Ideal Listening Order and Versions

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
pedrohbahia
Embryo
Embryo

Ideal Listening Order and Versions

Post by pedrohbahia »

I've been listening to Pink Floyd literally since before I was born, introduced to it by my parents, who thankfully have the best taste in music. It's part of who I am, my routine, my state of mind and spirit. That being the case, after becoming the superfan I presently am, attending several Roger concerts and one precious Gilmour one, and having the band as my unbeaten Top 1 in spotify every year since I've had the music app, I decided to create an ultimate playlist, with the best songs (in their best versions, as deciding which version, live or studio, to listen to, has always been a question for me) in the best order I could figure (Dark Side had to be the start) in which I could have my ultimate Floyd package always ready for me and not have to pick an album or show to listen. With all that said, I'd like to share it with you all superfans:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6aPIy ... 6ed2554863
to critique, add suggestions to, and hopefully ENJOY, as it was a labor of love.

This was made, of course, out of my own subjective opinion, and out of love ;)

PS: I'd love to see your own Pink Floyd playlists, if you could share below

Uploaded to this thread to because maybe it fits better.
Eclips
Axe
Axe

Re: Ideal Listening Order and Versions

Post by Eclips »

It's really fun to create one's own personal listening experience.
I like to mimic box sets by placing several albums in sequence inside a playlist.
There's a vinyl box set from the 2016 releases the features all studio albums from Piper until Wall, and then division bell.

So I made a playlist 10h28min long with this albums and listen to it through the day, as if the Box Set was a whole album.

I did the same to Genesis (all from Trespass until Duke, including Live and Seconds Out). It is 10h33 min long

It is a wonderful daily experience. Of course the music will need several pauses during the day, but by starting early in the morning you can have the full experience until night arrives.
pedrohbahia
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pedrohbahia »

Love that! No point in going through life without a soundtrack, I say. And there's no better soundtrack than Floyd! I also hated having to jump in and switch from album to album, so an ultimate compendum like such was the best idea!
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

My preference is on Japanese vinyl. :)
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

It’s a great list. Very comprehensive. I think comparing one playlist with another would inevitably lead to discussion over which version of a song is preferable!

It’s a shame David Gilmour in Concert was never released on CD or on any streaming platform; I’d definitely have Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI–VII, ending from Part V) on any playlist, and probably Comfortably Numb (the version with Bob Geldof, not the Robert Wyatt one), and there are others worth considering from that concert.