Syd- wish you were here recordings

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
RKBfan
Axe
Axe

Syd- wish you were here recordings

Post by RKBfan »

I have been wondering if anybody knows here what happend when Syd came in to the studio recordings on wywh. Did he say something special or do you know were i can read about it
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

i think he came in and just kinda stood there while the band was fooling around with shine on parts I-V, and no one recognized him or something, dont know the whole story
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

I thought I read that he asked them if they needed him to contribute any guitar or anything...I think it was during that session...or was that some time earlier :?:

I guess he was jumping up and down, brushing his teeth. He was quite overweight with a shaved head. Mentioned his refrigerator with pork chops. :roll:

Made Roger cry. :cry:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:I thought I read that he asked them if they needed him to contribute any guitar or anything...I think it was during that session...or was that some time earlier :?:

I guess he was jumping up and down, brushing his teeth. He was quite overweight with a shaved head. Mentioned his refrigerator with pork chops. :roll:

Made Roger cry. :cry:
Yes, this is a sad story. And, yes, he'd asked Rick Wright if it was time for him to lay down his guitar tracks yet, and Rick just said, "Syd, we've already recorded the guitars."
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

I believe that Syd played on those sessions because he went there two times.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

crofloyd wrote:I believe that Syd played on those sessions because he went there two times.
That's fun to think about, but I really do not think it happened. Nowhere have I read anything like that documented, and nowhere can I hear anything on that album that sounds Sydian...far too Gilmouresque.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Syd also said that Shine On sounded "Odd", or something to that extent.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

He thought it sounded old.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

I wonder what he meant by old. :-k

Does anyone remember in some interview, I think it was the VH1 Pink Floyd Syd Barrett Legends, Roger or someone was saying that at the time Syd was losing it, Syd thought they should add two women saxophonists to the lineup. Crazy thought in 1968, BUT...I was watching a VOIO I have that contains some concerts with Post-Roger Floyd, and lo-and-behold, there's a female saxophonist. :-;

Syd...what a visionary. :lol:
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

I think I know the quote you mean - but can't find it, or remember it exactly :x

He thought the group should add female singers(?) + sax

(If you've got/find a copy of a large book profiling rock starks "the book of rock" - it's on Syd's page in there with Roger's re-action - saw that flicking through the book before having to go to the job centre, made me smile thinking of DSOtM - very visonary :lol:)
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:
crofloyd wrote:I believe that Syd played on those sessions because he went there two times.
That's fun to think about, but I really do not think it happened. Nowhere have I read anything like that documented, and nowhere can I hear anything on that album that sounds Sydian...far too Gilmouresque.
He didn't.
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

Roger says that the story behind Syd and his happenings are really mysteriuos because no one knows the truth, so, people can bausically make up thier own stories, which, is what a lot of the media does, he says.
And he also said that if you listen very carefully at the end of Wish You Were Here (the song), that after all the wind goes, you can hear Syd's violin playing and that they didn't give Syd credit because he thought it would be too disrespectful!!!

Its really sad though, its all so sad, to think when I'm listening to Floyd with Syd on it, that, well...He's not around anymore.... :cry:
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Syd rather mysteriously appeared at the sessions just once and just as mysteriously left later during Gilmour's wedding reception with no one noticing when or how.

He played nothing whatsoever on the record....and in fact pronounced "Shine On" as sounding old.

He absolutely was NOT the violinist/fiddleplayer heard at the end.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Stephane Grappelli was the violinist.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Maybe Syd did the whole album and he just dropped off the recording at the studio.