Music Recommendations?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Music Recommendations?

Post by eternalechoes »

Can anyone recommend some good progressive rock bands? Being a realtive newbie to this genre... :? I really don't where to start. I've heard a lot about Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Camel, Rush, and a bunch of others. What are some good albums to start with?

Also, what about the current scene? I really like Godspeed You Black Emperor, and I've heard that Porcupine Tree is very good. Any suggestions?

Thank you! 8)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I like Genesis. I like them just as much as Pink Floyd, although The Dark Side Of The Moon is my definitely favourite LP of all time. I don't care what that makes me!!! :wink:

Get The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for a really meaty, satisfying listen. :)

I also adore King Crimson. I've got every studio album, and can heartily recommend any of the following titles: In The Court Of The Crimson King, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Starless And Bible Black, Red, and Disclipline. The music is chunky, angular and utterly original, if occasionally "difficult" (that Robert Fripp for you). :roll:

Er, yeah. Byeee! :lol:
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Thank you! I try to check them out. :wink:
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac albums. That's all.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Genesis 'Selling England by the Pound' - certainly one of the best prog rock albums of all time IMO.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Not Now Neil wrote:Genesis 'Selling England by the Pound' - certainly one of the best prog rock albums of all time IMO.
Wow. :shock: Absolutely! :D
Neil

Post by Neil »

I think that Gabriel Genesis was better than Collins Genesis, although the latter had its moments. The album 'Genesis' from the early 80s was great - it featured 'Home by the Sea' and 'Mama'. 2 great songs!!!

Shame 'In the air Tonight' wasn't a Genesis song.. it was the only solo Collins song that was any good!!! :wink: :shock: :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

I like Phil-sung-era Genesis and Phil Collins solo, too. Sorry! :wink: :wink:
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I like Phil-sung-era Genesis and Phil Collins solo, too. Sorry!
I can't stand the Phill era of Genesis it was too main stream, I much prefer the Peter Gabriel era.

Groups that are worth listening to at the mo (although they are not that prog, but they have their moments) are:

Flaming lips
Radiohead
Mercury Rev
Dandy Warhols
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Get "Amorok" by Mike Oldfield,1990,if that does blow you away,nothing will!!!!!
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Music Recommendations?

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

eternalechoes wrote:Can anyone recommend some good progressive rock bands? Being a realtive newbie to this genre... :? I really don't where to start. I've heard a lot about Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Camel, Rush, and a bunch of others. What are some good albums to start with?

Also, what about the current scene? I really like Godspeed You Black Emperor, and I've heard that Porcupine Tree is very good. Any suggestions?

Thank you! 8)
If you're interested in 70s progressive rock, I'd like to recommend Roxy Music and Brian Eno. They may be a little more "arty" than the others you mention, which is probably why they were ignored a lot by radio stations in the 70s. But they come highly recommended by me. Mid-70s solo Eno seems Floyd influenced, whether he was influenced by them or not I don't know.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Yet Another Movie wrote:Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac albums. That's all.
In my opinion, OK Computer is a better album and much more Floyd-ish than either of those, although all three are very good albums.

I'd highly recommend both Fragile and Close to the Edge by Yes. Rush's 2112 is a great album too.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Drafsak mentioned the flaming lips, i personally wouldn't call them prog rock or anything, but i stand by that. The Flaming Lips are incredible, especially their recent album Youshimi Battles The Pink Robots or something.

I'd advise the coral, they may be psychadelia, but that's sort of prog rock innit? Taking it's heed from early floyd and captain beefheart they sound just like a 60's era band. Brilliant.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

You also need to check out some of the Canterbury bands such as Caravan and Soft Machine . Let us also not forget Gong, in many of it's incarnations, was progressive rock/psychedelic. Anyone that is into Floyd should at least give a listen to these bands. Another of these bands would be National Health. Most of these bands were going strong into the late 70's. Robert Wyatt is still going strong as is Kevin Ayers and Daevid Allen, all of Soft Machine.

Eno was definitely IMO influenced by Pink Floyd, especially his stuff in the 70's.

I also thought John Wetton's band UK was pretty good for a prog rock band.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

The Yes Album is the best, er, Yes album. It's actually got tunes. :lol: