New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by raisemyrent »

I was driving today and listening to Keep Talking, and after reading Flathead's blurb above (btw what do metacritic and rateyourmusic think about your opinion?), I realised how, for the longest time, I'd appreciated that modern Pink Floyd sound that is exposed during the instrumental intro to Keep Talking (especially live), and how I always seemed to long for more. Well, thank you Andy Jackson, Phil Manzanera, Youth, Ezrin, and Pink Floyd for making my dream come true.

And of course Keep Talking is an amazing song; especially live. The studio version has a beautiful synth solo too, and it climaxes at a slightly different point during the talkbox solo (right when Stephen Hawking comes back; it's even accentuated by the change in the drum beat). Just yesterday during a break from jamming (we did all of Dark Side), somebody was saying how Peter Frampton is considered the best at talkbox guitar. mmm I'd say Gilmour can give him a run for his money, to say the least.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

raisemyrent wrote: And of course Keep Talking is an amazing song; especially live. The studio version has a beautiful synth solo too, and it climaxes at a slightly different point during the talkbox solo (right when Stephen Hawking comes back; it's even accentuated by the change in the drum beat). Just yesterday during a break from jamming (we did all of Dark Side), somebody was saying how Peter Frampton is considered the best at talkbox guitar. mmm I'd say Gilmour can give him a run for his money, to say the least.
Keep Talking is outdated and sounds like something from Miami Vice....

The 80's and laziness killed the Floyd sound.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Flathead wrote: The 80's and laziness killed the Floyd sound.
I think it was the track "Echoes" that locked them into that slow tempos and I can still hear this aspect of the band in TER.
I was going to say it's no wonder the band in the 80's tried to use latest recording techniques to repeat Echoes, because they gave up and gave us AMLOR.
But you still think TER is crap. I don't mind, as at least it kept this thread going!
We are now entrenched on our opposite views on this album! <ii>
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I could have sworn I was listening to a Steely Dan album a time or two.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Flathead wrote:
raisemyrent wrote: And of course Keep Talking is an amazing song; especially live. The studio version has a beautiful synth solo too, and it climaxes at a slightly different point during the talkbox solo (right when Stephen Hawking comes back; it's even accentuated by the change in the drum beat). Just yesterday during a break from jamming (we did all of Dark Side), somebody was saying how Peter Frampton is considered the best at talkbox guitar. mmm I'd say Gilmour can give him a run for his money, to say the least.
Keep Talking is outdated and sounds like something from Miami Vice....

The 80's and laziness killed the Floyd sound.
well, newsflash, it's 20 years old, mate. It sounded more modern than older Floyd. They evolved (e.g. Roger didn't). You didn't like it. I do.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

It doesn't sound more modern than old Floyd. That's the problem.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Flathead wrote:It doesn't sound more modern than old Floyd. That's the problem.
Well, Pink Floyd, of all bands, made its name for its ageless sound so maybe you're onto something...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Flathead wrote:It doesn't sound more modern than old Floyd. That's the problem.
That's probably the most superficial reason for disliking a record I have ever heard of. It's also only true if you expected it to be filled with hip-hop beats and computer generated noise.
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

You know, ol' Rog once said:
"The only thing that is important is whether it moves you or not. Nothing else is important at all."

It moved me, so I consider it a good record.
I don't care about production or songs, I care about it as a whole.
And, as a whole, it was pretty good.

That's my two cents.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

TER still at number 16 one week on. Many other albums have crashed out of the top 20 on their tenth week.
And DSOTM moves up to 88.

http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

any word on american platinum or gold?

and JUST WHAT do they say at the end of louder than words? Someone had said something like 'that was nice', but I almost hear the word 'play'. See Emily play??
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

All of Pink Floyd's albums ranked in a fascinating article. TER is dead last, as expected:

http://www.stereogum.com/1727721/pink-f ... best/list/
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

raisemyrent wrote:I was driving today and listening to Keep Talking, and after reading Flathead's blurb above (btw what do metacritic and rateyourmusic think about your opinion?), I realised how, for the longest time, I'd appreciated that modern Pink Floyd sound that is exposed during the instrumental intro to Keep Talking (especially live), and how I always seemed to long for more. Well, thank you Andy Jackson, Phil Manzanera, Youth, Ezrin, and Pink Floyd for making my dream come true.

And of course Keep Talking is an amazing song; especially live. The studio version has a beautiful synth solo too, and it climaxes at a slightly different point during the talkbox solo (right when Stephen Hawking comes back; it's even accentuated by the change in the drum beat). Just yesterday during a break from jamming (we did all of Dark Side), somebody was saying how Peter Frampton is considered the best at talkbox guitar. mmm I'd say Gilmour can give him a run for his money, to say the least.
I just cant get into Keep Talking myself. The music is there but I think the female chorus is a bit too much for me. Talkin Hawkin, (its twin I like to say) on The Endless River is also pretty strong musically but I think they just need to cut out the whole Hawking excepts. Kinda ruins it for me. I dont think its the worst song on The Endless River(that would be Anasina) but Im just not liking it right now.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Flathead wrote:All of Pink Floyd's albums ranked in a fascinating article. TER is dead last, as expected:

http://www.stereogum.com/1727721/pink-f ... best/list/
Ok, you've got me convinced. Once I get home I'll smash my copy of TER to pieces and burn the remains in the backyard. Because a fascinating article says it's bullshit, so it must be bullshit. I mean, it's not just a personal opinion of some anonymous internet critic, it's universal truth. It must be, because the article is simply fascinating. It opened my eyes to the fact that TER is the dead last Pink Floyd album on all accounts.

Nah, just give it up already, will you?
henno

Post by henno »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/11/r ... to-best/3/

heres another opinion piece that has 2 much older albums as considered worse....

the internet is great, it will always give you want you want if you look hard enough

had a good chuckle at this though
“The Endless River” is for those fans who get Pink Floyd, who are moved on a profound level by the music, regardless of its origin.
from here
http://www.statepress.com/2014/11/13/pi ... ess-river/