My, we got a great review from up here

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

My, we got a great review from up here

Post by David Smith »

The official worst title ever has just been used!

Anyway, the point in this thread is for if you've seen, read or listened to anything you feel like reviewing, either to say how good it is or how bad it is, then do so here and we can alert out fellow floydians of something great or gash.

Lets get the ball rolling on a film i saw this weekend:

Dreamcatcher **

Being a nice guy i think it's fair to warn you NOT to see Dreamcatcher. If like me you've read Stephen King before or seen films like Stand By me and The Shawshank Redemption then you probably had high hopes for another adaption. Then again if you've ever seen films like Hearts In Atlantis and It then you probably know these can go VERY badly to.

Dreamcatcher begins fairly badly, a few scenes that establish 4 guys to have the shining (psychic for those uneducated in Stephen King) and also another few special powers. Moments later one of them gets run over, cut to 6 months later and the 4 of them are now heading down to the woods to stay. Of course, being a part horror film things aren't as they seem.

This means for the next 2 hours the group hang about in a forest over run with infection and alien activity, ok, that could be ok. However, i'm not sure how to put this, but they come face to face wiuth some mutant turds.

Ok, so Dogma had a mutant turd (and Jason Lee to round of the comparisson) and it was good. Well that's because Dogma was a comedy film and had no more than 3 minutes that featured this beast, in Dreamcatcher these poops are the main villains, that is aside from a truly pathetic alien which makes you just wish the poops could come back.

Morgan Feeman as usual plays someone involved with the law, does he ever not? Well he walks around playing the least complex character of all time and is involved in a hilarious scene in which he scoots over the forest in a helicopter.

And the final twist. My god, if you don't see it coming a mile off then i';m surprised. However, if you could predict how badly it would be executed then i'd also be surprised. But something about this film stops me from giving it a one star review.

You see, for all the wrong it does (which there's a lot) it does manage to hold your attention and make you atleast want the lead characters to come out on top. The locations are also good and of the few tense moments that are in the film (of which there are very few) you almost forget that the battle is against a bunch of poops and an awful alien and manage to gert absorbewd by the miseensene just enough to enjoy it. T

That said those occasions are very few and aside from frequent set pieces that ruin the gimmick of someone's mind being like a house the narrative is amasingly obvious with few tricks or breaks in the action to make you take in what you're seeing.

Don't watch it unless you've read the book, 'cause i'm guessing the book is much better and it's not fair to consider this film a fair representation of Stephen King's work, altrhough much of the dialogue probably came from it.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

god that movie sucked, i kinda liked it up to the alien part, i just thought it was terrible

but i did see Identity friday night and i must say it was great. i love thriller type movies and i thought this one was excellent. also, it has more of a surprise ending than the sixth sense and unbreakable put together. i ejoyed it alot and i recommend it to everyone
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

well that sucks to know, previews looked good
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Confused.

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Good afternoon. Today I wrote some weirdness while experiencing Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live - Pink Floyd - 1980-81. It's confused, rant-esque and felt-heart, so be shawn. :|

:)

MC: Atmos.
The two Gary Yudman speeches add a lot of atmosphere, I think. His voice reminds me of Marv Albert's (the voice of the NBA!) in Perfect Sense Part II. Probably because it's North American. :| I love the sounds of the band getting ready in the 'ground... Impatience and 'ticipation galores... :-s

I must admit, The Wall in its live setting makes a lot of sense. It's the way it was meant to be experienced, really... How Roger Waters felt at the time, and how he wanted to present those feelings and opinions in a live, theatrical way...

:?

In The Flesh?
DANG!!! What a classic moment. By Jupiter, if those mighty guitar chords don't get you, you're a freaking robot. :lol: Quite like the drum sound on this album... Plenty of cymbals... Snare sounds typically live... Crunchy, like an aging sweet... #-o Backing vocals are pretty sweet. All the singing sound exhilerated, if you know what I don't. Excited and exciting. Must have been amazing to see. :cry:

"LIGHTS!"

I think I'm about to faint.

:P

The Thin Ice.
By all things good, this is great stuff. David Gilmour's voice on this song is something else. I like the way he says "Daddy". :| And "blue". :P Mmm. :lol: It's heaven, and you know it's true. :D Enough of the W.v.G. arguments, they're both geniuses! :lol: And here comes Roger... Sneering is the word I shall use! (In a good way.) "Milleeon..." Classic. Oh god, when the guitar comes in... Come on, guys, give me the guitar! "Feearr..." Yes, yes, here it comes!

DWANG!

What a great album. Oh the melodrama! :lol: And the way it creeps into ABITW Part 1... Oh, what moments...

:D

Another Brick In The Wall Part 1.
"...'CROSS the O-cean..." It's magic. Just magic. "...MEM-oh-REE!" Love the rhythm in the guitar... "FAM'ly AL-bum..." Prefer the studio version my self, but still, a feeling. More creepy, tight; less loose - but again, a feeling! A feeling very. :| Some extra synth lines are welcome genuine. Some 01:40 in. :P Love the noodling and meandering a while before the ominous 'copter comes drifting into earshot... A great sense of build & rise, 'ticipation & feeling... :o

Works well as a live "album", doesn't it? Considering it's "culled" from several shows, I mean. :)

Ah, the trinkling, twinkling piano. That's nice, I like it. :) And...

...the helicopter. 8)

Good Scots voice here... "YOU!" Class. You love it. You all love it. You know you all love it. :lol:

:wink:

The Happiest Days Of Our Lives.
Burst forth, phsyco-drama! Pictures from generic yoofs. Nice drums. Hi-hats are sweet enough... Still prefer the studio... :oops: Shuddering and juddering, unease and multiple genio... :-s

"Their fat and psycopathic wives". What an extract this is. It really is. Classic line-ism.

:lol:

Another Brick In The Wall Part 2.
Ah, the transatlantic-number-one-smash. :lol: Some nice applause rides with the opening bars like a hand-tide...

[-D-] [-D-] [-D-]

Don't like the guitar sound much. :-# L'originale est untoppable, me reckons, like. [-( L'originale est so crisp, tight, compact and effect'. :|

Can't believe they got the school children in to sing it! Good choice... Donn wonn no' galls here for diss... No diss in itself, just echo-isms won-ted. :-s

Not too sure about the ride cymbal being used under the first solo by DG... They always do that. :roll: Rather like the oddbeat, "3/3"-esque drum fills into the second guitar solo, though, and...

...the organ! Yes! Love the organ. That's classic. A really great addition. Jam it, boys, we'll be listening. 8)

Love the "tape effects" (? Dark Side) overlapping at the end... Nice fade... Crowd whoops for a while...

:)

Mother.
Nice, sweet, baby acoustic-isms. S'like Pigs On The Wing... Sad, great vocal, plenty of delay.

"Mother do you think they'll like this song?"

Yes. Yes we do.

Always seems to be quite popular in America, on the radio, Stateside, and in genero, or so I seem to have been given the impression of... :-k

"Mother should I build the wall?"

Not a sausage.

CLAP, you idiots! Why don't you clap?

"Mother shall I write a classic album?"

Not a whiff.

"Mother shall I change some people's lives for the better?"

Nope.

"Mother am I an absolute genius?"

Bag of zip.

"Oooh-ahhh, is it just a waste of time?"

No, Rog, it ain't! It simply ain't. S'very worthwhile indeed. DG's singing here is very good. He's a really good singer, good live, good good good.

The End. Didn't have the finger-work to staminize the rest.

:| :lol: :arrow:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Confused.

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:Not a sausage.
So this may be waaaaay off topic (although I don't now if there really is a topic here), but what does that mean? Reason why I ask is, is that there's a line in Brian Eno's "Backwater" (Before and After Science) that uses that line, specifically, "not a sausage to do." Is this strictly a Britishism? Haven't heard it ever over here.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Pugs on the Wing wrote:
Feeling Very Pink wrote:Not a sausage.
So this may be waaaaay off topic (although I don't now if there really is a topic here), but what does that mean? Reason why I ask is, is that there's a line in Brian Eno's "Backwater" (Before and After Science) that uses that line, specifically, "not a sausage to do." Is this strictly a Britishism? Haven't heard it ever over here.
Well, I got it from The Goon Show. It means "nothing", or "silence". :)
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:Well, I got it from The Goon Show. It means "nothing", or "silence". :)
So Floyd's original working title of the song "Echoes" could have been "Return of the Son of Not a Sausage" and on the track Atom Heart Mother someone could have said "Not a sausage in the studio!" :D
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Pugs on the Wing wrote:
Feeling Very Pink wrote:Well, I got it from The Goon Show. It means "nothing", or "silence". :)
So Floyd's original working title of the song "Echoes" could have been "Return of the Son of Not a Sausage" and on the track Atom Heart Mother someone could have said "Not a sausage in the studio!" :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perfect for the Roger Waters 2004 Tour thread.

:lol:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

25th hour ****

Saw this the other day. Now, unlike slating things i have a genuine disability to write positivly about something so this is going to be very short.

Ed Norton is incerdible, he actually gains your sympathy throughout, with brilliant dialouge, first class direction, a genuine warmth in the attitudes of the characters and the ending is incredibly moving. Just as you think it's corny nonsense the last shot makes you think differently with a chilling final voice over.

This is a moving experience of a film, well worth watching for everyone. Watch out for a scene where Ed Norton has his best friend purposly beat the **** out of him and try to avoid a feeling of sadness that builds up from your gut and takes over your whole body. Nasty stuff but at the same time brilliant.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

David Smith wrote:It's better to burn out than to fade away
My my, hey hey
Why is it better to burn out than to fade away? My my, hey hey?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yeah. Classic song eh? Neil Young was a once in a century talent.

So, is it better to burn out that to fade away? i have to say i'm unsure and i don't think Neil Young's taken his own advice. He could have ended there instead of becoming an old git.

Why couldn't he have burnt out? Hypocrit.

Actually, if we're speaking about musicians it's better to stop when the goings good, although thats stop, not kill yourself or nothing. Myself, i hope to live till about... dunno, not to old and not to young, i want a family anyway and maybe a bit of time to see grand children. Then again, knwoing my luck and appeal that could take a bloody long time :lol:
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

David Smith wrote:Yeah. Classic song eh? Neil Young was a once in a century talent.

So, is it better to burn out that to fade away? i have to say i'm unsure and i don't think Neil Young's taken his own advice. He could have ended there instead of becoming an old git.
Do you like Trans?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

meddler wrote:
David Smith wrote:Yeah. Classic song eh? Neil Young was a once in a century talent.

Do you like Trans?
Don't get me started on Trans. I love it to death. 'Hold Onto Your Love' and 'Transformer Man' are magic! :D
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I love it as well, its just so ******* hard to find :) I put the stars in on purpouse... i didnt really say fucking... lol. :x
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Oh god, actually i have heard trans. Just awful IMO.

I don't know why Neil triend it. That and Landing On water may have been a new direction, but it just wasn't Neil Young. Quite why he did an entire album with a machine i don't know, but i don't think he should have bothered.