Download Pink floyd music legally

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Download Pink floyd music legally

Post by drafsack »

I heard on the radio on friday that EMI have struck up a deal with several internet companies which would allow people to purchase and download pink floyd and many other of their artists music. It seems you log on to the site, pay your money, download the music files and artwork files onto your hard drive and then burn your music onto a disc. They didn't say how much it would cost but I would still prefer to get the pre packaged album any time rather than the DIY version.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.dotmusic.co.uk have been doing it for ages with the record companies approval. :-) They call it "on demand". Seems like a decent 21st century distribution model to me. :lol:
NiceJangly
Axe
Axe

Post by NiceJangly »

As long as they don't use 'lossy' compression.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Seen where it cost 99cents per song.Once you pay you can burn how ever many copies of it you want for personal use in any form. :-;
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I've always preferred buying albums in shops, although it's less of an "experience" now because I've got virtually everything (official) that I need, so my search isn't so big. :lol: I just like album cover artwork, you know, and the whole package in general. :) I mean, need I say more than Wish You Were Here? Even the remastered CD looks pretty good! :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

I just heard on the news today that Apple will have some $.99/song music file downloading service. You don't even have to download an entire album...just the songs you want. The reporter was downplaying it because "Apple only has 3% of the market" ( :evil: I hate that attitude). But it will probably serve as a model for other platforms as well.

I have mixed feelings about it though...not ethically, but personally. It's just not the same as buying an official release with glossy artwork. I have very fond memories of buying LPs, the smell that came with them, cutting my thumb as my nail severed the celophane over the opening, anticipation of what I would find inside, and now, the frustration of removing that holographic tape on a CD that never removes smoothly. I cherish those memories.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Apple said before christmas they will have a program for windows software,so they are expecting it to go over rather well.The music industry is expected to start sueing people that download songs illeagly.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I thought that pink floyd didn't care weather theres illeagal recordings about. THat's why theres so many bootlegs. Right?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

MikeWaters wrote:I thought that pink floyd didn't care weather theres illeagal recordings about. THat's why theres so many bootlegs. Right?
Roger said collecting RoIOs is a healthy hobby. Gilmour said that bootlegging doesn't bother him but it is a bad thing for bands starting out. Roger was referring to unofficial material and, as far as I know, Gilmour was referring to counterfit copies of official albums sold to look exactly like official ones in chain stores etc. I am not sure to what Gilmour was referencing. Anybody?
pfco

Post by pfco »

Keith Jordan wrote: I am not sure to what Gilmour was referencing. Anybody?
David said he has no problem with people collecting them, he just thinks the quality leaves a lot to be desired. He and the rest of the band however does not agree with the selling of boots, and in this respect PF is no different than any other band about their product.

Sandy
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Keith Jordan wrote:...counterfit copies of official albums sold to look exactly like official ones
Wouldn't that be considered "pirating" as opposed to bootlegging? I am totally, totally against pirating, as well as d'lding files off an album to circumvent buying the official release that is still in print (I have no problem w/it if it is out of print). People who do this have no understanding of what it is like to survive off of your art (I do, but as a visual artist, not as a musician). Maybe they think the members of PF can afford to not make money, but regardless of whether they're multi-millionaires or struggling living royalty check to royalty check, they should be treated the same regardless. Maybe the next band they rip off won't be as fortunate as PF, and maybe some day they'll be in a band themselves and feel differently.

Taping concerts and trading them or offering them up as mp3s is more like historical documentation, and if I were in a band, I'd have no problem with it myself.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:Maybe they think the members of PF can afford to not make money, but regardless of whether they're multi-millionaires or struggling living royalty check to royalty check, they should be treated the same regardless.
I agree. It's a matter of principle, really.