja vu)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Hmm... I don't think swearing is really very necessary here, for some reason... :-k Although I do like to curse as much as Ozzy in real life. :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

I don't mind swearing unless it is excessive and gratuitous, in which case I'm more offended by the user's stupidity than by the swear words themselves.

I tend to edit out swear words with asterisks on my journal site, just so that I don't get lots of idiots coming there looking for sicko sexual images...I get enough disturbing search requests in my referrals as it is.

I like the approach Jerry Seinfeld uses best, though, using creative language to describe things....master of his domain and all.

I guess it's good that the forum script automatically censors us so that you can designate what words you allow and what words you don't, just so people don't have to second guess. I mean what's swear words to someone is perfectly acceptable to someone else, but the only problem is that sometimes it censors out legitimate usage of a word, you know, like the nickname/variation on the name Richard, for example. :wink:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Wasn;t it George Carlen(I think I spelled it right)who use to end his shows with all the dirty words you couldn't say on tv?
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

damn you British people, all your cuss words mean something else and i have no idea what your talking about. i mean, it should be easier, we speak the same language except you all have an accent :D

by the way, all of you on the other side of the atlantic, what do you think of the way americans talk? how would you describe it?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Tommy wrote:by the way, all of you on the other side of the atlantic, what do you think of the way americans talk? how would you describe it?
You lot tend to elongate your vowles maaaaaaaaaaan!!! :-) Waaaasssuuppp!! :lol: Nice. I think americans sound irish and Ireland is probably where most white americans came from at one point in history I think. I am not an historian though. I am a webmaster!
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

kjnpf wrote: I am not an historian though. I am a webmaster!
Master of your domain, eh? :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Tommy wrote:i mean, it should be easier, we speak the same language except you all have an accent :D
IThinkYou'llFindYOU'RETheOnesWithTheAccent. :lol:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Why do the majority of British blokes sound quite American when they sing?

KISS ME, I'M IRISH. :lol: