Swearing

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Why do the majority of British blokes sound quite American when they sing?

BTW, KISS ME I'M Irish. :lol:
Because it would sound a bit silly any other way!! :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I'd like to give everyone here a explanation for why git (my favouritew word ever) passes the swear filter.

. I managed to conduct an old git test which offended nobody, this can be shown that 2 people use the word in their signatures, one of which boasts being a git.

The word is meaningless because:
. Nobody on the forum has ever been called a git
. It's a tounge in cheek word, often used to avoid direct swearing
. It's also a word with comic value, imagine someone being serious when they say "git."

A great Brit show Only Fools And Horses has the word appearing in it with considerable frequence, the videos have PG certificates, much like this site, which afterall wouldn't have a U certificate or it we couldn't discuss drugs :D

A different definition of the same word is in the dictionary, go to http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/g/g0135100.html to see another meaning of it, and no swear words really have double meanings.

Finally, the first recalled use of the word used publically was in the 1920's in which it was used as an abreviation for Get It Together. Since then "git" has been used to describe someone who needs to get it together.
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Only Fools And Horses is a Fuuunnnyyy show.
So is Coupling.. lol .. :lol:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Don't like coupling personally, just does the 3 guys and 3 girls concept to death.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Keith Jordan wrote:
flashback wrote:It seems to me everytime I have posted a dirty word the site edited it itself which may have saved my tail a time or 2.
The site has a word filter for filtering out filth. :-) I have to add them to it though so we can be caught out with that!! Just out of interest, does anybody actually want to be able to swear when they like on this forum? :lol:
Honestly, I would. But that's probably just me.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Oh..........%$#@, and &*(#@, I Ahhhhhhhhhhh...........meant !#@# $%^&* )(*&^% :lol:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:I don't mind swearing unless it is excessive and gratuitous, in which case I'm more offended by the user's stupidity than by the swear words themselves.
I'm with you on this. A lot of times, when I use swear words, it's simply to put emphasis on something I am saying..."That _ _ _ _ _ _ _ jerk"...etc. Or, "That's a great _ _ _ _ _ _ _ song". It gets the point across a bit more effectively. But when I encounter people who find it necessary to use the "F" word every 5th word, there's a problem. I am automatically turned off to whatever they may have to say, for the simple fact that overexaggerated (spelling on that word?) swearing is simply unncessary.

By the way, what DO muddy and mugger even mean?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I'll pm you and tell you.

I agree that swearing is a bad thing that could pollute this forum, even if at times it is necessary. Just imagine it without the filter, it would be chaoc on occassion 'cause if you tell someone they have the right to swear then they're more likely to do it.
Beatle Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Beatle Neil »

Isn't there just a touch of hypocrisy going on here?
Within the opening seconds of this band's most famous album a voice clearly says 'I've been mad for fucking years..."

Plenty of F's flying freely in some of Waters' stuff.
So what, like? .......and?

Waters has always been down to the point - "Our children are learning crap" and "15 channels of shit on the tv" - why shouldn't we be?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Beatle Neil wrote:Isn't there just a touch of hypocrisy going on here?
er.... where? :roll: :lol:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, but Pink Floyd aren't a forum. Pink Floyd were also drug users, doesn't mean we have to be to :D
Beatle Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Beatle Neil »

No, but it's nice though, isn't it?
Scias
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Scias »

:roll:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Beatle Neil wrote:No, but it's nice though, isn't it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

madcap69 wrote:Oh..........%$#@, and &*(#@, I Ahhhhhhhhhhh...........meant !#@# $%^&* )(*&^% :lol:
Why don't you *&#$%??*@ @##@ ##$@$ ^??!@(??$##@#???!!! :twisted: :x