New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Hadrian »

Radio edits are worth tracking down, sometimes you get an isolated album track that has a clear audio beginning/end (i.e. no audio overlap with the previous/subsequent song, as is often the case on Pink Floyd albums). This is great to have if you want the song mixed into your own ad hoc playlist. Unfortunately this is in some cases simply achieved by a cheap fade-in/out, and sometimes content from the meat of the song is edited out for time purposes.

"Louder Than Words" is supposed to be an equivalent of The Beatles' "The End" from Abbey Road - the last song on the last album. The idea got watered down on Abbey Road because Paul added that "Her Majesty" nonsense after the long break as a bonus track, and because they released Let It Be album afterwards, but "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" is the perfect terminal sum-it-up for the Beatles.

With that in mind (and all the complaints about the words Polly wrote), I am wondering what lyrics for "Louder Than Words" should be like?
DJWilliams
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DJWilliams »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFE0wDxSLPs

Track identified as "Louder Than Words" but actually isn't that track. Let's see how long this one stays up. If it even is Pink Floyd!
The track is River of Stars by Peter Bartholomew according to Shazam.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

DJWilliams wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFE0wDxSLPs

Track identified as "Louder Than Words" but actually isn't that track. Let's see how long this one stays up. If it even is Pink Floyd!
Hahaha! I thought it didn't sound like Pink Floyd. And are the comments loading up slowly for everyone else?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Hadrian wrote:Radio edits are worth tracking down, sometimes you get an isolated album track that has a clear audio beginning/end (i.e. no audio overlap with the previous/subsequent song, as is often the case on Pink Floyd albums). This is great to have if you want the song mixed into your own ad hoc playlist. Unfortunately this is in some cases simply achieved by a cheap fade-in/out, and sometimes content from the meat of the song is edited out for time purposes.

"Louder Than Words" is supposed to be an equivalent of The Beatles' "The End" from Abbey Road - the last song on the last album. The idea got watered down on Abbey Road because Paul added that "Her Majesty" nonsense after the long break as a bonus track, and because they released Let It Be album afterwards, but "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" is the perfect terminal sum-it-up for the Beatles.
With that in mind (and all the complaints about the words Polly wrote), I am wondering what lyrics for "Louder Than Words" should be like?
Interesting. I guess our old ending was For ever and ever, as I said, more by circumstance perhaps than by intention. Now it is Louder Than Words. I think. I avoided the actual unedited ending to the leaked version like the plague (not emotionally ready lol).

I thought they might do something like what you mention with the lyrics but with the chords during the solo. That was definitely my first impression when listening to it. I guess they're the same as in the chorus, but I hadn't noticed all the chords really until the solo came. In addition, when they hit the C#m it just sounded like Pink Floyd to me (and I doubt I was thinking, at least, consciously, of What do you want from me), to the extent that I thought it was a Bm a la ComfortablyNumb/Marooned, but in hindsight, I think it was just the power of the home chord with backing vocals and a guitar solo. You could still argue that they took 2 of their very signature chord changes (as per my previous) and made a song out of it.

Last but not least, a couple of your posts have reminded me of an old mm psychological defence mechanism I came up with years ago. Faced with the (then) fact that Pink Floyd's last had been TDB and Live 8, you could compile a fan album of what a final record would've looked like (based on speculation on material that would've been right at home on a Floyd album). Here is my track listing (I'm not married to the song order), open to additions and suggestions:

1. Castellorizon
2. Breakthrough (Live)
3. Red Sky at Night
4. Interlude
5. Unfair Ground
6. Each Small Candle

I couldn't bring myself round to adding Take a Breath because I just don't like it, even though I cannot deny it sounds just like something written for AMLOR and produced like it was Pink Floyd. Bonus or debatable tracks: Island/Barn Jams, Pan-Am Shuffle.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I do agree that "High Hopes" would've been an excellent Pink Floyd equivalent to The Beatles' "The End" (and it was, until now).

For me the most fascinating fact about Pink Floyd is the ability to survive as an entity against all odds, for almost 50 years now. Syd's exit in 1968 was as much of a head-on collision event at the time as Roger's exit was in 1985 - nevertheless in both cases Pink Floyd survived, and successfully continued on. Live8 2005 reunion with Roger had a definite air of finality, and I was certain that Rick's passing in 2008 meant the story is finally over - and yet, here we are again in 2014, waiting for the new studio album, against all odds.

In terms of content, this is what the final song should be about, imo. "Against All Odds" :D
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

I can't help picturing Phil Collins in my head right now.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

:lol:
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Need to get a copy of this!

bboynexus wrote:I can't help picturing Phil Collins in my head right now.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I can't help it.

"During the war..." :lol:
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

Jambo, you can buy the issue on the google play store or the apple equivalent. Great read, and making me want to hear the entire album all the more.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Until I hear that David and Nick officially disbanded the group, I'll take that "Pink Floyd is dead" headline with a grain of salt.
petebartholomew
Embryo
Embryo

Post by petebartholomew »

DJWilliams wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFE0wDxSLPs

Hahaha! I thought it didn't sound like Pink Floyd. And are the comments loading up slowly for everyone else?

Petebartholomew wrote:

I have just watched this on Youtube and Shazam is correct! Definitely not the Floyd as it is my tune that someone has mixed in with something else and put in their video! This is my actual tune cdbaby.com/cd/peterbartholomew3
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

petebartholomew wrote:
Petebartholomew wrote:

I have just watched this on Youtube and Shazam is correct! Definitely not the Floyd as it is my tune that someone has mixed in with something else and put in their video! This is my actual tune cdbaby.com/cd/peterbartholomew3
Can you report the video or do you want to let it play out for a bit longer?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

What do people think of Pink Floyd Louder Than Words Lyrics?

I became aware only yesterday that, in addition to the radio edit I heard on the BBC, there is an extended version with more lyrics in! Who knew!