Dead greatful

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Dead greatful

Post by David Smith »

Ok, you can alll say it now, David always applies awful puns as titles and this is possibally the VERY worst. But hey, this isn't intended to be a huge thread so what does it matter, in a few days it won't be disgracing the general discussion first page anymore.

I got an album today, Greatful Dead, American Beauty, and i thought it was really good. I'm just wondering where i should go next in the collection. The cd shop owner advised one called The Working Man's Greatful Dead or something, but then again he also said Bob Dylan had never done a bad song so i think he's a bit out of it.

What would all you Greatful Dead fans advise?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Yeah, apparently Workingman's Dead is a classic... I don't own anything by "The Dead", so please advise me too! :wink:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

i for one enjoy your puns very much David, i love puns.

as for grateful dead, i have no idea, not too familiar with them, but i am a somewhat big Phish fan, and they are similar, so i might have to check them out
PBR_Fan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PBR_Fan »

Get Europe '72, its a live-double album, the Dead at their best, and a really good way to get into the Dead
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Get Europe '72, its a live-double album, the Dead at their best, and a really good way to get into the Dead
That is a killer album also the "Dicks Picks" albums are really good although there are about 28 of them. Check out this site for more info

http://www.dead.net/
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Agree with all of the above. If you like American Beauty you will like
Workingman's Dead. Very similar in styles. Those are the best studio albums. After that, go for live stuff as stated above (Dick's Picks are all live). You might go with Europe 72 for more accessible sounding stuff or go to Live Dead which is trippier and more introspective and psychedelic.

They sound different at different periods in their carreer just as the Floyd did only more so (very chameleon-like). Personally, my favorite year for shows was 1977 and there are a few Dicks Picks out there from that year.

David, PM me if you wish to go on with this. I could send you some stuff if you contact me. Most of my live stuff is on disc as Dick's Pick's though I have alot of tapes, just got into trading cdr's so have very litttle in the way of roios of the Dead that are not Dick's picks but I can sure get you started.

How come sometimes it allows Dick's Picks and sometimes dicks picks? :shock: :D I guess i should have incorrectly used Dicks instead of Dick's with an apostrophe.
David Smith

Grateful dead

Post by David Smith »

Cheers for the offer and stuff but i consider it against my personal morals to have anyone from America sending anything across to Britain, that they go out of their ways to copy a cd and then pay a bit to send it across the ocean is a thought i never liked much havin' done nothing to deserve it.

Thanks anyway. And i'm getting that Grateful dead working man's album soon, still got a lot to learn on em though, as you probably noticed in the thread i didn't spell the bands name properly once.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Actually, do you want to do a b&p? If so then pm us back.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

American Beauty was the first Grateful Dead album I purchased myself. I also own Workingman's Dead, Dead Set, In The Dark, and I have a number of Dick's Picks on my computer. All are good. You really can't go wrong with their albums, but if you want a good best of album, get Skeletons In The Closet.

Ripple is the best song on American Beauty. I suggest you download Casey Jones, Uncle Tom's Band, and Terrapin Station.