Volume 2 download format.

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!

Preferred download format for next tribute CD

SHN
41%
FLAC
59%

Total votes: 22

simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Volume 2 download format.

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I would like to find out what format people would prefer the next tribute CD download to be available as.

The 2 options are:

SHN or FLAC - more people are familiar with SHN but FLAC is picking up steam and for those unfamiliar with FLAC you will have 5 months to find out more, also the file size will be smaller in FLAC format. So I think we should let the people decide. What do you reckon folks?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I would rather have FLAC personally but I have voted for SHN as I believe this is the easiest for most people to use.
In The Pink

Post by In The Pink »

I voted SHN 'cause I am a lot more familliar with it than FLAC, but it doean't matter which format is used. I'll download the entire volume, regardless. :wink:
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

I'm happy with both, but as FLAC is the emergent compression format it makes sense to encourage people to use it. In addition, the file sizes are smaller, which means shorter download times, fewer discs and lower postage costs. So, disregarding the tactical voting above, I voted for FLAC.
In The Pink

Post by In The Pink »

Norbert Wilkins wrote: but as FLAC is the emergent compression format it makes sense to encourage people to use it. In addition, the file sizes are smaller, which means shorter download times, fewer discs and lower postage costs.

Good point.

I'm starting to think I voted wrong. :?
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

In The Pink wrote: Good point.
I'm starting to think I voted wrong. :?
Me Too..... Me thinks me should look into Flac a little more......so the mext time some one say's .... Hey, don't give me Flac ..I can say hey...don't knock it.... I know ...drifting!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

As FLAC is not as easy to use as SHN this is a constraint to supplying people with useful copies of the finished work.

If the objective is to distrubute useful copies to as many people as possible then, introducing the constraint of "new technologies" in the form of FLAC will go against that objective as the cost of pushing the boundaries of this relatively new technology.

I guess the question is, how much potential lost distribution will result from us pushing a new technoogy?

The people who will want FLAC or SHN will have one of more of the following characteristics: 1) they will have broadband or 2) they are interested in lossless compressed audio.

If they have either of the 2 aforementioned characteristics then I guess a positive point will be the lost distribution will be reduced by the fact these people are technologically aware and could probably pick up the idea of FLAC with a short tutorial.

On the other hand, there is the inertia to change and inertia to steep learning curves. A lot of people will not be bothered with some fan produced thing in something called FLAC! What is FLAC??? lol

So, how much potential lost distribution will result from us pushing a new technoogy?
In The Pink

Post by In The Pink »

One thing I can say, is I have used FLAC before, and I was successful. And if I can figure it out, anyone can. :wink:
fat_old_sun
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by fat_old_sun »

i dont understand why more roio's haven't been circulated in APE... from what i hear that is just another lossless format which is even smaller than flac.

like linda said, if worked out how to use .ape's... anyone can do it.
dukem
Blade
Blade

Post by dukem »

I vote for SHN just because i am used to it now but to be honest, as long as it is lossless, the format is irrelevant.
hueni
Axe
Axe

Post by hueni »

both is fine - but only having i dailup modem, FLACs smaller file sizes are preferable for me
balthazarr
Axe
Axe

Post by balthazarr »

Not familiar with SHN and just exposed myself to FLAC yesterday.

Is there a way to transfer to CDR which is readable by older cdp's in a main system?
jmr
Axe
Axe

Post by jmr »

FLAC.... just because I'm more familiar with it. But hey, as long as it's lossless, I don't really care.
lando2k
Axe
Axe

Post by lando2k »

i prefer FLAC and voted for it. SHN would also be fine.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Who is going to write the "idiot-proof" tutorial for using FLAC then?