Did Acid House make Pink Floyd Cool?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did Acid House make Pink Floyd Cool?

Post by Keith Jordan »

In Sunday's Rockonteurs, Guy and Gary were speaking with Oasis' Noel Gallagher. They were discussing that the acid house music scene in Manchester made Pink Floyd cool back there in 1988, particularly when Pink Floyd played Maine Road. There were new people in the audience like the football hooligans and other people who didn't usually attend.

Do you think there was a time when Pink Floyd were not "cool"? Do you think the ecstasy/acid house movement made Pink Floyd a bit more culturally relevant?
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Did Acid House make Pink Floyd Cool?

Post by Yucateco »

I remember Floyd being totally uncool in the 90s. They were labelled as rock dinosaurs and totally outdated in the rise of Britpop. It changed around 2000 when the nostalgia factor kicked in.
Arnold Lane
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Did Acid House make Pink Floyd Cool?

Post by Arnold Lane »

Yucateco wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:21 am I remember Floyd being totally uncool in the 90s. They were labelled as rock dinosaurs and totally outdated in the rise of Britpop. It changed around 2000 when the nostalgia factor kicked in.
I was coming through high school in the britpop years , I remember listening to alot of oasis , stone roses , happy Mondays and Floyd with my mates . They were definitely cool to us at the time , 2 of my mates had guitars and 1 of them spent all his time trying to be Dave Gilmour while the other was trying to be Jimi Hendrix .