Childhood's End

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Childhood's End

Post by Useful Idiot »

Why the heck does no one talk about this song? It's one of my favorites. Discuss.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Just wait for Syd'sMadcapGirl to get on this! :)
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:Just wait for Syd'sMadcapGirl to get on this! :)
Heh heh heh heh heh.

I am SOOOOOO in love with this song. I mean, REALLY. This and "Wots....Uh, The Deal?" are PHENOMENALLY AMAZING and FANTASTIC and YEEEEEEEAH.......

Kinda funny this song should come up. It's somewhat the soundtrack of what has been going on as of late in my personal life. I just closed the last adolescent open door...a long lost love (the guy who even got me into Syd Barrett when I was 16)...a very sad tale indeed, leaving memories now where they are, and facing now the "harsh realities" of being a grown up. I have nothing left to hang onto from my younger days...."Childhood's End" indeed! Somewhat refreshing, but also sad. Onward!!!

I don't know why this song has never really been brought up. I guess I talk about it a lot in personal conversations. I ADORE IT. Nothing like starting a day out right, listening to "Obscured By Clouds" while drinking my morning coffee and basking in the glory of the gentle morning sun!!! A day that begins with a smile is often destined to be a wonderful day indeed!

Life is grand! "Childhood's End" is.........just, WOW! If I could only communicate what this song means to me, I'd be beside myself with joy, just to be able to find those words in the English language.

A tear now forms....yeah. That's life!
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

It's a great song, probably my favorite that Dave has written. As a matter of fact, OBC is a great album. Like their other soundtrack records they experimented alot and you can hear little bits and pieces of future songs.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

It sounds like What Do You Want From Me (?) years before it came out. Dave's voice is brilliant on it and the lyrics are quite nice to.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

One of the greatest ever...a precursor to "Time," even with the atmospheric beginning and Roger ticking away on his bass.

I agree with Syd's Madcap Girl that OBC is a great way to kick off a morning...the two opening instrumentals get your blood pumping and then Burning Bridges kind of takes the edge off for you. TGIIT...and W...UTD are two more of my all time favorite Floyd tracks.

It's a great album...in some ways a dry run for DSOTM and in some ways (largely because it's not as burned out in my mind) a better album...why do I have the feeling I'm going to have to justify that last remark?
Neil

Post by Neil »

mosespa wrote:It's a great album...in some ways a dry run for DSOTM and in some ways (largely because it's not as burned out in my mind) a better album...why do I have the feeling I'm going to have to justify that last remark?
You shouldn't have to justify anything if it's your opinion.. it's certainly more 'raw' and less produced than Dark Side..

It would be interesting for all of us if we'd never have listened to a single Floyd album at this point, and also know nothing about their past history. Then spend about 2 or 3 days listening to them all and come to a conclusion then about what's the best. Rather than spending years listening to hype and media opinion about certain albums - which may/or may not affect our opinions consiously or subconciously..
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Not Now Neil wrote:
mosespa wrote:It's a great album...in some ways a dry run for DSOTM and in some ways (largely because it's not as burned out in my mind) a better album...why do I have the feeling I'm going to have to justify that last remark?
You shouldn't have to justify anything if it's your opinion.. it's certainly more 'raw' and less produced than Dark Side..

It would be interesting for all of us if we'd never have listened to a single Floyd album at this point, and also know nothing about their past history. Then spend about 2 or 3 days listening to them all and come to a conclusion then about what's the best. Rather than spending years listening to hype and media opinion about certain albums - which may/or may not affect our opinions consiously or subconciously..
true true true !!!
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

love this song, kinda does remind me of Time
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Love the song, Great lyrics, great music, great guitar solo.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Its a pity that C.H.E was not played live more. It made a brief apperance between the end of 72 and the start of 73. Reading the post made me drag out a copy of one of the shows and play it.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

I love CE. What a great plodding beat, great cruching guitar....just an awesome song from an awesome record!
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

Obcured by clouds is a fantasmological album! i love childhoods end but my fav song is "FREE FOUR", that is such a wonderful song, great pessimistic lyrics and a wonderful upbeat tune.........nice! :D
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

AthousandMilesOfMoonlight wrote:Obcured by clouds is a fantasmological album! i love childhoods end but my fav song is "FREE FOUR", that is such a wonderful song, great pessimistic lyrics and a wonderful upbeat tune.........nice! :D
That's my fave off the album too.
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

great minds think alike!