I don't know what to think.......I really don't

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

I don't know what to think.......I really don't

Post by Stiggs »

I was hanging out with some friends earlier today and I called home to check in (cuz I'm such a good kid :D ) and my mom said there's some bad news and I have to go home. So I dropped off all my friends and went home. I found out my dad has bone marrow cancer and that his cancer is incurable. He has 6 months to a year.......

This is the weirdest and most messed up thing I've ever heard in my life. For the first time ever I really don't know what to think.

Has anyone here been in this situation? Know something to tell me? Please do....I'm sad and confused. Earlier today I was having the time of my life and at the end of the night I don't know what is going on any more.

Death f'ing sucks.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

i dont know what to tell you, but im a praying person for the most part and ill pray for you and your dad, im really sorry
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Stiggs,you got 6months to a year to love your dad for a lifetime,make the most of it while you can.Other than that I don't know what to say except a little prayer you & yours.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Stiggs, stay strong and focused and help your dad. Make sure you talk to people about it though and let it all out. Life is both beautiful and awful. Remember not to forget that when it is awful, there is beauty also.

My dad nearly died last year from a spinal infection that swelled his brain and caused a heamorage (sp?) and that happened suddenly. I held my dads hand in accident and emergency while i thoght he was dying and that was just awful. Not the best feeling and not a nice memory. Although it is awful that your dad has his condition it is also beautiful that you do have time to savour. You have an opportunity here as well. :) My thoughts are with you.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Stiggs--I lost my dad in December to lung and brain cancer. Cancer sucks. Death sucks, but it is a part of life. There is nothing that anyone can tell you that will make things change (I'm not a prayer, but praying may work, I do no know). The only thing I can do is to try to help you through it. If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to email me.

It truly is surreal at times.

You and your dad and family are in my thoughts.

Paul
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Glad 2 know y'all care enough to pray for my dad. I'm not that much of a praying person but now it's what I should be doing. Once you hear something like this your whole thought process is disrupted. It's all I can think about right now. I mean here's my dad, I've known him all my life...yet now that I think about it both my grandfathers died right around the age my dad died. Death is weird how it works that way. It's unfortunate men don't usually live as long as women do. I guess such is life.

Thanks for your support everyone...I guess tho most of us may never meet it doesn't matter because there's communication.........boy this sounds like a TDB song.
Fireland
Axe
Axe

Post by Fireland »

I'm really sorry for your dad, Stiggs. I'm not a praying person, but if you need someone to speak with, here we are all forum members, including me, of course. Your father needs support too, so make sure to him how you love him the next months, and take care of him.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Stiggs, I wish I could help you and your father somehow. I know one thing I can do is pray, and that I will do. I know I can't understand exactly what you're going through, but your friends at NPF will be here for you no matter what.

I don't want to steal your thread, so I won't go into detail, but one of my friends attempted suicide last night and I almost lost him. Things like these really put things in this world into perspective.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Richter_M. wrote:I know I can't understand exactly what you're going through, but your friends at NPF will be here for you no matter what.
Word to that. FOR SURE. [-D-]
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

I'm sorry to hear your friend tried to take his (her?) own life last night. Death from natural causes is one thing, but when a person tries to actually kill him/herself, that's something completely different.

Suicide always seemed to me in a way selfish, yet stupid. Not stupid as in a bad idea or whatever, stupid as in the person couldn't get a grip on their situation, or they actually believed that ending their life was a good idea. Some people don't understand that no matter how bad their lives may be, there are people whose lives are much, much worse than theirs. Yes you may be far in debt, or you may be addicted severely to a drug, but there's always the chance that you can pull through. You've just gotta have faith that you can get through things.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Stiggs,

I know this will probably be of no comfort whatsoever, but sometimes it's helpful to remember that death is a natural part of life. There is no cure for it and nothing that can be done about it, so allowing it to get you down or worry you is a monumental waste of time.

I am not a Christian, nor am I "religious" in any conventional sense...I DO have some ideas about what happens to one after they die and maybe this will offer you some comfort.

If your father learned all that he had to learn in this life (and you now have a heads up to help him before he dies)...then he will reach "the ultimate reward,"...however you want to take that.

If he hasn't learned all that he is to learn...then in about ten years, his spirit will occupy a new body. Granted, you may never meet him again and if you did, the two of you wouldn't recognize each other...but you may feel better knowing that he's out there, somewhere, still growing, still learning...still living...just not as you knew him.

I wish you and your father all the best in the time you have left. I've no doubt that you will make the most of it.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

I am laughing about one part....every single friend of mine has told me to get my dad stoned. :lol:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Stiggs,

I'm super glad you posted this to the group. We all may be spread out all over the globe, but I think we're a pretty tight knit group here. Words can be very powerful...so I do hope you sincerely take what everyone says to heart.

If you EVER need to talk, or just someone to shoot the breeze with, you know how to get ahold of me outside of the forum. I promise that I will do my best to be there and show you the friendship you so deserve.

Peace and love,
Desarae
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Stiggs,some people would say you have a blessing & a curse.The blessing is this,you have six months to a year to spend with your dad.Have you ever thought how many people would love just 1 more day with thier loved 1 let alone 6 months.The curse is 1 that everybody goes thru,losing a loved 1.Most of the time the parents die before thier kids.You have the golden chance of spending time with him.So many people don't get to say goodby because the lose thier loved1 suddenly.Make the most of it.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Stiggs, i wish there was spmething i could say here, buit i can't think of anything remotly approprate, anyone i've lost i did years ago so it was totally different so i've never been through anything like that.

In all honesty though, my thoughts are with you and your dad.