What do you do to love Pink Floyd music?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
pyramidolic
Embryo
Embryo

What do you do to love Pink Floyd music?

Post by pyramidolic »

When you are older and you are spending too much time listening P.F. music sometimes it´s necessary find out something to eliminate a certain kind of weariness.

I want to say that the most lovely music in the world could become in something a little bored when you have listened some many times.

Your love always is the same or perhaps each day you love more but in this case you must invent something in order to dont lose it.

What do you do?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I don't listen to it so often! I mean, I once went without Dark Side Of The Moon for a whole six months! And then it blew my head off. :)

Hmm, FVP's 1000th post. Cool! 8)
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

i collect bootlegs !
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Playing the guitar helps me!! :-({|=

Tinkering with songs you may have grown a little bored of soon helps to rekindle the love!! :D
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I also record crap cover versions on my keyboard! :D
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Let's see now...I've been listening for 20 years...maybe a little more. I started with the early 80's stuff in the early 80's. It took me awhile to realize there was something before The Wall. Then I listened almost exclusively for 5 or so years DSOTM to RW's PaCoHH, and never really listen to stuff that came before that. I thought it was to weird, I guess. It took me until about 5 years ago to really get into the meat of the early years and the rareties, so it has never really gotten old to me.

Give me 5 more years and we'll see what happens.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Spinoza wrote:i collect bootlegs !
I'm starting to myself. Interested in any trades or B&P or something? PM me if you are as I am just getting started.
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

I've managed to download a few bootlegs and a few PF videos and covers....covers can be....well....interesting to say the least....i have 44 in total, ranging from a thrash metal version of Run Like Hell..... to a hillbilly singing comfortably numb with a banjo and a cow for sound effects...brilliant!
"ok, just a little pinprick....they'll be no more MOOOOOOOO"
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I listen to Pink Floyd everyday,yes everyday.There are so many albums & bootlegs that it really never gets old.Like I have always said "Gotta have my Floyd fix everyday".Usually do it when I'm on this machine.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Re: What do you do to love Pink Floyd music?

Post by W1P »

pyramidolic wrote:When you are older and you are spending too much time listening P.F. music sometimes it´s necessary find out something to eliminate a certain kind of weariness.

I want to say that the most lovely music in the world could become in something a little bored when you have listened some many times.

Your love always is the same or perhaps each day you love more but in this case you must invent something in order to dont lose it.

What do you do?
Well, I organized a Pink Floyd tribute band 5 years ago and we've been going strong since. Over the past year, I put together a two CD Pink Floyd compilation with 29 different artists that was released this month. I collected as many Pink Floyd tribute CDs as I could find. I read all of Vernon Fitch's books, A Saucerful of Secrets, the book "Which One's Pink?" I watched Pompeii, Syd's first trip, Pulse, DSOT, The Wall, Gilmour's Meltdown and I've listened to every official CD released by Pink Floyd all the way through on numerous occasions. Other than that, I have not done much to keep the love alive :P
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Oof, excellent question. I do a couple different things.

First, I limit myself in how often I listen to their music. The more I like a given song/album, the less I allow myself to listen to it. Over-listening is the quickest way to lose interest in an album IMO, and so I listen to, say, WYWH once every two months or so, no more (except special circumstances).

I also refuse to buy all their albums. The earliest Floyd I own (not counting RoIOs) is Atom Heart Mother, and I have every studio album after. I'd love to run out an pickup the remaining albums, and I will someday, but this way I always have something to look forward to. If I were to get every single release they've put out, then I'd find myself saying "Okay, great...now what?" This is a problem for "extinct" bands; you don't have new albums to look forward to every few years. I do continue to buy Floyd music, but only in a very gradual way.

Finally, I reserve certain "Floyd moments" for those times when I start to fear I'm losing interest. The first of these to come to mind is the second solo in "Yet Another Movie" (hold your tongues, you anti-MLoR fans). Every time I hear it, that solo reminds me of why I love Pink Floyd. For some reason, these Floyd moments have a way of instantly reminding me of how awesome the band's music is.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I basically listen to nothing but Pink Floyd musicm i dunno why. no matter what else i listen to it just can't interest me. Ok, i have a lot of cds, but foyd are by far the band i go back to the most.

Really it annoies me friends a lot, argumets where i refuse to admit flaw with the band e.t.c And it's not even albums i listen to a lot as much as individual songs on compilation mini discs i've made. It must be an obsession
pyramidolic
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pyramidolic »

At the beginning, when you are in love with the music you are like a teenager groom but the time pass soo much quickly and the first nature of love sometimes can change.
The real love appears in your heart and in your mind like a eternal flash when the understanding is clear. In order to love for ever you must know and understand the music and the real author´s purpose, but this wisdom born naturally, it´s a consequence of the daily dedication to find some answers to play the game and to be one with the mistery.

We are very lucky to listen a kind of music plenty of meaning.

Thanks to the authors.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

I must admit, I do not listen to PF every day. In fact, I sometimes go for weeks withhout it. The thing is, between the early stuff and later stuff, there is a lot of variance so one could listen to it alot.

The same goes for the Grateful Dead but more so as there are so many more shows out there and each one is way different and varied. Plus, the sound of a band changes over the years. Yet, I do not listen to the Dead every day or even every week.

I have about 2,000 cds and growing--especially roios. Yet, I still get bored. Then I go back to my old vinyl and put something on that I cannot find on cd.

I find that I can listen to different periods of the band: Syd, early 70's, mid to late 70's, 80's, 90's. So, in some ways it is like listening to a different band as they sound so different in each time period. :D
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I never get sick of listening to Floyd. It all seems as fresh as it was the first time I heard it. I often think about why I am so attracted to their music and here are my random thoughts:

Piper and ASFOF were the first Floyd records I'd heard. The music and lyrics were completely unpredictable and very innovative. Keep in mind that this was the late 70's. Listening to these records started some sort of chain reaction in me to search out more Pink Floyd. I was quite attracted to the many different sound effects that were present.

Their music has evolved over time; almost like reading a book from beginning to end. This is true IMO from 1967-1979.

The fact that Dave, Roger and Rick (to a lesser extent) all sang lead vocals- Some bands are so predictable because their lead singer always sounds the same; not Floyd. Not only did they all sing but their voices seemed to change a bit with time.

They were very innovative in the studio.

Rock, jazz, blues, country, progressive; all different musical styles but all present to some degree in Pink Floyd music.

All members have made significant contributions to the music.

Their stage show- need I say more.

Their music always kept me guessing on what was to come next.

Great instrumentals

Not afraid to record long songs: ASFOS, Echoes, Dogs, all long but all great.

They pretty much kept to themselves which created a shroud of mystery.

Although creatively they were at their best up to and including The Wall, I think TFC, AMLOR and TDB are all great.

I saw them in 1987 & 1994 and saw Roger twice.

I have no doubt that if Floyd were to record a new record ( with or without Roger) it will be great.

What did I forget???