What do you do to love Pink Floyd music?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I listened to wish you were here album earlier today and enjoyed it more than the last time I listened to it. It is such an amazing album. Great architecture in the music!! :lol:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I try to listen to thier studio albums in order that they were put out & go through them all except for WYWH which I listen to anytime I fancy seeing how I(IMO) feel it's thier best.
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

I love Pink Floyds music because first and foremost it is really great music
that almost always moves me and interests me.
The second reason that they feature so very heavily in my record collection is because their music suits and mirrors so many emotions and
feelings that lots of people go through in their lives( me included),i shall
name a few songs which i love for the above reasons
Astronomy Domine (this song always inspires me if i am feeling down)
Cirrus Minor (if i am stressed ricks organ solo and the layers of echo always chill me out)
Echoes (Brilliance!)
Wish you were here ( a lovely contemplative song,can relate to anyones
life and people that have gone or are out of reach)
Comfortably Numb (beautiful song,beautiful guitar solo,can send the shivers down my spine)
Two suns in the sunset (great lyrics about the folly of nuclear arms and the hatred of man for his fellow man,"we were all equal in the end".

Thats just a small amount of the floyd songs i love
Let there be more light :D
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

This is going to sound pathetic...but Pink Floyd is MY LIFE. Most of the music I listen to, I've listened to my whole life...and there's a reason I love these bands so much. It's the different realms they take me to! I can't ever get sick of that! I dig anything that evokes emotion...nothing gets me going more than PINK FLOYD. :)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

This is going to sound pathetic...but Pink Floyd is MY LIFE
There is nothing pathetic about that as I also feel the same I can listen to them all day every day and not get feed up. I have been listening to Dark Side for nearly 30 years and I still enjoy it like it was the first time. Wish You were here and Animals are both so fantastic that I get dewy eyed just thinking about them. They are also very personal to me and I feel helped me through a bad patch I was going through at the end of the 70's. When I hear them It reminds me of the bad times I had then and how better I felt each time I listened to them - the under currents of sadness and optimisim that run through them. I also think of the time I saw them in 1977 playing Animals and large chunks of Wish you were here and I was so happy that tears were rolling down my cheeks. So it would be fair to say Pink Floyd is my life as well as my hobby and they rank up there with my wife and Kids (although it would be a close call).
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:This is going to sound pathetic...but Pink Floyd is MY LIFE. Most of the music I listen to, I've listened to my whole life...and there's a reason I love these bands so much. It's the different realms they take me to! I can't ever get sick of that! I dig anything that evokes emotion...nothing gets me going more than PINK FLOYD. :)
This is a classic post. I love it! :D
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

drafsack wrote:
This is going to sound pathetic...but Pink Floyd is MY LIFE
There is nothing pathetic about that as I also feel the same I can listen to them all day every day and not get feed up. I have been listening to Dark Side for nearly 30 years and I still enjoy it like it was the first time. Wish You were here and Animals are both so fantastic that I get dewy eyed just thinking about them. They are also very personal to me and I feel helped me through a bad patch I was going through at the end of the 70's. When I hear them It reminds me of the bad times I had then and how better I felt each time I listened to them - the under currents of sadness and optimisim that run through them. I also think of the time I saw them in 1977 playing Animals and large chunks of Wish you were here and I was so happy that tears were rolling down my cheeks. So it would be fair to say Pink Floyd is my life as well as my hobby and they rank up there with my wife and Kids (although it would be a close call).

I have always had a very strong connection to the 1977 tour mainly the show they played in Milwaukee that summer at the old County Stadium. I was a bit young at the time (11) to go but remember very clearly all of the hoopla that surrounded the show as well as the small "pigs" that were teathered to all of the light posts in the parking lot. It made a huge impact on me as I was entering my teen years and developing my love for music. I recall reading newspaper articles on the show and even cut them out; I wish I could find them now. That is where my love of the band started. Sounds weird but I seem to always be in a constant search for items relating to that show.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Pink Floyd really marked 2001. for me. It was a very interesting period of my life with all ups and downs, girls and friends, music and books, playing in the band and getting drunk, lying in my bed and riding with the bus. PF made a soundtrack of my life. It was Meddle and DSOTM (with a little bit of PULSE going on).
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:This is going to sound pathetic...but Pink Floyd is MY LIFE.
Same here and i'm only 16 :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:Let's see now...I've been listening for 20 years...maybe a little more. I started with the early 80's stuff in the early 80's. It took me awhile to realize there was something before The Wall. Then I listened almost exclusively for 5 or so years DSOTM to RW's PaCoHH, and never really listen to stuff that came before that. I thought it was to weird, I guess. It took me until about 5 years ago to really get into the meat of the early years and the rareties, so it has never really gotten old to me.

Give me 5 more years and we'll see what happens.

DPNS...so GREAT to see you active on a board again, my brother!!

You know, this is almost how I did it, too. The Wall and DSOTM were the first things I digested and really began to encode upon my DNA around the ages of 9-11. When I was in High School, I discovered WYWH and then went to work at a radio station where I discovered Meddle and PATGOD...as well as "Works" and "A Collection Of Great Dance Songs." The compilations were not something I listened to regularly...most of the songs were available on other albums that also had other great songs on them.

But I was 22 before I finally bought and seriously listened to "Animals." And the only reason I bought it...as I said at the time...was because I was jonesing for some Gilmour guitar work I had never heard. I didn't know anything about the album other than "biographical" information...I had never heard it.

That triple-tracked pre-bend in "Dogs," STILL gives me goose bumps.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

This is an incredible thread.........it's amazing how much one bands music can affect so many people in the same way.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

mosespa wrote:
DPNS...so GREAT to see you active on a board again, my brother!!
Glad I found you and Will again!

Peace bro.

Hey, I'm living near Dayton Ohio now.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Bummer that you moved from Chicago, man...Melinda and I were planning on heading that way this summer, perhaps.

As for the comment about Floyd being one's life...ME TOO!!!!

I bore people with my devotion to Floyd. Not a day goes by that I don't listen to them or watch something of theirs or speak at length about them. They have truly had such an impact on my life that is immeasurable.
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

It's amazing to see the diversity of today's musicians who say that they have been influenced by Pink Floyd. I have read countless interviews of bands who seem to have a completely different style from Pink Floyd, yet cite them as one of their idols or influences! :P

Hmm... I just realized this didn't have much to do with the topic. Well to answer the question, I like to put my playlist on Pink Floyd shuffle. That way, I get a very interesting listen from the earliest works to the most recent. I never know what's coming up next. :wink:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

mosespa wrote: I bore people with my devotion to Floyd. Not a day goes by that I don't listen to them or watch something of theirs or speak at length about them. They have truly had such an impact on my life that is immeasurable.
I find this to be true also. I have moved in with some roommates who are really only familiar with The Wall, Dark Side, and Wish You Were Here. Anytime I've played anything other than those, they tend to get fidgety and bored, so I just play it on headphones to avoid hearing anything negative about the Floyd...They're all mostly into metal and stuff anyway, which I can't stand, but put up with nicely, because I don't see a reason to complain about people loving music passionately. I was informed last night by one of my roommates I am going to burn her out on Floyd. But she plays the same 3 songs by The Gathering every single day, which is something I don't even dig to begin with...and I don't say anything to her!

Last night I went to a friend's house, and there was this girl there who is very very very nice, very cool, and I really dug her a lot. The only problem was this: She'd asked what we wanted to listen to, I said "I can always go for some Pink Floyd." She said her cds were a bunch of mix cds she'd made, and added: "I think I have one of 'HIS' songs on this one, one of the 2 only good songs 'HE' did." It was--you guessed it--"Comfortably Numb". She said the "only" other good song was "Hey You". I told her she needed to hear more Floyd!!! And, uh, they're a BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a "HE"!!!

I'm very careful with whom I play early and lesser known Pink Floyd songs/records. I have noticed over the years that not everyone gets as excited as I do, no matter whether they claim to be "HUGE FLOYD FANS".....and I've also noticed the average person could care less about Syd Barrett, and thinks his music is too disjointed, can't look beyond the surface, and just labels it "weird", thus preventing them from keeping a further open mind. But I do suppose it takes a special type of person to love and enjoy Syd Barrett's music. I just don't GET why EVERYONE doesn't love "Obscured By Clouds"!!!