Keep Talking Swell

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
japatchett
Embryo
Embryo

Keep Talking Swell

Post by japatchett »

Hiya. my first post here, hoping someone can help.

I play keyboards with Pinc Ffloyd (The Welsh Pink Floyd Show).

In keep talking there's a really aggressive sounding thing going on in a couple of spots - just leading into the guitar solo and half way through and again half way through the keyboard solo. It sounds like a heavily distorted Hammond with a lot of echo. Having great trouble recreating it. I wonder if anyone has had any joy recreating that sound? I've pretty much got the rest of the sounds in that song nailed, but with that one I'm not sure where to even start!!

I have heard some people on youtube using alternative sounds, but I like to try and get as close as I can to the original sounds.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Keep Talking Swell

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've not recreated this sound, but unfortunately me not knowing what I'm talking about does not always shut me up.

When I read your post, I wondered if it was the trick of a leslie speaker starting up and taking some time to get going, as frequently used by Jon Lord in Deep Purple. Listening to the sound, it appears to have some leslie on it, but I'm not sure that I can hear the speed change. Mostly I think it's either bandpass filtered, or perhaps highpass filtered to thin it out.

If I was to attempt this, I think I would use a Hammond VST and try automating the leslie simulation speed as I think there might be a slight speed up and slow down during the sound. And experiment with filtering as mentioned.

BTW: I listened to your band's tracks on SoundCloud and am impressed. I checked if you will be playing near me sometime (I'm not in Wales) but I only found one performance on the 9th of September in Wales.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Maybe you could ask Jon Carin on Facebook, he loves to talk about stuff like that.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It sounds to me like a heavily treated Hammond Organ glissando. As for what the treatment is...good luck! But, as an educated guess, Pink Floyd regularly worked with Leslie speakers and Binson Echorecs (which they had people to keep working for them,) so, not to sound like an advertisement, but if your budget affords the Keely Dark Side pedal, I've played guitar and keyboards through it and through experimenting, was able to get the "Floydian" effect I was after...or near enough to it to satisfy me.

Maybe try putting your keyboards through one and playing with its rotary emulation and delays (modeled on the Echorec) and see if that gets you anywhere.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Yucateco wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:00 am Maybe you could ask Jon Carin on Facebook, he loves to talk about stuff like that.
and get blocked lol