your 10/10 albums

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Metal Mickey

Re: your 10/10 albums

Post by Metal Mickey »

PublicImage wrote:Brilliant choices. I'm afraid I had to exclude the pre-Kid A albums by Radiohead in the quote, because I just cannot get into them as whole albums, for some reason. But they've all got some great songs on them (even Pablo Honey!).

I'd also like to mention a few others:

Remember Shakti - The Believer
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven and Yanqui U.X.O. (I haven't heard their other albums/EPs yet, but I'm sure that they'll be 10/10 if they're anything like what I've heard already.)
Sergei Rachmaninoff - Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff
Howling Bells - S/T
King Crimson - Red
The Modern Lovers - S/T
Philip Glass - Dracula
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Fair enough about The Bends and OK, but for me, they rank as two of my all time favourite albums. I've been a Radiohead fanatic since my teens, so everything they have put out post Pablo, has become a hallmark for me in terms of my musical tastes. Needless to say, I am extremely anxious for their new album...from what I've heard, it sounds fantastic! Then again, I am biased.

As for your selections, you clearly are a muso because I have never heard of some of these artists, except Godspeed (excellent band!), King Crimson (don't dig 'em except for Robert Fripp - brilliant guitarist), Philip Glass and of course Mr Yorke (The Eraser is ok but not much of a stretch, IMO).
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I'm also dying to hear their new album. I've actually been avoiding live recordings of their new songs, mainly because I just don't like listening to audience recordings, but I also want everything on the new album to be completely fresh when I hear it for the first time, and I find their songs better in context with the rest of the album. I did hear the orchestral arrangement of Arpeggi from the Ether Festival, which I really hope gets included on the new album. I love Jonny's Ondes Martenot playing.
Have you heard any of Jonny's compositions for the BBC? I think Popcorn Superhet Receiver is brilliant. I can't find recordings of any of the other pieces that were commissioned, though.
The Eraser was very much a grower album, for me. I liked it on the first listen, but didn't think that it sustained the quality of the title track throughout the album. But it just kept getting better each time I listened to it, which seems to happen quite often with Radiohead-related music! I'm still not too sure whether or not I like Bodysong by Jonny Greenwood, but I'd love to see the film for which it was composed, as it's rather difficult to imagine what the music is supposed to be a representation of if you've got no idea what concept it is based on.

I love GY!BE's ability to draw out crescendos for such a long time without becoming boring. When they really do go for it, they just sound incredible. It's a shame they probably won't be getting back together any time soon, because they have so much potential.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

PublicImage wrote:I'm also dying to hear their new album. I've actually been avoiding live recordings of their new songs, mainly because I just don't like listening to audience recordings, but I also want everything on the new album to be completely fresh when I hear it for the first time, and I find their songs better in context with the rest of the album. I did hear the orchestral arrangement of Arpeggi from the Ether Festival, which I really hope gets included on the new album. I love Jonny's Ondes Martenot playing.
Have you heard any of Jonny's compositions for the BBC? I think Popcorn Superhet Receiver is brilliant. I can't find recordings of any of the other pieces that were commissioned, though.
The Eraser was very much a grower album, for me. I liked it on the first listen, but didn't think that it sustained the quality of the title track throughout the album. But it just kept getting better each time I listened to it, which seems to happen quite often with Radiohead-related music! I'm still not too sure whether or not I like Bodysong by Jonny Greenwood, but I'd love to see the film for which it was composed, as it's rather difficult to imagine what the music is supposed to be a representation of if you've got no idea what concept it is based on.

I love GY!BE's ability to draw out crescendos for such a long time without becoming boring. When they really do go for it, they just sound incredible. It's a shame they probably won't be getting back together any time soon, because they have so much potential.
Excellent point about staying clear of the live recordings of the new songs! I have, however, heard a few of the new tunes taped last year during their tour and I must say that they're really good, especially 'Down is the New Up' and 'Bangers and Mash'. BTW, the recorded versions, at least of these two songs, sound nothing like the live versions in terms of arrangements so I really wouldn't worry about hearing them before the record comes out.

No, I haven't heard Jonny's BBC compositions but I've hear they're very well done. I have heard 'Bodysong', which is what it is - a film score and yes, seeing the film would definitely put the music in proper context...I've yet to see it as well, obviously. I'm glad you seem to be rather impressed by Jonny's musical capabilities. He is probably one of the greatest musicians/songwriters working in modern popular music and deserves much more accolades then he receives.

With regards to The Erasure, you are not the only one to have had the album grow on you...I think everyone who purchased it had the same gradual acceptance for it (myself excluded. I just don't find it that impressive...I guess my expectations were too high).

BTW, I didn't know Godspeed broke up! Not surprising considering they had real issues with the fact that their fan base was growing...they were always against any type of commercial success. They are/were really good...it's a shame!
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

moom wrote:Just curios what choices Corie dislikes and why :) ... ?

:D
Oasis - :(
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

corie wrote:
moom wrote:Just curios what choices Corie dislikes and why :) ... ?

:D
Oasis - :(
AND WHY?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I reckon Oasis have been rubbish for about a decade now
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Division Bell
Rush - Caress of Steel, A Farewell to Kings, Signals, Counterparts and Snakes and Arrows
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Wind and Wuthering and Duke
Black Sabbath - Sabotage, Heaven and Hell and Born Again
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III, Houses of the Holy and Presence
Queen - A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World, The Game and Innuendo
Supertramp - Crime of the Century, Even in the Quietest Moments, Brother Where You Bound
Eagles - Desperado, Hotel California and The Long Run
Rainbow - Rainbow Rising and Straight Between the Eyes
Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Rock, Burn
KISS - Hotter Than Hell and Destroyer
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

You've got some awesome selections there ESLAFTK2112! :) The only band that doesn't seem to fit with your general likes is the Eagles. What in particular do you enjoy about them? I have always liked The Eagles simply because their songs are very listenable, and if at a party, it seems that everyone is familiar with the songs and will sing along. To say they are one of my favorite bands? No, but I do enjoy their music from time to time.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

David Smith wrote:I reckon Oasis have been rubbish for about a decade now
I think RHCP suffer the same illness.
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Absolutely right! Give it away, now....please
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Syd'sSexy wrote:You've got some awesome selections there ESLAFTK2112! :) The only band that doesn't seem to fit with your general likes is the Eagles. What in particular do you enjoy about them? I have always liked The Eagles simply because their songs are very listenable, and if at a party, it seems that everyone is familiar with the songs and will sing along. To say they are one of my favorite bands? No, but I do enjoy their music from time to time.
I grew up on The Eagles. I have a weakspot for the band. The first vinyl LP I had was The Eagles' Their Greatest Hits 1971-75, the first 8-track cartridge I owned was Hotel California. My dad loved the 1971-75 era and my mom dug the Joe Walsh era. Then also, first albums I heisted were Dark Side of the Moon (which my mom always had copies of) and Wish You Were Here (they were in the basement of my house in 1981). After I hear something heavy, The Eagles are the equal of bringing me back to Earth.
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Try gravity instead! It's free, doesn't hurt your ears and lasts forever :)
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

A Silver Mt. Zion - "This Is Our Punk-Rock," Thee Rusted Satellites Gather + Sing

If their other albums are this good, they'll have to join my list of ridiculously good modern bands.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

my breakfast. wrote:
David Smith wrote:I reckon Oasis have been rubbish for about a decade now
I think RHCP suffer the same illness.
Let's hope the next releases will be as great as their earlier works :)
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote:After I hear something heavy, The Eagles are the equal of bringing me back to Earth.
I totally agree. There is something about their music that has a calming effect, especially songs like "Take It Easy" and "Tequila Sunrise." My favorite song they performed is "Victim of Love."