Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
81%
9%
9%
No votes
1 - Worst
No votes

Total votes: 43

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Post by drafsack » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Putting this into context I saw this in a cinema in 75/76 and was blown away seeing it on a 60 foot screen. And although some say it was a missed opportunity it is a lot better than 'The song remains the same' which is a concert footage film

phuzzyday
Embryo
Embryo

Post by phuzzyday » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 am

Hi all.

I just registered to ask about this!!

So, from my understanding, the quad audio version of this show was only shown in a few select theaters, and then QUAD mix was virtually lost. I don't know if that's true.

I've found an interesting bootleg, and my intention is to follow the rules here, but I would like to know if this is a big deal or not!

It must have been from the DVD source, but it's 1080p. Up scaled I guess.
But the big thing, is that it has the FOUR CHANNEL QUAD sound track on it. And it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!! The notes re:the audio refer to some guys finding a reel of the original film with quad.

Have I found something interesting? Or does everyone know about this already? I figure you guys will know the truth.

Just curious..
PD

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi

There was a laser disc version with 6.1 surround a sound doing the rounds in the late 90's so that could have been the source. I never bought it but I did hear it being played in a Sony shop and it was stunning

twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 am

^^^
The laserdisc versions of Pink Floyd material pop up quite regularly on eBay but you sometimes have to look specifically on eBay.it etc ... I have no hardware to play such discs but would be interested in a DVD with a 4.0 or 5.1 soundtrack.

DarkSideFreak
Axe
Axe

Post by DarkSideFreak » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:56 pm

JanVanCau wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 pm
I'm listening to the audio mix on the Early Years 1972 Obfusc/ation album on Spotify, and there is a lot of 'static' (I don't know if that's the right word) on the loud parts of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.

Is that also the case on the cd?
Yep.

Not a big fan of Pompeii myself, too. I think virtually all the live material that's been released on the Early Years sets, plus Ummagumma, sound better... they had been moving onto more melodic musical ideas, but for some reason stuck with mostly old stuff for the movie, and you can sense that they had grown a bit bored of those tracks...