May 2003 Record Collector - DG interview highlights

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

May 2003 Record Collector - DG interview highlights

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

What is the secret behind Pink Floyd's pan-generational appeal?
Quality. Universal themes. I can understand it. It's good stuff. People listen to Neil Young and Joni Mitchell the same way. We're in a fine, select group - it's great for every new generation to investigate. I'm happy to be considered part of it.

What's your view of the mystical side of it? You've always seemed to keep a respectful distance.
Our music has depth, and attempts philosophical thought and meaning with discussions of infinity, eternity and mortality. There is a line which people cross that turns it into some magical, mystical realm, for which I can't claim responsibility - and don't hold any great truck with.

All of your best-known material was honed on the road, wasn't it?
That's slightly a myth. Dark Side was fashioned out on the road, because we started playing and honing it, but it wasn't that common. Things like 'Echoes' we had done live, and later, with the Animals stuff, we had done the two tracks on the '74 tour. They were part of the oeuvre before being unleashed officially, but Dark Side Of The Moon was the one where that belief comes from - and it did help make it better, as we were pretty well conversant with the music.

In the middle of all that honing, you made Obscured By Clouds. What do you make of it now?
Good fun. Chateau De Herouville. We never catagorised film soundtracks in the same way, that's why they never make it onto collections.

With the success of your in-concert DVD, how long before the Floyd venture into the DVD market?
Pulse will come out. It's so over-the-top that we haven't managed to do a decent test yet, getting the vision and visuals on to DVD. Pompeii is not owned by us, we have no control over it, but it's being turned into a new, groovier version. Adrien Maben, the director, said he'd find lots of extra footage, but he's lost it. So he's making up footage of ludicrous architectural designs of what Pompeii might have looked like. Just stick with the original! This new form is not approved by me. There is lots of stuff we'd love to get our hands on, sitting in some tin can somewhere in a vault.

We shot the original in Italy, did cutaway shots and sound mixing in France, and then did the extra shooting while we were at Abbey Road - and the company that originally made it was German. No one has an idea where the ____ it is!

There is quite a fair bit of footage in the studio during the making of Dark Side Of The Moon. It's a bit of a con - it wasn't the real recording. It's me sitting on a stool re-doing an overdub to 'Eclipse', with the same guitar, but when the record was actually finished. And those bits of Roger pretending to do 'On The Run' where he hadn't done it in the first place!

How did you feel about the Echoes collection?
I was delighted with the whole package. It's pretty near the perfect Pink Floyd primer. I mostly put it all together and got my way 99% of the time. It's a very good career overview. I'm surprised that these things sell, as I think just about everyone who would want it has already got it in its proper place. There are people who sit at computers all day and make their own best-ofs, as I do with other people's stuff. I made a great Beach Boys one, so it's nice for me to do it for others.

He also talks about Joker's Wild and Syd Barrett. Nothing new, though, really. :)

I'm tired. :lol:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: May 2003 Record Collector - DG interview highlights

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

How did you feel about the Echoes collection? I mostly put it all together and got my way 99% of the time.
99%? Unfortunately, he was unable to get Fat Old Sun on the record, which is better than anything on DB and MLOR. What about that god-awful title he proposed? I am sure he did not choose to put The Fletcher Memorial Home and When The Tigers Broke Free on the record. 99%? Right.

Nevertheless, I am sure everyone will have no problem with him getting nearly all of the credit for such an awful compilation :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

He wanted to call it Some Of The Parts.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Yeah, I know. But he didn't get his way, did he?
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Yeah, I know. But he didn't get his way, did he?
Instead Roger came up with the quite original title "echoes", which is really inventive and a sign of his immense creativity. Really, always something new. Same thing happened when he searched for a title for his 1999-tour.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

This argument stops here - David's professional side

Anyone got anything else to say about the rest of the interview?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I'm not as excited about Pompeii as I once was.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

quicksilver wrote:I'm not as excited about Pompeii as I once was.
Yeah, what Gilmour said does sort of slightly (only slightly) tarnish my anticipations and hopes a bit.

But all I ask is that everything on the VHS is on the DVD. Anything else is just gravy.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Spinoza wrote: Instead Roger came up with the quite original title "echoes", which is really inventive and a sign of his immense creativity.
I think "Echoes" is quite a good title for a PF Greatest Hits album. It is certainly better than the ultra-corny Some Of The Parts.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Pugs on the Wing wrote:But all I ask is that everyth ng on the VHS is on the DVD. Anything else is just gravy.
If you ask me, AAA sound alone will make the DVD better. If it is the VHS with better sound then it is a great product.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:If you ask me, AAA sound alone will make the DVD better. If it is the VHS with better sound then it is a great product.
Yeah, makes one wonder why he would say "stick to the original" unless he means the laserdisc version (like we all have *that*!).
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Surely he just means the content? Ie, the film, and the Dark Side stuff as well, I guess.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Makes no odds to me as I don't own Live At Pompeii at all :oops: (I know, I know...) so I can't wait for the DVD, it's ALL new to me!! :D
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Hmmm...I had heard it was going to be Sum of the parts, As daves selection.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

I just read the interview they have over at http://pinkfloyds.fika.org/intgilmourrcmay2003_.htm

This part sort of left me, um, baffled:

RC: Do you ever have to pinch yourself because youre playing next to people like Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend and Bryan Ferry?

DG: Im a kid, really. You get into Studio Two at Abbey Road, you're sitting there with Paul McCartney and your guitar is plugged in. You think thats an ordinary days works, but of course it isn't its magical! Managing to persuade him to sing I Saw Her Standing There at the Cavern, with me doing the John Lennon parts, was absolutely fantastic. I've been in The Who, I've been in The Beatles and I've been in Pink Floyd! Top that, motherfucker!

----

Playing with Townshend and McCartney is NOT the same as *being in* The Who and The Beatles.