Polly Samson's View of Roger Waters

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Polly Samson's View of Roger Waters

Post by azza200 »

Russia Asks Pink Floyd's Roger Waters To Speak At UN On Arms Shipments To Ukraine

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-roger-wa ... 60779.html
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

azza200 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:09 pm Russia Asks Pink Floyd's Roger Waters To Speak At UN On Arms Shipments To Ukraine

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-roger-wa ... 60779.html
But... Even if he does, he'll fucking mention Polly somehow.
What the hell? What the fucking hell? Sorry for swearing but. No, what the fucking hell?
Refute allegations*
WARRIORUSSIA: Rog, babes. Announce Tanks. Thx.

What the actual fucking hell is going on?!! <.8.>
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

First of all, who is Polly Samson? Sorry to say, she is just someone who contributed the worst lyrics to some lackluster songs in the dying phase of Pink Floyd. Roger should ignore her as much as possible, the pope shouldn´t be forced to make a statement everytime a nun farts somewhere.

With that being said, I don´t mind Polly doing drunk ramblings like a 12 ryear old on twitter, I couldn´t care less. I am much more ashamed of Gilmours response to this. THAT is the really sad part of this,Gilmour showing his true ugly face by agreeing on his wife´s nonsense.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

It's a sad state of affairs that one of my favourite bands of all time are reducing themselves to a fuckin soap opera. Grow up.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Yucateco wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 amWith that being said, I don´t mind Polly doing drunk ramblings like a 12 ryear old on twitter, I couldn´t care less. I am much more ashamed of Gilmours response to this. THAT is the really sad part of this,Gilmour showing his true ugly face by agreeing on his wife´s nonsense.
‘Well say something David….’

‘Like what?’

‘I’m your bloody wife- at least support me’

‘Yes but I’ve got some new pedals I need to try- this Quad Cortex is lovely….’

‘He’s played you long enough- stand up and be a man…’

‘Ok -just pass me that patch lead and I’ll get on it’

James While · 7 feb. reply to @davidgilmour
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:46 pmWhat the actual fucking hell is going on?!! <.8.>
It could be worse...

Hopefully, Nick Mason will stay away from this mess
or only comment something nice which won't take any side.
[-o<
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Roger Waters at the UN, the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXMmRg9ZcU
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artis ... n-ukraine/

Maybe this article is what Polly knew about in advance is what made her make her post on twitter
Waters’s problem with the rest of Floyd, he says, was that they “can’t write”. “Well, Nick never pretended. But Gilmour and Rick [Wright, the keyboardist]? They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists!” He shouts the last two words. “They have no ideas, not a single one between them. They never have had, and that drives them crazy.” It’s oddly poignant, hearing him berate Wright (who died in 2008) in the present tense. It’s as if keeping the petty rivalry alive is a way of keeping Wright alive. Wright’s final solo album, he says, is “not as vacuous as Drake, but it’s pretty vacuous”.
Now Waters is planning to release a rival version of Pink Floyd’s most famous record, without Pink Floyd’s permission. I’m no copyright expert, but might there be some obstacles to that? Waters smiles: “I have no idea.”
After we speak, his rep phones up to say the album – originally set for March – has been pushed back to May, as Waters still hasn’t quite finished tinkering with the recordings. A big concert that was meant to launch it in March has also been postponed, probably to May, and moved to a different venue. It all sounds a bit shambolic, but they assure me the release is definitely happening.

Waters is adamant that Dark Side is his to muck about with however he sees fit. “I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon. Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ c--p! Of course we were a band, there were four of us, we all contributed – but it’s my project and I wrote it. So… blah!” (Waters, who wrote the album’s lyrics, is credited with composing three of its 10 tracks, and co-writing music for two others.)
‘You play the guitar and sing and do as you’re bloody well told’

WATERS ON GILMOUR
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hadrian wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:25 pmRoger Waters at the UN, the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXMmRg9ZcU
Nooooo! This is not a bad dream!

Pink Floyd and politics...
Pink Floyd saving the world...

Waters preaching on and on, at the UN?
Can someone give a transcription,
to read what's being said?

Reminds me of Bob Geldof... (The Wall)
Musicians saving the world...

Anyway, where's GILMOUR?
Why isn't he involved here, at the UN,
despite his 'Hey Hey Rise Up'?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

azza200 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:56 pm
Now Waters is planning to release a rival version of Pink Floyd’s most famous record, without Pink Floyd’s permission. I’m no copyright expert, but might there be some obstacles to that? Waters smiles: “I have no idea.”
Waters is credited with all the lyrics, which makes him a co-author (at least) on all the songs (so no problem there). Instrumentals "Speak to Me" credited only to Mason, and "Any Colour You Like" credited to Gilmour, Mason and Wright, could be problematic in that regard. "Speak to Me" is a derivative sound effects collage, so not sure how that works. "Any Colour You Like" is essentially an instrumental take on "Breathe", so it is derivative too (it was named "Breathe (Second Reprise)" in the official Dark Side guitar tablature book), i.e. a product of a song which Waters co-wrote as a lyricist - unsure how that goes as well. I think that it will go ahead without problems. Iconoclastic and bold move, to say the least.

"The Great Gig in the Sky" is the furthest one out here.
Aqualung
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Aqualung »

Yucateco wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 am First of all, who is Polly Samson? Sorry to say, she is just someone who contributed the worst lyrics to some lackluster songs in the dying phase of Pink Floyd. Roger should ignore her as much as possible, the pope shouldn´t be forced to make a statement everytime a nun farts somewhere.

With that being said, I don´t mind Polly doing drunk ramblings like a 12 ryear old on twitter, I couldn´t care less. I am much more ashamed of Gilmours response to this. THAT is the really sad part of this,Gilmour showing his true ugly face by agreeing on his wife´s nonsense.
Couldn’t agree more with you. As for Gilmour ugly side, I had the unfortunate experience of meeting the guy a long time ago during his about face tour. Turns out that despite the whole happy smiley « I’m the goody goody one » he is a very unpleasant person, so his two faced back stabbing stance does not surprise me in the least. He is parroting Polly… now there’s a turnaround!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Where's the Pink Floyd in which only Syd Barrett went crazy? :shock:
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

Wolfpack wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:11 pmAnyway, where's GILMOUR?
Why isn't he involved here, at the UN,
despite his 'Hey Hey Rise Up'?
I rather suspect Waters has been invited to address the UN because his role these days is more as an activist than a musician. Gilmour, on the other hand, isn’t. Simple as that.

That being said, does anyone really expect the words of a musician, no matter how eloquent or involved he is in advocating for peace and against war, to reach the ears of the people of the UN Council? I don’t. I think it’s quite pointless, to be honest.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

Aqualung wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:59 pm
Yucateco wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 am First of all, who is Polly Samson? Sorry to say, she is just someone who contributed the worst lyrics to some lackluster songs in the dying phase of Pink Floyd. Roger should ignore her as much as possible, the pope shouldn´t be forced to make a statement everytime a nun farts somewhere.

Couldn’t agree more with you. As for Gilmour ugly side, I had the unfortunate experience of meeting the guy a long time ago during his about face tour. Turns out that despite the whole happy smiley « I’m the goody goody one » he is a very unpleasant person, so his two faced back stabbing stance does not surprise me in the least. He is parroting Polly… now there’s a turnaround!
Go on, don’t hold back… dish the dirt!!
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

wiped wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:38 pm It's a sad state of affairs that one of my favourite bands of all time are reducing themselves to a fuckin soap opera. Grow up.
My sentiments also. They should salvage their fucking twilight years with some mutual respect. Shame on both of them.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Polly is having another go at Roger!
Screenshot_20230216_190854_Twitter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.